Is there something that can be done about this behavior?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Sherelle, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

What is this 'n-word' you speak of?
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I think it is ningbat.. I personally find that word extremely offensive.

I am glad to see that admins have the gumption to address hate speech like this and in a cool headed fashion. giving somebody a standard to live up to will only elevate, not subjugate.

And then once we stand atop the lofty peaks of morality we can toss boulders down on all those who are debased! Muahahahaha....

Ok. I really don't know what I meant by this, but it made me chuckle and i've already invested six minutes into it so I have to submit

tl;dr Jupiter supports the way this was addressed. I'm glad folks are given the opportunity to change.
  3. Elf

Elf New Member

Nincompoop!
  4. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Noxmage
  5. Ningauble

Ningauble Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Well played sir
  6. [Mobolin]

[Mobolin] Active Member

Hahahahahaha WTFPWNED!
  7. PrayingMantits

PrayingMantits New Member

Well this evening(turkish time,dont know where it falls on the EST timeline) me and a buddy of mine were trying to tame dragons and then we died(plot twist),long story short gambit looted us and unnecessarily used verbal abuse,i don't know if it will help you knowing this but a friend of my buddy named hex mundokill(?) got him in the end and delivered him to sweet release of death.
    Needlesly to say i got my stuff back
  8. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

I'm gonna guess that was Hax Mandoo, to the rescue!

Unfortunately, this isn't the only time I've heard of such verbal abuse from Gambit, based on reports on irc. Every few days, someone has a run in with Gambit or Big Hammer and is saying similar.
  9. Elf

Elf New Member

Ahh, sweet revenge!
  10. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

I like noxrage
  11. Sha-noobie

Sha-noobie Member

I think you should be able to say just about anything you want. That is what the ignore tool is for. Clearly this guy is a crybaby, but I enjoyed the screenshots and will rofl everytime i see him.
  12. [Mobolin]

[Mobolin] Active Member

using the ignore feature also means you can't see that person casting spells...so...no, you shouldn't "be able to say just about anything you want". And I believe everyone else was appreciative of the approach staff took when handling this situation.
    Huzke likes this.
  13. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Gambit is very rude anytime I PK him. His horse is even named offensive things sometimes.
    One likes this.
  14. Philthie

Philthie Member

Some guy kept following me and calling me an ass for no reason the other day and I had to tell him to F off before ignoring him. It made me feel guilty for swearing, only in UO would I ever feel that swearwords are out of place. Which is weird cus I have a potty mouth irl.
  15. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

No.
  16. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

The rich/popular get screwed for doing less, it is opposite of the real world!
  17. marine1217

marine1217 Member

I agree, I pick and choose when i decide to use inappropriate words... But walking around acting like what has taken place or having someone say that too me is not called for. I know many of us are older and there are features too ignore and i beleive block "bad" words, i do not think many will have this checked or on before someone does. I find i would not like this server so much if everyone I ran into started off as gambit or chased me around saying such things. It is immature and very verbally abusive to our player population. If this continues i expect him to not be on our server, lowering our player population beacuse he wants to be an asshole online.
  18. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

The reason I support staff intervention of this kind of behavior is that it is often these wild-card characters who have time to play UO 24/7; unlike the majority of our base, stable, and primary population. As such, they often are seen as representing all of us because statistically they just have more chances of encountering everyone in the shard. Just one loose tongued and careless individual who is online 24/7 acting like a schmuck makes the rest of us look bad.

I'm in favor of allowing as much freedom as possible, however, I feel we can strongly make the case that this person is also infringing on my rights.

Absence of law does not = Freedom. That is Anarchy, and I'll have no part of it.

Presence of meaningful rules, consented by the people, and enforcement of those rules = Self-governed Freedom. I can live with that.

Also to clarify the end result of this incident is that the nefarious Gambit was talked to and informed of the policy; there was no banning that I am aware of that took place. I think a very fitting response.

However, it is inconclusive if this individual has continued to 'risk' further consequence and continued with his pervasive remarks.