Making Spirit Speak more usefull

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Spooner, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

you guys want pure trammel
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Nefarious use of ghosts was effectively enabled when account limitations were increased. We don't want Trammel, we want function that makes sense and logic applied the exessive abuse of multi-accounts. Giving murderers (or thieves) a free monitor into anyone's space by way of an idling account (earning them platinum at the same time even), is Trammel. Giving the players a logical ability to counter that Trammel, is Feluccian. Can you by chance stop being such a sissy? You went PvM and now you want fucking candyland everywhere you go?

Get back to stealthing and stealing. You were a lot more fun when you didn't suck so much ass you had to ghost people/places. ;)
  3. Spooner

Spooner Active Member

Anything that can be done in this game should definitely have a counter measure.

I know that being able to see ghosts with spirit speak is going to make some people mad, but isn't the ability to do something without any risk what we would call trammel?
  4. Jack of Shadows

if you are ghosting a house and someone can see the ghost, your entire account is going to be banned. That eliminates spying, house looting, and a few other things. I'd rather see the skill get a perk boost for use on hybrids than to take ghosting out of the game. Champ spawns I can understand, but it's blah for all the other reasons.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Doing any of those things with ghosts is illogical. Ghosts should not be able to understand the living, much like the living cannot understand them. House looting will always be possible with a well played and timed stealth operation. You of all people should know that. I guess putting a crimp in your lame ass methods of practice would be a downer for you and those who need illogical functions to enable their nefarious behavior.

Ghosting would not be 'out of the game', as it would still require the opponent to counter it with an entire skill slot. You can still ghost a house, and just like stealthers hope people don't think to use DH, ghosters can hope their targets don't use Spirit Speak. The ability to apply skill and ban an account from your house should be just as possible for both sides. The fact that you cannot ban a ghost spy from your house until they manifest, is basically Trammel for scumbags.

Stop being so afraid of challenge Jack. It's very unbecoming.
  6. Jack of Shadows

*shrugs* it's still a trammeling of ghosts
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

It is quite the opposite. It is un-Trammeling criminal activity and providing power to the people, should they choose to gain the skill to fight such crimes.

That, or bring back tracking of ghosts.

I can't fathom how you think making the game more challenging for you to be a thief or spy, is Trammel. It's not removing it, just forcing you to use SKILLS in the game to accomplish the goals of ripping people off and spying on them. You want to do it, then do it the way the skills were intended. Not by dying on one of the accounts you're not farming gold with, so you can spy on shit or potentially housebreak.

I highly doubt the developers realized that people would someday use multiple accounts to place CCTV in any location they see fit, undetected. Accounts are free so new rules and mechanics should be implemented to provide logical balance to the environment.
  8. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

"Nefarious use of ghosts was effectively enabled when account limitations were increased. We don't want Trammel, we want function that makes sense and logic applied the exessive abuse of multi-accounts. Giving murderers (or thieves) a free monitor into anyone's space by way of an idling account (earning them platinum at the same time even), is Trammel." -Blaise

BOOM!
    Well put sir.
  9. Jack of Shadows

I'd be down for tracking but it sucks because when it was like that you'd run a long ways and reveal forever until you realized a ghost was there. If you put in the ability to reveal ghosts then ghosting houses is done for, 5 char ban for being revealed in a house. And trammeling criminal activity by your logic is how fucking trammel got put in, just make private houses unable to be entered at all, that's the direction that will take. The more you limit the aspects of things like this, the closer to trammel you get. Next thing you know their wouldn't be any blocking, looting of bodies, only duel pvp, and all of that other nonsense. Ghosting has been part of the game since it started.

