Late 2017 wishes for UOR

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Random, Jun 6, 2017.

1. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  2. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Shard wipes don't work in the long run. They might be good for a short term boost of population because everyone gets in to scramble for the good stuff, but then once that wears off, so does the population.
    Shosara and One like this.
  3. One

One Well-Known Member

4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Don't even care. If mechanics were dialed to what they were stated to become in the beginning, it could be a great place to start again.

"UO:Renaissance is an Ultima Online free-shard, based on Renaissance era mechanics, without the influences of Trammel.

Designed and operated by passionate PvM and PvP experienced staff, that do not play here, this recreation aims to perfect what we all loved about Ultima Online before its decline. A highly immersive game with seemingly limitless possibilities coupled with risk vs reward, this world is what the players make of it. Offering an extensive crafting system with the best free shard economy, PvP mechanics with more templates than you'll have the time for and PvM with more challenge and data than ever before.

This is the shard to play on if you want to truly enjoy Ultima Online."

I wrote this for the shard nearly five years ago. We have continually added, specifically, influences of Trammel. Or as I have coined the term over the past few years, "Targeted Trammel".
    We have not even gotten fully automated events here, despite it being in the tagline on the banner on UOGateway.com (I wrote that also).

Grandmaster Meh
    It'sallALark likes this.
  5. It'sallALark

It'sallALark Well-Known Member

I think it'd get people out of their houses and trying to earn again. If you've been here since beta you'd know that first year was fantastic.

Then housing and account limits can be put in, etc...

And Blaise is right, this is a fully custom server that no longer resembles the Ren era.
  6. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Angel Island had a few shard wipes to fix falling populations. It gave a short term boost, then fell flat as the hype wore off and people got tired of working towards something only to lose it again. Angel Island finally shut down a month or so ago.
    One likes this.
  7. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member

I don't understand what a shard wipe would accomplish other than bitterness from people who have invested their time here. When I used to play other free shards years ago, wipes promoted instability and I'm not sure what else. There is so much room for everyone here and I think the level playing field idea is nonsense.
    Shosara, One and PaddyOBrien like this.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

It would really only be appropriate if a shard had it scheduled, for specific intervals. Something like the five year mark. Have some sort of achievement system that could allow those who played the first round to have some tangible bonus/bragging rights on the restart. Otherwise, give the shard a finite life cycle. Still meh.
    One and Vandalin like this.
  9. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

I wish people would stop trying to change everything.
  10. It'sallALark

Player feedback about improvements and suggestion is always good to have, if not always good to use. The community as a whole will usually disagree with terrible ideas.
    One likes this.
  11. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member

You will need to make a poll for this, I'm afraid.
    One likes this.
  12. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Shosara, Zyler, Vandalin and 2 others like this.
  13. Shosara

Shosara Active Member

I am VERY happy to see a post like this between all the Doomsayers, especially by someone who's been here a long time! While some of the assessments are true (for instance that UO:R is not really a true renaissance server anymore) i think most are just highly subjective opinions and not much more.

I appreciate that there is a Group of People who hate anything trammel and want to get rid of it, but honestly, having come from a couple other server experiences and having tried live as well: This server has the best Fel experience you are gonna get out there. I find it perfectly fine that there is a small amount of activities like the Bonding Quest that are "instanced", there are still more than enough high value activities that can be spoiled/exploited by a crafty thief or pk (champs, idoc and so on).

Personally i find it great that the staff took uo in 2000, kept the ruleset but then ran with it, adding a whole bunch of more activities and content. if the server was nothing but what is written in the tagline "a renaissance experience" like @Blaise wrote, the server would have died 4 years ago because that is what happend to the the second age freeshart as well as a whole bunch of other era servers that stuck with the same formula.

at the end of the day we love the rule-set, and the uo:r rule-set is what this server still has at its core. the bells and whistles are necessary to have player retention and i personally like most of them. Of course new content is always going to have people liking it and people disliking it, but still: To everyone who is asking for a server wipe or a reverse on all the big content patches, try and look out for other servers and see how much of a shit show all of them are. the only one who can rival uor in player numbers is uo forever and anyone who hates pay to win is gonna say "hell no" right away.

So really, the staff must have done something right to still be here 5 years in as the biggest freeshard around.
    Pekka and Zyler like this.
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The shard numbers have stayed up since welfare platinum was introduced. Right around the same time the frequency of the "where is everyone" inquiries in IRC/Forums, unsurprisingly, increased significantly. The server grew significantly because of the original design and intention and subsequently has lost many, many players due to neglect of the original tenets and lack of commitment to the original goals and intentions.

Content could easily be added to keep the shard fresh, without putting it in perfectly safe little boxes devoid of risk. The game could still be a great deal of fun without pandering to greedy top tier pvm players who don't like to lose their dragons (ie: do not actually want risk), by adding infinite bonding slots.

The staff has done a lot correctly, although ideas for player retention and attraction are subjective at best. It just seems to me in hindsight that administration here never really wanted a proper Felucca shard. They wanted a great PvM playground and that's just fine. They've built a great success to that end.I just wish I had seen the forest for the trees a lot sooner.
    SteelyDan likes this.
  15. It'sallALark

give me your lewtz
  16. Crunk Juice

Crunk Juice Well-Known Member

Think there should be some sort of special title or clothing hue that you can achieve by donating houses and materials (regs, cloth, leather ingots etc) to a new player only vendor like a goodwill in RL. For those who enjoy donating to new players to break that "I don't want to start all over when I go to a new shard" mentality. There are many people that have donated millions to new players and receive no recognition.
    Pekka likes this.
  17. One

One Well-Known Member