Key Cloning is legal here?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by TreeHugger, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I don't see CUO on there which would be good to have for anyone checking out the website first which is exactly what I did when I was initially checking out UOR.

How about mul-patch mods? More clarification on that subject would be better explained on the actual website instead of players waiting to stumble upon those threads on the forum.

Most of us understand why those are accepted, but most are left in the grey area until its clarified eventually but that sometimes takes quite a while. All we're asking is the same process for key cloning software. For clarification.

We were told that key cloning was deemed legal here. Not something I or any of my guild mates have any intention of using whether it's legal or not. But it is nice to know what we would be up against and I see no issue.

Telling players to use their best judgment is what gets them in trouble. If other players are telling a newer player that it's ok to use, then why wouldn't they? Key cloning is a software, what's the big deal about putting it in the Allowed or Explicitly Not Allowed section just like the others?

Why are direct yes or no answers so difficult?
    BlackEye, PaddyOBrien and TreeHugger like this.
  2. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

THIS ☝️
    BUT MORE SO THIS.
    BlackEye likes this.
  3. Fenrir

Fenrir Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Your name was not used, so if the shoe don't fit, you aint Cinderella...
    Mr. Green likes this.
  4. Fenrir

Fenrir Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Best judgement is all anyone has when it comes to grey areas. Chris has never banned someone for honestly using their best judgement

Why is it so hard for a Yes or No answer... cause its Chris' server, he is the ONLY one who can make that call. And then when you have a solid yes or no answer, folks want to "report" others for violations... its simply easier to enforce fewer rules and deal with the grey areas on a case by case basis...
  5. TreeHugger

To Hollywood’s point.
    CUO was being used before it was “approved”. Is Key Cloning the same type of deal?
  6. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member

Who was using CUO before it was approved?
  7. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 2, 2023
    gitchu1000 and Earsnot like this.
  8. TreeHugger

But if you were using it before the rule is implemented, you can still be banned. So I’m told.
  9. TreeHugger

Ask around my dude.
    Most of us saw it for the first time in a screenshot when some dudes horse had ground effects
  10. One

One Well-Known Member

Earsnot and TreeHugger like this.
  11. TreeHugger

Still no answer. Shocking.
    Kiryana likes this.
  12. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

So Chris has not responded to your PMs?
  13. TreeHugger

This isn't a personal issue. This is a global issue and shouldn't be addressed via PM in my personal opinion.

Also using CUO should be addressed at the same time. The client is literally game changing and unless you've read the forums, you'd never know you can use it here. If you read the TOS, you'd be forbidden.

I think we need a wee update, globally, on what is regulated/unregulated and what is allowable/unallowable.
    One, Kiryana and Hollywood like this.
  14. Pedigar

Pedigar Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
  15. One

One Well-Known Member

Pedigar likes this.
  16. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

No doubt this place could use some dedicated community relations management. I was just asking if you had heard anything and to pass it on if you had. Cause unless Chris posts here, that's all anyone has to go on... what they heard...
    Xavant_BR and One like this.
  17. WarrenBuffet

WarrenBuffet Well-Known Member

May I ask where you heard this? @Hollywood or at least if it was from some kind authority figure with the shard?
  18. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Definitely not an authoritative figure which is why we are interested in clarification from one of them. Heard it from a guy that likes to keep low on the radar unlike me who likes to bring stuff like this to light so players have an equal understanding across the board on what is legal and what is not. But as you read from Earsnot, lots of people are aware and have asked an official ruling on it. Don't need one of Telamon's epically long reponses. "No, but I will look into updating the website on the various" would suffice. I have seen him respond and answer questions multiple times in the past regarding art modifications, and I think it would benefit him to have the subject explained on the website so any other questions, anyone can just do !artmods on discord and it sends them to the link instead of him having to reiterate those explanations of, "well it's not enforceable so we sort of but don't really allow it but can't really do anything about it." (not a direct quote from him btw).

Is it not enforceable like client modificaitons? http://uorforum.com/threads/modding-the-client.4820/#post-35233 and why it hasn't been touched upon for an explanation?
    WarrenBuffet likes this.
  19. Tobias the Brigand

Tobias the Brigand Well-Known Member

If the issue is “let’s get this guy in trouble because he is doing something I don’t know how to do.” Then this will be my only post on this thread. And I will not partake in a lynching.
    However, if a staff member states that “key cloning” (not the only term for it) is allowed here, or atleast not a bannable offense. Then I would be happy to shed some light on the how-to do this, as I have experience using such mechanics for many other non UO related applications.
    For those of you who believe this is a CUO level game changer, then you are wrong. The application for this topic is quite limited, and the advantages are specific to certain circumstances which are easily mitigated through being a skilled player who knows how to operate already approved UO:R endorsed programs.
    With that being said, as with anything you can break the rules even if using an approved program. For example, afk farming by any means unattended is plainly stated as against the rules. This can be done via razor. Additionally, controlling another player’s character is
    completely possible via razor- given the proper macros. For example, I use snooping on my archers to initiate cross healing based on absolute targets. However, I may not use this macro system to farm / gather with another players character who is running the same macro. That is against the rules.
    While this is just one example, the point i s that by utilizing the many tools available to you already, you can achieve many things. I would encourage you all to explore the limits of CUO (as I have) and push those boundaries within the rule set applicable to you before seeking to use a 3rd party program. You may discover that this mysterious program is far more limited than you anticipated.
    In summary, the use of key cloning software is by far being given too much credit here. If this 3rd party program is being used by a player, it is a crutch that they will (or already have) become over dependent on. Atrophy is a bitch when your crutch gets swept out from underneath you because you were overconfident.
    Key clover? Pfft...
    In other words,
    Arr!!!
    Kiryana likes this.
  20. TreeHugger

This isn't to get anyone in trouble but your validation isn't perfect nor is it actually correct.

Some key cloning software has the ability to clone keys through multiple machines on the same application. IE: You could be running through a dungeon with... say.. 8 of your guild members and see someone that you want dead. One guy on one machine can push one button and have all 8 accounts cast near simultaneously.

This presents challenges. No? Tough to mitigate 8 FS's hitting you all at once regardless if your skill level.

Again, not calling anyone out and I don't know of anyone that is actively using key cloning software and in reality I do not care if you do or do not use it. I would just like to have a definitive answer as to where we can or cannot do something.