Key Cloning is legal here?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by TreeHugger, Feb 12, 2020.

1. Hydrox

Hydrox Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Agreed

The “rules” state that we can’t use 3rd party applications outside of razor. EasyUo etc.. don’t they?

It’s like running an aimbot on a shooter.
    Applications that give you an unfair advantage over other players should not be allowed and if they are caught, should be treated like anyone else who has broken shard rules.

End of story.
  2. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

The point is this very example can already be achieved through Razor.

So if you want to ban a program because this is possible, you may want to start looking into Razor and other core mechanics of UO as a whole.
  3. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

You can control another computer through razor?

You can control 3 different chars through razor without using comm crystals?
  4. Tobias the Brigand

Tobias the Brigand Well-Known Member

You can, a bit limited by comparison to using the methods in question here in regards to movement. But like I stated before, the third party option is “not all that”
  5. SativaGreen

Yes. Without com crystals, you can still achieve this:

Say, you and I were running together through the dungeon and when I snoop you, it triggers a specific macro to heal me. That is me controlling your character using mine, without using comm crystals or a 3rd party.
  6. TreeHugger

Now were getting into semantics and type specific situations.

What I'm saying is that with no 'triggers' or having to be a square away, you can just hit a button and have your entire guild drop on a guy at nearly the same time.

I just want clarity if that's kosher?

Use it for champing? Log into 9 tamers and run them all from one computer?

I actually don't care as this doesn't affect my play style in the least, but I do crave clarity and would like to know what I am allowed to do, should one day I become a computer wiz.
  7. SativaGreen

With no triggers, no. I don't see how you could replicate the functionality of a key cloner.

However, there are other triggers that don't require your character to be within a tile like the Snooping trigger example. Start looking at any global messages from skills and items in the game give. Is it perfect as a keycloner? No way.

I think the point is that people are replicating key cloner functionality within the scope of "legal programs" already. So while we can ban a program because of this, why not put the same limitations on other aspects of "legal" use, no matter how cumbersome and prone to error it may be.
  8. TreeHugger

Man I'm with ya, don't care what happens just would like someone to put pen to paper for an update as to what can be done/used here.
  9. SativaGreen

I agree and this thread is interesting to me as much as it is to you, because I also enjoy clarity.

However, I don't believe any clarification will stop these playstyles, as that type of player will always find another way to simplify or automate their mechanics.

Especially, as we get more advanced versions of Razor paired with a 0 object delay client. Razor has arguably become more powerful than it has been previously.
  10. Tobias the Brigand

Tree,

I've engaged in battle with people here, on other shards, and on other games that are utilizing such mechanics. I assure you that this crutch is not at all an unstoppable force. A dynamic player can easily adjust their strategy to pick apart these tactics and come out ahead. Should it be allowed? no. Are people doing it? Probably. Is it a game changer.... hell no
  11. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Chris, can you just introduce trammel, but instead of it being trammel it’s exactly the same land, ruleset, mechanics and all the history you genuinely have perfected here, for real, and just let us throw one toon in there each. Naked. No materials, no bank, just that one toon and 30% skill depletion, one way ticket to trammel 2.

You can call it “TRAMMEL PERFECTED”.

I’ll take one ticket please.
    Hydrox and One like this.
  12. Tobias the Brigand

Reported.
    Steady Mobbin and Earsnot like this.