Low-Quality Craftables

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by qbradq, May 14, 2013.

1. qbradq

qbradq Member

In 2000 low-quality craftables were still in the game. When crafting an item, if you had less than a 100% success rate for that particular item then you also had a chance to produce a low-quality item on failure. This is like an exceptional item but in reverse, giving less AR, damage or uses. This was a nice system because instead of just outright failing you got something usable (and recyclable). For tinkering this was especially useful, as a shovel with 15 uses is better than nothing.

This system isn't in RunUO base, but I've added it once before. It's not terribly hard. And all the appropriate client strings are still there.

Anyone have an opinion if this should be added back in? Or have perspective on why it was removed from OSI to begin with?
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

This isn't the case presently?
    I just crafted a low-quality scribe's pen this morning (57 durability or something) and immediately crafted a few 100+ durability ones after that. I didn't check the rest but it seemed to work as you're describing.
  3. qbradq

qbradq Member

It doesn't quite work like it did back in the day, no. I'll have to dig up the Stratics article from the Wayback Machine when I'm not behind a firewall.