Mana Drain and Mana Vampire never succeed

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Mes, Mar 15, 2014.

1. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Versus targets of any level of resist as far as I can tell, they always get resisted. I don't know what the implications are for resist gains. But as far as I can tell, they always get resisted fully.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Do you happen to know the difference between the two. I'm assuming one leaches mana onto the caster, versus the other just draining, but are there any formulas out there?
  3. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I don't know the formula for mana drain. But it is circle 4 and it causes the target to lose mana temporarily. After x seconds the mana is returned. (The caster never receives any of this mana). How much mana you lose I think is determined by resist.

Mana Vampire - I think mana lost/gained is determined simply by Caster's Eval - Target's Resist.
  4. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

mana vampire should steal mana from target, I don't know if either of those spells have ever worked well in UO (vampire at all)
  5. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

While they are highly resisted I've been completely mana drained when my mana drain wand reflects on me (2 or 3 times.) I've also been fully mana drained at the start of 2 separate fights when an enemy mana drained me.
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Actually I don't think the mana was ever "returned", other than by normal regeneration. For mana vampire, it was not impacted by eval. Eval only impacted damage from direct damage spells.

At this point I think the success rates for these spells against various resist levels are lost to the ages. There is some anecdotal evidence on old Groups postings, but IMO it's not particularly solid.
  7. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

8. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I'm sure it worked like that at some point (maybe still does). When did you play? I'm pretty sure both of these spells were virtually non-functional through at least 2001.