Logged into this what to do now???

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Por Corp Wis, Sep 14, 2015.

1. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Let's say GM's didn't help you. The point isn't that GMs helped you specifically, it's that discouraging behaviour like this is good imo.

Multiply the boat blocking by 10 or 20, what does that add to the serverr. Gotta be realistic, theoreticals work and sometimes they don't. UO would be amazing if it could 100% police itself, but the mechanics and design arn't there.
  2. Plankton

Plankton Active Member

How do the tactics of RRG fit in? Am I to believe that the tax collection system they enforce is agreed upon by all players? I may have missed that.
  3. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

4. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

El Horno quoted my statement on that but I will clarify more. While I am not a fan of situations in which players demands ransom for things, players who role play evil are just as important as players who role play good characters in the world. It is what makes the server interesting and creates conflict.

Now if that activity was pushed over the top by using tactics such as:
    • verbal abuse
    • leaving tamed pets with offensive names around player houses
    • using unattended or stacked characters macros to kill players attempting to use their houses
    • etc

We would have a polite conversation about what is expected from our "evil" role players. This is the part that makes Renaissance different from all other free shards. In situations like this we will have a private conversation with our players about what is expected conduct wise. On other servers you will simply receive a "problem communicating with origin" message when logging in.

The bulk of these problems arise because situations like this are so common on other servers that players are trained that this activity is the norm, and on some level if it is being done to me, I should just do it to other people. Throughout the history of Renaissance we have countered this by letting our players know we have a code of conduct here and we expect players to follow it. I'm sure most of you have played elsewhere on felucca servers. Where the N word and F word are as common as "hello". And yet that is not the case here. That is the result of us having a policy and enforcing it. Once players realize they will not have to be presented with verbal abuse, they are less likely to resort to it themselves. The ones who cannot separate hate speech from their gameplay play elsewhere.

That said it does fall to the players to help the staff police negative conduct and report situations like I have illustrated for review. Some of the players in this thread have stated that players should just "get used to it, its felucca". At worst it gives us a chance to better inform players of the Renaissance mechanics while making sure that players are aware of our conduct expectations.