Leveling, Experience and Perks

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Guerry, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

That doesn't really address his point though. Tamers are super duper OP currently with a tamer being able to have an unlimited number of bonded pets that are currently taking no statloss. Tamers and the direction the server is taking them is the joke... This thread certainly isn't.
    BlackEye, Nymeros and One like this.
  2. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

Please share. I had 2 friends, who I brought to this server, leave as soon as they started thinking like pretty much everyone on this thread.

I could not persuade them because I do not know those "other stuff non tamers excel at or tamers can't even do" in terms of content. I'm sure it will be a copy paste exercise for you which won't take 5 minutes of your life.
  3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I dont understand the point of this thread anymore. Everyones bitching, yet tomorrow, everyone is going to log back on and go back to doing what they enjoy doing, playing UO. If you dont like what Chris has set up, leave and find a new shard, theres plrenty out there. The OP intended to start a conversation and it just ended up with eveyone taking pot shots at each other.
  4. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I love this shard and the community, therefore I don't want to leave and nobody else shall leave (which sadly happens). The OP had ideas concerning a perceived problem, his ideas have been discussed shortly, but there wasn't even common agreement about the problematic situation for dexxers, the overpoweredness of tamers, or that there is a problem at all.

Thus the original topic drifted to a more general talk about what is unbalanced and why. The only thing you might be right in, Soulman, is that we could have made another thread, but however, the momentum is right here now.

Please, don't tell people to leave, when you are annoyed. You don't have to read this stuff either.
    Geo likes this.
  5. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

Two things I've noticed from this thread:

1) Besides everything else, just the fact that you can "triple-box" tamers to any content ingame and you can't take advantage of the same feature (3 accounts) with a pure dexxer - actually playing 1 is already pretty hard - shows me a pretty obvious unbalanced situation from the very beginning. Not to mention the other perks from bonding pets to everything else.

2) The vast majority of the thread is aware and concerned of this problem addressing pretty valid arguments, facts and suggestions, while the other side seems to fail at providing convincing material to support.

So, based on these 2 topics, it's conclusive there is a real problem regarding this matter.
    Not anymore a subjective question based on opinion, pretty objective facts with arguments and data.

My question is already if it's being taken into consideration by administration and if there are any perspectives to address this situtation. At least a notice of acknowledgement would be satisfactory.
    Geo likes this.
  6. BlackEye

First distracting answer you might get is that re-introduction of skill loss for pets is planned. Although, that's not really answering any of the problems mentioned, it's just getting some kind of minimal risk back to the tamers (not really).

Second distracting answer might be that new content for dexxers is planned (kinda "why are you complaining?"). And I have no hard facts about lvl7 maps, but I heard they are manageable by dexxers or that's the benchmark at least. I don't know, if they are designed in such a way, that tamers are able to attend them easily or at all (like monsters immune to tames). Still, this is also no answer to the mentioned problems, just the remark that you will be able to play some more instances with your dexxer (which might be cool, although it's more trammel for all).

I don't think there are any measures against triple-boxing or any balances to tamers and bonding slots etc planned. It's even hard to get skill loss back...
    Blaise likes this.
  7. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Dalavar likes this.
  8. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

I triple box dexxers all the time. You could set 3 dexxers to absolutely destroy spawns without even needing slayers. 3 vanq axes omg wtf. I personally like to keep loadout to an absolute minimum, especially if I was going to farm a hotspot like lich lords. I would keep my alt-dexxers naked with a weapon and some bandages, and my main dexxer would have a full loadout. Anyway. Set up your 2 alt- dexxers with the macro below, making the target of the bandadge your main dexxer. Sit in lich lords deciet and aggro lich lords and pull them to your death machine. You got bandages popping through every 3 seconds, your dmg output is going to be ridiculous, and you really don't need to be messing around with your other clients other then pressing play.

I have spent way more time triple boxing dexxers then tamers. Why would I do this? Because triple boxing dexxers is where the GOLD IS AT SON. 120k an hour on dexxers and your telling me tamers are OP?

Code:
    !Loop
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|3617|True
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|5
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|2|621845|1739|1018|0|400
    Assistant.Macros.ForAction|13
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1195|
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1060|
    Assistant.Macros.AbsoluteTargetAction|0|0|1074371563|98|83|0|5451
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1511|
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1395|
    Assistant.Macros.EndForAction

Lastly, Gideon mentioned that you likely will only see this triple tamer stuff at Champ spawns. This I disagree with. I have no problem farming bloods or ancient wyrms triple box. I honestly never used to do it before because the risk in my mind was too much with pet skill loss and all. Now that pet skill loss has been disabled I just keep my 2 alt-tamers naked with no regs, not even bandages. I can then just use a minimal loadout on my main tamer with like 100 per reg, 1 barbed suit, and 250 bandages. With this setup, and knowing that my pets will not take any loss from a full wipe, I have no problem rolling out my 3 tamers are hotspots. This is to say, without pet skill loss I am able to reduce my risk to a level in which I feel comfortable bringing out 3 tamers to a hotspot, bring back pet skill loss.

tldr:
    • Dexxers are awesome. Here is the code to make you awesome too.
    • 3 accounts makes anything you do next level, whether that is dexxing or taming, its 2015 we know this game well.
    • Bring back pet skill loss.
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Hence the point of contention.
    Exactly the point of my intention.

