Logged into this what to do now???

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Por Corp Wis, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

I did read the whole thread. Out of the first 8 posts only one told you to page a gm. One of them told you one way to get your boat out. One other told you at least a temporary solution to at least get off the boat.

You were too lazy/impatient to actually do what needed to be done so you paged the hand holding service and they came in knocked mother felucca's two front teeth out and then drowned her in the vacant spot made by moving your boat.
    BlackEye and One like this.
  2. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The rules seem to be very clear. If people want to make an argument that the rules need to be changed then so be it, but this case is cut and dry. Refer to the rules.

"Examples of discouraging game play:
    • Trapping players in locations that force them to use the help stuck system to escape"
  3. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

Welcome to the shard, Por Corp Wis. That was a sucky situation you had there, but luckily stuff like that doesn't happen too often. We actually have a genuinely nice, helpful, generous population here and I hope that you'll have better experiences in the future. That being said, I'm glad the boat thing is all sorted out. You don't need to defend your decision to call a GM for assistance. That's part of their job, to help. Unfortunately, we have a large number of trolls on this forum who like nothing more than to cause and perpetuate arguments and I see that your thread has attracted a few of them. If I were you, I would just ignore them.
    and_now_for_something_completely_different.jpg
    Delitem, Ragar, Zyler and 1 other person like this.
  4. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

So if I pk someone on an island and dry loot them, is that discouraging gameplay?

Also, he wasn't forced to use help stuck. He 100% could have gotten that boat out of there without using the help stuck feature.
    BlackEye, mafghine, Mindless and 2 others like this.
  5. Maltman

Maltman Active Member

True, looking back I see that now. (selective vision is real especially in forums.) He could have used help stuck, farm 10k for another boat, recover boat or just leave it there to decay. That would have been best.

I still don't blame him for paging. It was a confusing situation for a new player, and getting mad at players for paging GMs is like a sailor getting mad at the sea. If you want to blame someone blame the GM who moved his boat or better yet blame the too vague rules the GMs abide by which allow for such decisions.
    One and Plankton like this.
  6. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

I'd say give the OP the benefit of the doubt. Leave it in the hands of the GMs. For a new player, I'd argue the best path to self-rescue on this one is not readily apparent. I do suppose that the GMs could have simply told the player how to conduct a self-rescue. I think that would have been more appropriate.
    BlackEye, Heretic, boothby and 2 others like this.
  7. Por Corp Wis

Por Corp Wis Well-Known Member

TY for the welcoming :)

Im used to trolls. They dont bother me. If i werent new and looking to be friendly and nice I would tear them new assholes and make them look foolish.....quite easily TBH.

But Im here to be nice so I will play nice....for now :)
    boothby and Maltman like this.
  8. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

I do put most of the blame on the gm that moved his boat. The gm could have given him the several options available to him on how to get out of his predicament.
    BlackEye and Maltman like this.
  9. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    garvey, wylwrk, Basoosh and 1 other person like this.
  10. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

If I were new to a server, spent a consider amount of my small fortune to buy a boat, then get blocked in I would be disappointed. All I want to do is fish and some asshat blocked me in. If there was a note left or a player there asking for ransom it would be a different situation. I would wonder what I should do and if people said PM a GM for help I would. I agree that flaming a new player for asking for GM assistance is wrong. Being new, how would one know that it is a so called ransom situation? I would think someone is impeding me from playing. Also 5k is a lot to a new player. You guys need to see it from his perspective rather than ride him for asking for GM help - after being told from several other players to do so.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    Delitem, Heretic, Gideon Jura and 2 others like this.
  11. boothby

boothby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I'll never understand the desire of some people here to be dicks to others for no reason, especially to new players who may or may not know any better.
    Avery likes this.
  12. Mimic

Mimic Member

I am very surprised the gm helped you out, but good for you. I doubt that will happen every time a situation like this comes up, especially after this has become such a public matter.

Another though: The guy(s) that did this were probably rolling on the floor laughing at how they got to watch their work get seen by so many people. I bet it took more effort to block you in with four boats than to page a gm to get it out. I would have liked to see you handle it on your own or, better yet, with other players, but what happened happened. I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen more often now... Better carry a back up boat lol.

Also, had you gone the route of recruiting help from other players, it would have been very likely to see those four boats surrounded by twelve boats.... who would be laughing then? Probably everyone because this is a game and getting the best of others is sometimes very rewarding. Its a cutthroat world here in Brittania!
    Blaise, Maltman, Punt and 1 other person like this.
  13. Maltman

Maltman Active Member

I am not heartless. I too deeply sympathize with the poor guy who spent 40k and possibly hours of his time first finding PCW's boat then perfectly positioning his four boats in a box around it, only to be rewarded with nothing.

Such creative gameplay deserves a better reward. At least an opportunity for some sort of ransom. It's not "griefing". It's enjoying the sand box.
    BlackEye, One and Mindless like this.
  14. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

Thanks for putting this so eloquently... Couldn't agree more.

Some of us are very passionate about this game we hold near and dear to our hearts, and thus things can get heated quick. But I'd hardly call it trolling Avery.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    BlackEye, Blaise and Maltman like this.
  15. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

When I see someone being insulted repeatedly for something as silly as paging a gm, I have to assume that people are bored. But maybe that's my fault. I don't think being a rude asshole through a computer is in any way entertaining. It's pretty much bottom-of-the-barrel stuff. All I see in this thread is "I don't agree with what you did so you're dumb", and I see a lot of that around here and it's really pathetic. Let people make their own decisions. Let people make their own mistakes. This is HIS GAME. Let him play it the way he wants to. It's really none of anyone's business but his.
    wylwrk, Godric Greycliff and boothby like this.
  16. Mimic

Mimic Member

You are the most worked up person here... And it was his business only, until he posted it on the FORUM haha! Everyone will have their opinion and I'm sure OP is just glad to be back in action. I think this was a fun, semi-meaningful, discussion on a topic not often touched on, the ability of players to alter the game for other players.

I still would have liked to see those four boats surrounded by other boats. Then we might have rooted out the culprit!
    BlackEye and Mindless like this.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Where has he been insulted? If he is taking insult to being appropriately corrected by those who know more about the game, that is on him. He was sharing a problem. Several players spoke up about how to handle such a problem. No one is "trolling" him and it's ridiculous of staff or anyone to call it trolling when in fact people are just speaking to the mechanics of the server and recommending ways that would not waste staff's time.

I'm sorry I had to all caps a few times for him to start using the right word in the conversation and make a few points clear that he was seemingly ignoring. This is not trolling, this is ensuring that what has been said is not taken out of context due to poor application of language. He is entitled to play the game his way but sharing the problem on the forum made it several people's business. Had he not wanted such, I'm sure he would have stuck with a Help page.

That said, knowing that staff intervention for this is the way to go, it is even more everyone's business because that kind of application of administration directly impacts the shard in larger ways than saving one new player's boat.
    BlackEye, Mindless and Mimic like this.
  18. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

WHO CARES ABOUT SOME NOOB'S BOAT, WE'VE GOT BIGGER CRYSTALS TO FRY HERE
    Maltman, garvey, wylwrk and 4 others like this.
  19. Pax Romain

Pax Romain Well-Known Member

It looks like he had space to still maneuver the boat one tile. If so, he could have recovered it entirely by himself using two characters without needing another boat. Log character B off on one side of the boat, have character A move the boat one tile in the opposite direction, re-log character B. Character B will be logged in on a water tile, and can gate to some location where character A can come through and then dock the boat.
    BlackEye and Mimic like this.
  20. Mimic

Mimic Member

If I could like this post twice, I would.
    Mindless likes this.