Mace Fighting Crushing Blow Sub-Par at best (PVP Tests on TC)

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Loxness, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Loxness

Loxness Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber
    UO:R Donor

**FYI these were all done against players on Test Center. PVM damage and equivalent is unknown at this time**

Without going into deep numbers and boring the common man(and woman) here.... Either crushing blow isn't coded correctly on this server, or is nerfed.

Before the numbers, the definition of a "Crushing Blow" is a 50% damage increase on your attack. Pre-AOS, it was possible for a Valorite war hammer to do upwards of 85+ damage to a 0 armored foe. Keep that in mind.

Now, testing was done on 0 AR, 30 AR, and Invuln Plate (55+). AR..

**All tests were done with 120 STR and 125 tactics bc of the valorite war hammer mods**

With a valorite War Hammer crushing blow... The max damage to an unarmored foe was 58. The max to a 30 armored foe was 57. The max to an invulned for was 55.

To put into perspective, a valorite halberd did a max of 59 to a 0 AR foe. And it's special doesn't even add damage increase.

(( We can discuss all day the useful (useless?) Nature of AR on this server, but that is another discussion. ))

My question is, if crushing blow increases damage by 50%, how is a halberd doing more Damage? Regular hits, a halberd does much more. That is normal and correct. Specials should not be the same case.

The crushing formula (Which remains intact even to this day on OSI) adds a 50% to base damage on the high end and low end of base damage. And it does this AFTER ALL OTHER MODIFIERS (Anat, Tact, Str). I believe this server maybe adds the bonus before modifiers perhaps? Just a best guess.

I understand on this server that tactics doesn't give a flat 25% damage increase at 125 tactics (thus explaining a smaller than max hit like old OSI), but it still doesn't explain how a halberd max hit does more Damage than a crushing blow max hit from a war hammer bc all weapons do less damage than their PREAOS OSI counterparts.

If I am misinformed based off this server's formulas or something is off that I am missing, feel free to tell me! I was just curious why no one used maces, then I made my disco macer and saw why. It does trash damage lol.

@Chris
    @The Cigarette Smoking Man

+ any other gms or mods/coders. Feel free to tag them.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the long read!!
    Iago, One and BlackEye like this.
  2. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

I don't really play anymore, but I can tell you how it was. Considering there was just another combat patch, I don't know if it will still be accurate.

The bonus damage was calculated after str/tactics/anat but before the damage modifier (exceptional, power, etc) which is considered "bonus damage." Also, it isn't really accurate to say that under the old system tactics strength or anatomy gave "bonus" damage as 100% was the maximum modifier for base damage. Not having enough tactics, anatomy and strength gave you less than base damage with a minimum of 40%.

Since patch 58, part of the reason that maces don't often roll big is that they use a lot of dice. A halbred uses 2d23 whereas a war hammer uses 7d5. With so many dice it is much tougher to get top end damage. The war hammer has high potential top end damage, but it is very unlikely to actually roll it.

Edit:

Something else I just noticed: 30 AR absorbs a minimum of 6 damage, so had you been naked for this it would have been 63+. I suppose it is possible that there is a damage cap that I don't know about. It would probably only impact war hammers and I've only used them for pvm where the largest hit I've seen is 105, but I've never actually lored a mob before and after the hit to see if this was the highest possible damage you can do or just the highest number that is displayed.

Edit 2: People have told me that you can hit mobs for a little more than 105 after this latest patch, but can't confirm.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
    Iago, One, BlackEye and 1 other person like this.