Magic armor pricing?

Discussion in 'Trading Post' started by Ningauble, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Ningauble

Ningauble Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I have a fair amount of invun and fort armor that I would like to put on my vendor to raise coin for an impending purchase but have zero idea on what to charge, or if there is even much of a market. I'm more concerned with pricing to move rather than top dollar. Could I get some pointers or some "formula" that I can determine this? Also, is it better to offer individual pieces or sit on them until I build full sets to sell instead? I have a 5 piece (no cap) invun leather set put together now if there's any interest. Any help you guys could give me in this regard would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Redding

Redding Active Member

I'm not a seasoned vet of the game, so I fear I will sound like an idiot, but here goes my 2 cents. I don't have any idea what "standard" magical armor pricing is. If its leather or studded, you can get an idea of what you should charge based on the crafted barbed exceptional leather suit 3k, and studded 9-10k. Therefore, Hardened, Fortification, Invulnerability sets of leather should be priced higher than 3k. How much higher? ??? If you are piecing them out, a lot of vendors sell all the pieces at the same price, but really the chest pieces are worth the most. They add the most AR and will wear out more quickly than the rest of the pieces. I have no experience running a vendor, but plan to soon. My pricing "formula" would be to set prices high and if it doesn't sell, bring it down until it does, if you can afford to let it sit. Alternately, if you have plenty of inventory and know your vendor will get plenty of traffic, set the price low and raise it each time it sells until the items stagnate and back it down a price level or two. That's round-a-bout what people are willing to pay for it, and that's what its worth.
  3. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Yeah, +1 to Redding's advice. With the lowered vendor fees here, there's no such thing as pricing too high. You have more than enough time to lower it down.

Only thing I'd suggest is that leather pieces should be at least 3-4x what the other pieces are priced at, given how ubiquitous it is, and how it's used by leetpvpers. I'd say at the very least 5k per leather invulnerability piece, and maybe more.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I'd think that, in respect to the presently accepted values of 2500-3000k for barbed suits, should put Hardening @ 5k, Fort at 7.5k and Invuln at 10k, for leather, at least. I bet players would be willing to pay more if you were willing to wait it out. As for studded, I'd go 15/20/25k for H/F/I suits, if I sold them.

I just cut out 50 barbed suits and 10 studded barbed suits and got the following results, with recycled non-exeptionals included:

50 tunics: 896 hides
    50 leggings: 590 hides
    50 sleeves: 204 hides
    100 gloves: 300 hides
    50 caps: 100 hides
    50 gorgets: 212 hides

Studded:
    10 tunics: 912 hides
    10 leggings: 425 hides
    10 sleeves: 311 hides
    10 gloves: 140 hides
    10 gorgets: 120 hides
    10 norse helms: 174 ingots

Just figured I'd share.
  5. Ningauble

Ningauble Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Thank you for your help gentlemen. I hadn't considered selling hardening, I've got crates full of that stuff. My shop sees some traffic, a screen above Yew moongate, but I think if I had more to offer I would see more considering it's location. I'll get some sets stocked and see what happens. Your advice is greatly appreciated.
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

You're pricing based on the relative cost of producing a GM set, but leather armor wearers are 10x as common as studded wearers. I would buy out someone's stock of leather invuln suits for 10k in a heartbeat, and I don't even leetpvp here.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Hence the term 'at least'.
  8. Redding

Redding Active Member

I recently put together a vendor in Stormhold with suits of both types with all three colored leathers *fails to load gif of large neon sign pointing at stormhold*. Using Blaise's numbers, which are similar to what I recall using, he averaged 44 pieces of barbed per suit of leather. Lets round up to 50 just to be safe. At 3000 a suit, its 60gp per piece of leather used. (2500\50gp) Tradebot has barbed leather at 21gp right now. Excluding the norse helm (ingots), Blaise's studded suits averaged 355 pieces per. I've tried to pay attention and the few I've crafted fell closer to 200-300 pieces per studded suit, but because luck plays more into crafting the studded than the leather the numbers can have a greater variance. I'll average blaise's numbers and my estimation to 300. 300 x 60gp = 18,000gp. Even at 300, the "cost" is still nearly twice as much as I have seen charged for studded. Would anyone actually pay 18k for a GM studded suit? Why does anyone pay 3k for a suit of leather when that's nearly 3 times the value of the leather itself. Supply and demand of course.

I agree with Dalavar there. My original point was that based on AR value, the crafted leather and studded set the bare minimum that you could expect to get from magical armor of the same type. Why would anyone expect to pay less for something with a better AR? Leather is in far greater demand than studded, because of the meditation factor. There is a strange reversal of demand versus cost with studded, which is why its available on so few vendors. Personally I want to provide it all on my vendor, in order to service the rare customer wanting a GM spined studded suit, for example. Regardless, there is always more money to be made from the raw resources selling leather suits (and magical leather as well). At the going rate of 10k (9k at my vendor for a limited time only) per studded suit, you are making 33gp per leather piece, versus the 60gp per with leather suits.

Fun to break all the numbers down. Hopefully the people of Sosaria will not revolt against the leather armor vendors now that these figures have been exposed. :)
  9. Wil

Wil Member

FWIW, I tend to do guarding bone sets w/ wooden shield for 250 gold, hardening bone for 350 and guarding plate sets w/ metal shield for 1400. They generally sell in a week or so. Defense I either sell to the NPCs or throw in a free bucket by my vendor.

My bet would be that leather and studded hardening and up will fetch the best prices. They're expensive to repair but have no dex penalty. Bone isn't worth much (too expensive to repair) and ring and chain will tend not to fetch much either (not as good as plate but like plate they come with a dex penalty).

Regards,
    Wil