Anyhow, I've said my op on this one. *leaves thread never to return*
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

OMG, if we allow blessed sandals, weapons and armor are next!!!!
    Save the breath sir, it's not nearly as drastic as you're making it sound. Literally dozens of illogical functions have been part of the game since it started. That is not even close to a good justification to leave it in game. If you are revealed while stealthing a house, you get your whole account banned. You are simply asking for free reign to spy on and get inside other people's homes. Should we allow healers to res through walls too?
    Your entire argument that it is Trammel is silly. Ghosting houses being 'done for' is a good thing and not becuase it's Trammel but because it's fucking stupid. If you want to spy, stealth in like a boss and hope you don't get revealed. Or how about allow ghosts to give house-commands so they can ban other ghosts. It just does not make any logical sense to permit something that simply cannot be countered in any other way.
    Same goes for IDOCs. You want to hunt for falling homes, and be undetected, Hiding and Stealth are there for all your Feluccian needs.
    Ghosts monitoring dungeons and houses is full Trammel bullshit and should be removed or changed in such a way that people wanting to be spies or monitor areas will need to apply skills, not death robes.

If we were restricted to a single account only, I wouldn't care in the least about ghosting dungeons or homes. However, we all have the option to run two ghosts farming welfare platinum, while we go out and make money or actually play on the third. Seriously, gtfo with ghosting bullshit.
  11. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Let's keep in mind you will only be revealed if SS is succesfully used. I doubt many people (if any) will get SS just to detect ghosts at IDOCs and such.
  12. Jack of Shadows

that's part of playing fel UO, seriously. (I lied about being finished)

I'm okay with the custom stuff, but there are things about the feel of the game that are fel specific, if you get too far from that, you might as well just be a pure custom based trammel server. No one is complaining about pks running around with blessed runics. while a perk for factions, you can look at the kill records and see what they're using them for. But that's part of being on a fel server. Like Google killing newb's horses for the kill count, it's pk/pvp/murder accurate, ghosting houses was always part of the rogue feel for the game too, along with the stealing, looting, lure killing, clever, handsome, witty, charming, heroic, dashing, and much loved antics of the thief. A ghost is a tool, and it's always been a part of the game, and you're going to take it out because you're stoned and bored farming trammel and reading the forums and day dreaming on changes.

And everyone knows I hate being pkd, but if they use them too, I'll deal with it. I think it will be funny when a bunch of newbs suddenly face plant them.

http://www.askcorran.com/belan/episodes.html

http://looterslair.com/category/uo-episodes/evil-galad/

http://uothief.freeforums.org/general-discussion-f5.html

http://www.crazyjoe.us/crazyjoe.old/ultimaonline2/episodes.htm

I have a better idea for spirit speak. Use it to hear the ghosts, so you can find out where the body is to loot them. Or help them, whatever.

http://www.crazyjoe.us/crazyjoe.old/ultimaonline2/status.htm

[​IMG]
    *boom your schnuts vlar!*
  13. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Ghosting on extra accounts is NOT supposed to be part of the game Jack.

It never was for me and I've played off and on since 98. But maybe that's because I'm not a lamer that exploits every possible weakness of the game.
  14. Spooner

Spooner Active Member

OSI originally had it set up to where you could not operate more than one account at a time per computer. The issue of ghosting back then was not a problem because in order to do it, you either had to play only the character which was a ghost, or have a whole other computer to play on with another payed account.

The way we play the game now is radically different and requires that the game be updated to reflect the new mechanics.

Seriously though, you're yelling about trammel because you don't want to lose your full-proof tool, and that's about as trammel as it gets.
  15. Spooner

Spooner Active Member

We could even go a step further and make SS just like detect hidden, where you don't need any skill to reveal in a house.
  16. Knive

Knive New Member

super ghost power the more ghosts you collect the stronger you become. lol im j/k
  17. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

UOR, Ghost Busters patch! DON'T CROSS THE STREAMS!!!! *is polymorphed into llama*
  18. Jack of Shadows

I used to know people that had 20+ accounts, what world are you living in? they were only 10 bucks a month
  19. Jack of Shadows

when they put the free account links with the young players with ranger armor, we just to register dif email addresses and opened them and looted them, then trained them up and sold them, or ditched them.
  20. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

That doesn't seem to violate the 'spirit' of the game to you? I sure as hell didn't hang around anyone who played the game like that.