Leveling, Experience and Perks

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Guerry, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I felt like the dexers were still there throughout, but I think we may have had differing hours we played, so it's certainly possible both of us are accurate.

Actually, I think bards probably have a bit more available to them. But it's close. Bards are better at L6 tmaps, can do the Night of Horrors, etc.

I remember those fencer dark elves! I'm the #2 all time killer of them... with my pure bard. For those keeping score at home, #1 is a pure bard too.

And speaking of repeating one's self, I also killed the Commander, in a timed instance, with a dexer.

I think people just need to recognize what certain templates are good at, or can have fun doing, and enjoy those things and push their limits, rather than complaining on the forums about how they can't do every single thing equally well as other templates with a particular character type. I don't think dexers should be trading hits with an Elder Wyrm any more than I think tamers should be able to amass an army of plague zombies in the Night of Horrors. I don't think dexers have some god-given right to earn the same gp per hour as a tamer or a bard or a blacksmith or a thief. I don't think the fact that some templates are better than others for some things is a reason that changes need to be made so that everything is equally good at everything.

If that's the gist of the argument, it seems pretty weak. Compared to a tamer, there are many ways to make more gold with less risk. BODs. Scroll-selling. Battle Mining. etc.
    Andersonius likes this.
  2. Geo

Geo Active Member
    UO:R Donor

those are crafting professions bruhh. Its quite obvious that we are talking about P V M. I guess if you are intentionally avoiding the point there is not much else to be said.

No one is making an argument for Zues sending a lightning bolt into your house when you're smelting ore. Crafting has always been relatively safe. Pvm has always been relatively dangerous. It is for one class and not for the other.
  3. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

I agree with that, as long as it's not utterly imbalanced. The risk for tamers is that imbalanced, which was one of the main points of the topic.

And if you managed to kill a dark elven commander, you either earn the title 'God of Dexx' or 'Master of Abuse' (because you must have found some cheesy tactic).
    Tbh, I never tried it, because the homepage says they are immune to barding (that might be wrong?). And even if possibly barded, nothing would withstand their might for long, or? Or you somehow used the sleeper hold which is not dexxing at all... or 3-boxing? And I have no clue, how you would kill bad santa, the dark elf spirit, the knight, battle mage etc, because that too belongs to dexxing through the christmas instances... I am confused... but this is a different topic.
  4. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/pvm/621845

I didn't get 1st on the leaderboard for skeletal blood knights, skeletal blood mages and 3rd on headless horselessmen and vampires by leaving after the first days. Oh, and on a dexxer.
  5. El Horno

Another note: All Slayers do not cost 100k +

This entire thread people refer to slayers as being ridiculously expensive. I would agree top end slayers are expensive, but there are tons of low end slayers in the 5-15k range. Those are pretty much the only slayers I buy. Ultimately double dmg is huge, I don't really need a few extra dmg from a weapon mod.

http://uorforum.com/threads/slayer-sale-part-2.10343/

Glance at the prices... So a dexxer can farm tons of different mobs for a <5k loadout.

It is a strawman argument to suggest it requires tons of gold to run a dexxer with slayers.
  6. BlackEye

We must have had different gametimes then like Dalavar said... I haven't seen any slayer after the first half or so. But you guys know, that this is a different topic. Even if you guys prove me wrong and show me, how I might do more content with more skill or 3-box abuse, or better mixing bard skills with dexxing skills, that's not the main point.

Bring back appropriate risk to tamers and some loot/risk balance. (I know you haven't been campaigning against it.)
  7. El Horno

Holiday events on UOR are far from "sporadic". There are many times, for the sake of sleep, I wish they WERE sporadic, but instead they are close to being constant on this shard.
  8. Geo

Geo Active Member

POST self-removed
  9. El Horno

I'm glad you said that because I was about to go make some stupid videos of me 3-boxing dexxers in dungeons, caves, and tmaps, you name it, but if that is going to get me nowhere I can leave it be.

