Limits on Teleporting, BS's, & EV's inside Housing

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by SirLanceAlittle, May 9, 2013.

1. SirLanceAlittle

SirLanceAlittle Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I seem to recall that sometime last year, it became impossible for one to Teleport anywhere within the boundaries of houses, whether one owned the house or not.

Also, the same patch also removed the ability for one to cast a Blade Spirit (BS) or an Energy Vortex (EV) anywhere within the boundaries of houses.

What patch did these limitations begin with? I cannot seem to find it.

Now, for the purpose of this discussion:

Is it possible that these restrictions/limitations might someday be lifted?

I know that these restrictions/limitations make for much safer houses and/or vendor shops, but there are steps people can take to protect themselves from these attacks.

Now, I am no pk'er, nor do I enjoy being pk'd, however, I do respect the pk'er occupation itself. It is the combination of good and evil that makes the world of Ultima Online so much fun.

I am not saying that one should be able to Teleport into/onto someone else's patio or rooftop. A properly "Locked" house automatically prevents the incursion/infiltration by Teleportation of anyone from outside it's physical boundaries.

I would like to see the removal of the limits on Teleporting, BS's, and EV's and how they pertain to Housing. This would require players to take the steps necessary to secure their property. I am speaking of barracades. Barracades are easily constructed by the strategic location of locked-down tables, chests, etc.

For a house made "public" for the use of vendors, a proper barracade, just inside the door and extending from wall-to-wall, prevents Teleporting across said barracade.
    If I get my wish, and these limits are lifted, then BS's and EV's could in-fact be tossed over the above mentioned barracade. But as long as all items, specifically containers, are properly locked-down, the BS and EV will do no damage, except to any Players that happen to get caught with their proverbial, pants down. One simply has to be quick with the "I Ban Thee" or "Remove Thyself" commands.

Finally, homes that are "private" and properly locked, are, for the most part, safe. There have been some occasions where a small elevation in the ground outside a large Tower was vulnerable to the tossing of a BS or an EV up onto the top "wing" (jutting roof) of said Tower. But this too can also be protected against by the use of barracades.

Okay, I am sure many of you have your own ideas on this. I hope you will share your thoughts here.

Please, limit your comments to the topic at hand: "Teleporting, BS's, and EV's and how they are related to Housing".

Thank you.
  2. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Teleporting was disabled in a recent patch anywhere inside a house region. This was to address a small bug with line of site that could lead players to have their courtyards compromised.

This will eventually be reverted once we have some time to work on the Line of Sight issue, but it will probably be a while.

As for Blade Spirits and Energy Vortex casting inside a house, at some point deep into UOR I think this was disabled, but as we follow the housing rules at the start of the UOR era it is still allowed.

You are right about protecting a tower, however for other houses it is smart to make sure you protect your house against these spells being cast in your house. With a little preparation this is easily managed, and is a good reason to select a private house, or lock down any lead on the east/west side of your house.