Lair of the Giants (Huge Writing Contest - Treasure Hunting/Tales of Adventure)

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Cero, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

**Sitting in his study Cero reaches for a text that had arrived for him knowing that a quest awaited him within**

The Cave of Giants

Unsettling reports to the Great Council from our allies North of Britain state that a great cadre of giants have taken up residence within the cave system known as the dungeon Despise. A glimpse at their workings revealed that they have crafted something strange – a shrine made of gold!

Travel to the Dungeon Despise and search the cavern system for the golden shrine. Why did the giants make this obelisk? What purpose does it serve? After your investigation of the shrine, travel downward into the hellish cavern and seek out the lair of these Titans and Cyclops. Whatever their intentions were in this part of the Realm, these creatures of ill-virtue must be removed entirely! Destroy every Titan and Cyclops that you encounter. If at all possible, slay the Titans until you can find a map that will lead the Great Council to more information. Give this map to the King’s Steward. Document your investigation and all findings and submit them to the King’s Steward.

- Alex Caember

book.jpg

**Closing the text Cero sat and contemplated his next move. Flexing his sword hand he knew there was only one answer.**

I arrived at the mouth of the Dungeon Despise early morning. On the outside it looked to be a beautiful day, but I knew once entering the air would be stale with little light. Good thing I packed some torches I thought. Having done my research before, I came to learn that the cave system used to be a successful mine. But the real information came not from books but the ale house I visited before I headed north out of Britain. Story has it that the Golden Shrine that I sot was on the upper levels of the complex. After entering the dark hole, and lighting my torch, I ascended the stairs to the upper level. The place still had old mining supplies set up in camps throughout the tunnels, but these tunnels were not empty...Lizardmen were lurking around every corner.

As I made my way along the dark tunnels, I kept my sword handy for when I stumbled upon any of these spine covered creatures that called this place home. Turning one corner the tunnel that lay before me was empty with a large stone pyramid at the end. Atop that pyramid was an ankh. Could this be the golden shrine I was looking for, just covered with years of dust masking its color? I made my way closer and as I did so there was an overwhelming sense of peace that filled me. I sheathed my sword fearing nothing would harm me here. Climbing the pyramid I could tell this was not the golden shrine, for there was not a spec of dust on this place. Almost as if someone or something was tending to the place. Turning I continued on my way, and as I distanced myself from the shrine I could feel the weight of the place return to me. More and more abandoned mining camps I discovered as I made my way along the winding tunnels. Looking down one short passage I discovered another shrine, as I approached the same feeling of peace came over me. Taking a closer look this shrine also did not have any dust a top it. What or who could be keeping this place in such a state? And why as I approach does my soul realize no harm will befall me while I am near these shrines?

shrines1and2.jpg

Making my way down one corridor I found what I was seeking. The golden shrine lay at the end of the tunnel. I must have been distracted by the glow of it because as I made my way closer a group of lizardmen were upon me. They had me out numbered by three to one and the element of surprise. Quickly they had me back on my heels, using my sword and torch to keep them at bay. I was working myself into a defensive rhythm knowing that lizardmen were poor combatants. Parrying a few swings I had my feet below me again and was ready to start my offensive. Swinging my sword and torch across in front of me, I got myself enough room to take one of the lizardmen in the chest laying him low and taking it out of the fight. Two left. Feigning a stab with my torch toward one of their heads gave me plenty of time to put a quick three move combo on the other. Poke and a slash left it open for a third slash to the shoulder. One left, having seen its fellow lizardmen fall to a few quick moves did not bolster the last one’s resolve. With only a few moves of my sword had it backing up and soon it lay on the ground with the other two. Wiping my blade clean I sheathed my sword and approached the golden shrine. Nothing. No sense of peace came over me. The place even looked like it had not been visited in some time. Having no answers I decided to head deeper into the dungeon to look for these giants that were roaming the lower tunnels.

lizardmengoldenshrine.jpg

Descending the steps to the second level of the dungeon I was greeted by one such beast, a giant two-headed creature known as an Ettin. Known for their immense size and not their intelligence, their heads often bicker between each other, giving me enough time to pull my lute from my bag. The beast was quickly lured into a trance like state as I worked my bardic magic. With the creature in a tranquil state I made short work of it with my sword. All along the second level there were signs that I was heading deeper into the Serpent’s Spine Mountain. Clearly the mining operation that had taken place on the first level had never reach these depths. Coming to one corner of the level I discovered a very ornamental stair case descending deeper into the dungeon. Marble pillars with large statues flanked each side of the staircase. Having only more questions then answers I put one foot in front of the other and stepped down into the next level. Reports said that the great Titans lived somewhere within this dungeon, and having not discovered them yet I could only guess that is where I was heading, into the lair of the giants themselves.

ettinandsteps.jpg

Roaming the lower level I found numerous signs of magic, a crystal ball sat on a small pedestal. Unsure of what might happen I edged closer with care. Looking into the crystal there was nothing. A power word might activate it but I am no wizard. Hoping no one was looking back at me, I turned and made my way down the passage. More then once I came upon a small statue made of marble at the end of a tunnel, with no answers in sight I could do nothing but turn around and head deeper. The darkness and the weight of the mountain was beginning to wear me thin.