I obviously agree with Basoosh, stiff enough skill loss on pet death would adequately solve the no risk of tamers.
    BlackEye and Dalavar like this.
  10. El Horno

I am absolutely making the case that you have no idea what sporadic means.
    Dalavar likes this.
  11. BlackEye

I will figure it out myself, you chees0rs. And then hopefully stop it in disgust, as it's probably nothing what dexxing is supposed to be in this era.
  12. Dalavar

I prefer the former! But it was merely some planning ahead, some intentional choices in weaponry, standard isolation tactics, and above all else a willingness to try something that at first glance seems hard (and was hard! I definitely failed the Grinch at least once). There were no exploits, no multi-boxing (hence the ironman award), etc.

I don't think a single person in this thread is arguing that pet skill loss shouldn't come back, and Chris stopped by to declare unequivocally that it will. So if that's the purpose of the thread continuing, we're all just wasting our breath.

No matter what pet loss or skill loss is applied to tamers, you could then next just apply the "no risk" label to bards. And dungeon lockpickers. And whatever else. This game is too diverse to ever be able to serve the hundreds of different character variant possibilities equally, and I think pursuing that via shard mechanics is an exercise in futility (IMO). So to be preachy, I suggest people learn to embrace the existing strengths and weaknesses of different characters and get joy (and gp) from them as you're able. You may be surprised at how much of each you can get through methods you don't expect...
    Andersonius likes this.
  13. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
    Andersonius likes this.
  14. Geo

Geo Active Member

Nice post mate. It has nothing to do with Tamers getting risk free farm in a supposedly pre-trammel shard but you seem to be really proud of yourself so I wont say that changes to the era are one thing, and changes against the spirit of the era (trammelification) are another. I wont question why, if you got so rich without trammel-mode you are being so toxic in defending it? I wont say that ;)
  15. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  16. Geo

Geo Active Member

I can see that. Anyways, this stopped being fun so I'm off this thread. Cheeeeeeeeas
  17. Dalavar

This is why I brought up BODs and other stuff a few posts up though. It doesn't seem to be the case that people are opposed to the lack of risk in tamer-farming, because no one is calling for poisoned/cursed BODs or something like that (even though that would be awesome). Everyone seems to accept that there's inherently more and less risk in various activities.

So it seems like it's related to the money-making capabilities of taming. Which again, are less than other avenues.

And even if you want to cross those things, and say the risk-vs-reward for taming is what's out of line, I'd still object to even that, because BODs and scroll selling and mining and various other pursuits like real estate can have more reward with less risk.

So what I'm left with personally is this:
    - some content is well-suited for tamers, and other content is not at all suited for tamers
    - some content has more reward and less risk than taming, and some content has more risk and less reward than taming

I guess the argument then is that taming is the "renaissance man" (pun INTENDED!!!) of the shard, able to do most things at some baseline level of competence. And there's something to be said for that, and it will make you see the same character names doing a lot of things at a lot of events. But a generalist is not the best way to maximize gp per hour, nor to maximize excitement or interest or whatever else.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

19. Eladrin

Eladrin Member

Hi there,

I am a new player here but I've been playing UO on and off for over 10 years and wanted to point out to a new pve player's perspective..
    When I started the server, a lot of people in Occlo told me this server's "end game" requires taming for PvE. I took this with a grain of salt, and knew I was not going to create a tamer character; instead I was going to make a pure mage as usual.. and was going to be successful with my own play style.

It's been almost two weeks I have been mostly working on increasing my skills and stats, yet on the other hand with different characters I wandered around the map to see how PKs are, where players usually go, or what they do to make money etc. More I did this, more I realized there are soooo many tamers with dragons all over the place. When asked, players simply say it is the best for:

+ making money
    + pve (in so many ways including opening chests) which are honestly 2 of the 3 things I really love in this game. Yet here.. system kind of pushes me towards making an obvious choice: a Tamer character.

What do I mean by that? Well, let's look at other games, especially the ones with currently faulty class designs, in those games (wow- hunter for pvp, arcane mage for pve with 6.2) certain classes smash the other classes in pvp or raids, no matter how much you try in general. When there's such "condition", players tend to choose that successful path/template. In the long run, it affects the players' choices, things become too obvious, (hopefully) even to those who have been rich through such imbalance.

I am not saying a person with two dragons, or four nightmares should have equivalent power to a single player with a sword and armor, but I am saying there should be multiple choices in a such setting, because this is a MMO, known to offer the most amount of options. Imbalances should be addressed, not matter what, otherwise it makes the other sensible choices very bleak when compared to a tamer in terms of pve.
    Maltman and Heretic like this.