Logged into this what to do now???

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Por Corp Wis, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You have a choice. I can only imagine you got trapped while you were AFK or left your boat out at sea unmanned. You have the option of waiting for your attackers to show themselves or asking around for their whereabouts. I would stay on the boat and try to barter for my ship, with whomever it was trapped it.

While the ultimate end result of no change would be the boat decaying, its life is effectively on the table, for you to try and save it.

If, for example, it were me. I would gladly release your ship for a sum no less than 1/5th of its value, just to put a number out there. Or if I were feeling RPish, your catch for the day. Pay up, and you sail free. Don't and your boat decays.
  2. Por Corp Wis

Por Corp Wis Well-Known Member

Or...I could just call for a GM like I did and have them move the boat for me :p

I hear what you are saying Blaise and I dont personally disagree. Im not here long enough to know the culture of this server to judge 1 way or another.

But as I said previously the ONLY outcome of this (in the negative) would be forcing the boat to decay. The trappers get zero out of this other than maybe a quick giggle from forcing someones boat to decay. Stuff in the hold is safe. I could "stuck" out and recall back from the key to empty hold if there were anything in there and recall back to land.

The griefers arnt even there to see the outcome and enjoy their grief as some ppl do....So...There is legit 100% no benefit to any of the parties involved here.

I dont understand this behavior.....
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Then you're lying to yourself. I already explained the other outcome that COULD come of it, if you were willing to actually work for it. You're not though, because Telahandholdermon already bailed you out, literally.

They could have extorted you for profit, had you played the game to get your ship back though.

This is called Ultima and they had you in a pinch that in the old days, would have resulted in profit for them, or just pure loss for you out of sheer stubbornness.
    BlackEye, Mindless and Ragar like this.
  4. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

Wait for their boats to decay?
  5. Por Corp Wis

So explain to me how they could have randomed....ANYTHING?

Im trapped. I 'stuck" and get to a bank....recall from key (which is in bank) back to boat...empty boat...recall to bank....repeat until boat empty.

How can they do anything other than force the decay of the boat?
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yup, I bet you could have asked for a few players to set up murder bots on your boat, to autotarget and kill anyone who hits the other boats to refresh.

Boom, turn the tides.
    Mindless likes this.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

It's called RANSOM.

They trapped your boat and no one thinks they trapped YOU. They could demand payment for release OF YOUR BOAT (that's called a ransom). What part of paying a ransom to save your boat are you not understanding?
  8. Por Corp Wis

Why would anyone pay a ransom for a 5k boat? Thats like saying I have your bag of 20 of each reg and Im going to hold it for ransom.

In the time it takes to negotiate the ransom and compete any ransom monies I could have farmed more than the initial 5k for the boat itself.

No leverage there so no downside....
  9. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

The fact you actually paged staff about this is pretty ridiculous to me. The fact that it actually worked and a staff member moved your whole boat is just disgusting.
    BlackEye, mafghine, garvey and 3 others like this.
  10. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

You could have done the following:

1) Let your boat decay (dumb idea)
    2) Buy a second boat, sail to your boat, dock your boat (good idea)
    3) Ask someone in the community to sail with you to your boat, and dock your boat (great idea)
    4) Ask a GM to handle a player-to-player situation for you (meh idea)

Next time, try idea #2 or #3 first. Considering the pirate who boated you in didn't add layers means you were not truly stuck. You could have easily fetched this boat from your captors.

I realize you're new here and some of the anger expressed in this thread is not directed at you specifically.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Because a boat costs over 10k gold (not like 20 of each reagent) and piracy is a FUN part of the game, like murdering. Taking things from players and holding them RANSOM (for fuck's sake, please look up this word), is a time-honored tradition in a game of free will.

The AMOUNT they demand for ransom has little to do with how much COULD be made elsewhere and everything to do with making you pay.
    Not because you're you, but because you're in this world and freedom SHOULD allow such a scenario.

Praised be Trammelmon for He is divine in his wisdom, having saved this new player in hopes that he too someday could become a follower of the glorious path to crystaline pastures.

Amen
  12. Por Corp Wis

I completely understand what RANSOM means Blaise.

I disagree with you that there is any leverage at all in this situation to make it possible.
  13. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

The fact that this thread even exists proves otherwise.
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

So if you didn't get bailed out by staff. What then?
  15. Samorite

Samorite Renaissance Game Master
    Renaissance Staff

Just for the record Telamon had nothing to do with the decision, rightly or wrongly I moved the boat. If the other party was present It would of been a different story and I would of let it play out

I know I am damned if a I did and damned if I don't but let's please get all the facts correct before slinging trammel this and trammel that about
    MikeK, One, Sir Billy and 3 others like this.
  16. Por Corp Wis

I would have "stuck" command to land and abandoned the boat or maybe checked back later tonight to see if its free or not.

Would have farmed more gold and asked to buy another boat from a player and just continued on my taming on foot until I got one.

Only reason I paged a GM was the overwhelming response that this was so inappropriate from the intial responders to this thread.
    boothby likes this.
  17. boothby

boothby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

TBH I'm glad to see staff helped, as I think blocking any part of the map for personal gain is bad. Wasn't that why tents were originally removed from UO in the first place, they were being abused to block people from certain areas? Something tells me if we had tents around here and people were using them to barricade houses/other spots there would be few complaints if staff intervened.
    Sir Billy likes this.
  18. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

The fact there were multiple ways to get that boat out of there without any staff intervention is what makes this bullshit. OP was simply too lazy to attempt any of them.
    BlackEye, mafghine, One and 2 others like this.
  19. Maltman

Maltman Active Member

Lol I've never seen this before nor has it ever happened to me on the open seas, maybe the boat I gave you is cursed with bad fortune, after all I stole it from the last guy who owned it.

if you ever need another boat I have extras, we can go dungeon crawling together and farm up the 5k to pay if you need.

in the future, on the seas, only afk on your boat close to land so that if someone tries to block it you can dock it.

People in this thread should stop flaming the new player. Maybe he didn't know this was a valid pirating technique? I could envision myself making the same mistake. I also did not know it was possible to dock a boat out of that situation when I first saw his picture. Just give him the benefit of the doubt.

He paged a GM because the first 6 replies to his thread, especially well-known users El Horno, Gideon, told him to.

It's OK just RP a sailor held captive by pirates next time and everyone will be happy rofl
  20. Por Corp Wis

Well thats where you are wrong. I came to forums and asked what to do.

The first 4 or 5 people were in a near uproar regarding the inpropriety of this action and there were suggestions made to page a GM.

Laziness had nothing to do with it. Perhaps you should read the entire thread before making wildly blind statements?
    Heretic, Maltman and boothby like this.