crystalballandstatue.jpg

Working my way down a tunnel I came upon another crystal ball. Inspecting it much as I did the other and coming to the same answers I could only think that they might have been linked and could be used to observe the entrance to the lair. As I stood there a foul smell lingered from behind me, cautiously I turned...Staring back at me was a massive Cyclops. Seeing as it was about to charge, I tossed my torch to the ground, pulled my lute from my back and played a melody that I could only hope would put the angered beast in a passive state. It worked, the Cyclops stood straight up and stared ahead, pulling my sword from its sheath I began to hack at the behemoth. Injuring and having it near death it awoke from the trance and let out a howl that echoed off the tunnel walls before falling to the ground with a large thud. Figuring that the death cry of the Cyclops would alert others in the area I decided I should make my way out and think over everything I had discovered on my trek into this wretched place.

firstcyc.jpg

I started for the entrance and made it only a few steps before I heard the rumble of what I thought was my certain death. Around a bend in the tunnel came a Titan leading three Cyclops warriors. Knowing I could never out run them I drew a deep breath and faced what lay ahead. Plunging my torch into the ground to give me the use of both hands I played a melody aimed at the Titan. The Titan slowed and stopped, the Cyclopes only hesitated for a second before pushing past their leader. Pulling another torch from my bag and lighting it from the first I spread out a circle of light that I could use as my battle ground. Taking on three giant warriors was not my idea of fun so I began to do my best working my bardic magic while ducking and dodging their heavy swings. Soon I had two of the three peaceful and standing staring into oblivion. My magic was wearing down and I knew I would need it for when the Titan came too. Strapping my lute on my back as I gave ground to the third Cyclops I lite another torch giving myself plenty of vision so that I would not trip over anything. Although these giants are massive in size and could crush me with one hit of their large hammers, they were remarkably slow. Using agility to my advantage I waited for the giant to swing before I made my move to strike. On and on the duel went, the Cyclops would swing and I would strike. Finally the beast was tiring from bleeding a thousand small cuts and I was able to get a killing blow to its neck as it took a knee in exhaustion.

Seeing the Titan beginning to come too I unstrapped my lute and sent another melody its way buying myself some time. Drinking a refresh potion I ran for one of the still tranquil Cyclops. Running up to it and launching off a stalagmite, I plunged my sword deep into its eye. The scream that came forth from the dying monster awoke both the Titan and the final Cyclops. Knowing my bardic magic would not hold a third time on the Titan, I sent a melody towards the Cyclops, and faced the magic wielding giant. The Titan lead with some curses which I countered with a few magic potions of my own, and activated my magic reflect totem I carried when I heard it conjuring up something evil. Flame erupted at the foot of the Titan covering its body momentarily, giving me all the time I needed to move in close. Working my sword in a crossing motion I landed two solid blows to the legs of the giant and sent it staggering back. It quickly regained its footing and swung its massive arm, thinking to squash me like a fly. Diving forward in a roll I came up beside the beast and took a stab at its leg before I had to retreat a step from its backhand. Circling the Titan, not giving it a chance to cast anything destructive my way, I looked for an opening. The giant reached forward with both arms trying to catch me, side stepping the grab and with a quick dash I came up behind the beast with my sword hamstringing it. Falling forward with a great yell, I ran up the back of the monster and drove my sword into the back of its neck, ending the death howl mid scream.

Pulling my sword free I never saw the last Cyclops approach until it was too late. I only had a second to react, and it was not enough. The giant hammer was coming in horizontal to my chest, I managed to avoid the brunt of the swing but it clipped my side and sent me sprawling across the cavern floor. Staggering to my feet I knew I was in trouble, reaching for my last healing potion I chugged it and tossed the empty bottle to the floor. With a great leap the Cyclops was on me again and with the upper hand. I dodged the next blow trying to give the potion enough time to work but the beast was not relenting. I dove to the side and rolled to my feet out of reach of the giant hammer the Cyclops used. Not knowing what to do I drew back my sword and hurled it with all my might at the creature as it charged. End over end, and by the blessing of the Avatar himself it struck, blade first, and drove itself deep into the eye of the Cyclops. With a giant thud the Cyclops fell and skidded to a stop at my feet. I pulled my blade out and looked to the heavens as I mouthed the words “thank you”. Looking around at the four corpses that lay within the cavern I fell to my knees. Pulling my pack in front of me I gathered up a few of the magic reagents I had and used them with a rune crafted to my keep. Exhausted I fell to the floor inside and did not awake till the next morning.

finalbattle.jpg

**Sitting in his study the next day, Cero rubbed his side, going over what he had found deep within the Dungeon Despise**

Two shrines that brought peace upon oneself as they approached, another golden shrine with no such feelings. Two shrines that looked as if they had a keeper, a golden shrine lay covered in dust and unattended too. What did this all mean I wondered, and then there were the crystal balls in the lair of the Titans. Where they linked in some way? I had no answers, except that if I would return I would not do it alone.

** ”I need a drink” thought Cero as he headed out the door and made his way to the closest ale house he could find**
    Azoth, El Horno and Antos like this.