Yeah, go triple box dexxers with slayers and come tell me how nice TT is to you illliiilililililillil

Get fucking real.
  10. BlackEye

I haven't seen any 3-box dexxer ever out on the field. ANY. EVER.

I don't mean that the method sounds not feasible, at least if you are into complete bullshit with two ghost-like healer toons in your background. I might even try it for fun, yeah, I will.

But don't tell me people or you are actually using that setup since the last 10 months (roughly my gametime). I have seen any relevant spot, besieged any champ and stalkedf any boss since the last 10 month. Nobody ever played a 3-box dexxer. And nobody would stand a chance against PKs.
  11. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  12. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

All the time dude, all the time, never been killed. Of all the mountain ranges in the world or single tile ore chunks in the middle of the forest, good luck find me TT.

Blaise you are sounding more like red rover every day.
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  13. Geo

Geo Active Member

Seriously the blessed idea is horrible THIS ISNT TRAMMEL Thats why people go to pre EA shards. Taming takes work and it should be rewarded fine. But my problem is that a dexxer with a slayer faces profound risk. This is a good thing. A tamer faces 0 risk. Thats the problem. Even if they get goonsquaded taming has been trammelfied to a hideous extent. You shouldn't be able to reap maximum rewards outside of town without risk.
  14. BlackEye

Mining! I knew it! I excluded mining and fishing either here or in the others threads a long while ago. This can be hardly considered dexxing (yes, you use a weapon and fighting skills...)

I am only talking about the claims that champs and high-end spawns like ancients wyrms are farmed that way. And all I am saying is, I never saw any 3-box dexxer out there.

But if you say, it's possible, it's definitely worth trying. I will do that. I am curious now. But apart from that, it's still bullshitting 3 accounts. Haharrr.

Looking forward to the lvl7 maps. Hopefully no tamers can do them. Or there is a limit for the total amount of tames in there! Awesome.
  15. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I'm leveling three tamers just to spite the silliness of this thread.

We're so gonna own the harpy room.... so own.
    Basoosh likes this.
  16. Velner

Velner New Member

My only issue with Animal Taming on this shard is the number of control slots.

If we are going to have UO:R bonding, we should also have the 5 slot limit.

Or, conversely, do away with bonding, but remove control slots (which seems unlikely given the effort put into the bonding system).

As an Animal Tamer, I am open to both ideas.

An interesting note: On OSI today, in order to be an effective tamer, you have to roll with "A Greater Dragon" which takes up all 5 control slots! You are forced to hoof it while hunting! But don't worry, a trained one can still solo many Champion Monsters.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    Basoosh likes this.
  17. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

Again, from the home page:

"UO:Renaissance is an Ultima Online free-shard, based on Renaissance era mechanics, without the influences of Trammel."

UO is about risks. Back on the production shards, disconnects from anything were common. We're talking the tail end of the 56k modem era! Deaths were common. Players died. Pets died. I think that bonding in any sense is misguided.

In most cases, death should set you back to 0.

Upon death, a mage may lose reagents. Perhaps, they were looted.
    Upon death, a bard may lose his instrument. Perhaps, it was looted.
    Upon death, a warrior may lose his armor and weapons. Perhaps, they were looted.
    Upon death, a tamer will not lose his/her pets. No, they won't be looted.

Unlike the mage, bard, or warrior, the tamer is clearly getting special consideration. Why is there a need to coddle one of most powerful templates in the game?

So you like taming? Ain't nothing going to get you out back to actual taming than replacing your dead pets.
    Geo and BlackEye like this.
  18. Velner

Velner New Member

Although true, Animal Tamers under the current system have a distinct disadvantage: Re-training a dragon will take HOURS. Getting more,reagents, a new weapon, a new instrument, etc. takes a moment (not to mention removing those items from danger via Recall is a lot easier than removing a dragon via Gate Travel). It's not as simple as just going to the Fire Temple, taming a new dragon, and being ready to go.

And there is a world of difference between a fresh dragon and a trained one.

Stat loss for pets, to me, adequately covers this issue. And that is coming back.
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
    wylwrk likes this.
  19. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

Yea, there will be a world of difference between that slayer and your replacement GM crafted weapon as well!

If you cannot figure out how to use a fresh dragon or two, I just don't know to how to help you...
    BlackEye likes this.
  20. Nymeros

Nymeros Well-Known Member

News flash, if you lose a slayer (which costs around 100k) farming for a new one will take HOURS too. Getting another weapon that is ready is just like having another dragon freshly trained to do the job.

Farming to make enough for a slayer takes potentially a day depending on how good you are, same as dragons i believe. So it's the same.

There is also a world of difference between a normal weapon and a slayer one. It's called double damage.

But at the moment, one of them can be gone and lost, and the other one can't. This is what this topic is currently about.
    Alice Asteroid, Geo and BlackEye like this.