Mindblast

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Eisensaft, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Nice, that could certainly be handy in playing 0 Magery chars for sure.
  2. Brymstone

Brymstone Well-Known Member

The fastest I ever completed a bandage when dex determined how fast they kicked in was 8 seconds and it was shortly nerfed thereafter as it made fights almost impossible to win with turtle/healer mage hybrids. MB is overpowered, everyone knows this to be true at their core but I don't blame people for defending it as they do. It's happened before and it's happening here on this shard. It's just too damn good to give up lol Giving warriors some love wouldn't imbalance gameplay if done correctly, but as it is right now, playing a warrior in PvP is sadly not a viable option at this time.
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I think you're mistaken but only insofar as your definition of a warrior. Yes, a pure warrior is not likely to last very long in the field if they are not balanced out. Its just accepted apparently that if you really want combat in UO, you need to have some of the non-combat skill Magery, in order to do so effectively.
  4. Ningauble

Ningauble Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I'm fairly certain it was 6s Brym. If heal speed were increased the pure warrior, one heck of a fun template, would be workable. I get the reality of the situation but magery should never be a necessity for a warrior.
  5. Brymstone

At the time it could have been my connection, but for me at 100 dex I timed bandaging at 8s but at any rate it didn't matter because it was shortly changed. Magery is a truly unfortunate necessity for PvP, I wish this shard could explore creative options/alternatives for the pure warrior, instead of promoting the mage culture as has always been done d/t the high damage over short periods magery provides, making it the dynamic play style it is
  6. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Magery is just a huge part of this game. So many of the most useful abilities come from that spellbook. There is no subsitute for many of those spells. So for that reason I think every character should have magery (doubly so if it wants to survive in pvp.) This isn't about mage elitism, I'm just being honest about how to make an effective character in this era. If we had chivalry here, it would be different. That was one of the first steps towards non-magery options in templates. This isn't me asking for chivalry, however, I'm happy either way.

I will say a couple of things about mindblast but I know this always falls on deaf ears, people are usually pretty firmly rooted in their hatred of the spell. Yes, it is the bane of 100/100/25 characters. However it is the biggest supporter of hybrid templates. And this favors dex classes, in my opinion. Hybrid classes that are more magery dependent would always prefer to be 100str/100int/25 dex - because swing speed is not as useful as HP and mana pool. Especially in pvp, you are able to swing so rarely at your opponent that your swing speed is hardly relevant.

On the other hand, dex based classes that use magery for support really benefit from being incentivized to have higher int. A dex template needs to have higher int to take less mindblast damage here - and now they can use that mana pool to cast more greater heals or teleports or recalls, etc.

but i digest
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  7. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

We definitely don't need faster bandages, we need more reliable damage output of weapons. The only real reliable dmg is the LJ, if all swings connect you are going to be looking at the grass. We need to be able to drop people more quickly, there are so many ways to escape/heal it is almost pointless, that is why you have people running in groups. It won't happen however, because it always gets spun around on miners or inexperienced getting pkd (which get dropped anyways if they don't recall in time).

We need to remove some of the low end dmg of weapons and faster swing weapons should be changed accordingly. Make the warrior better instead of nerfing MB, max out your dex and you can wear heavy armor to lower MB dmg and eat some brown magic fish. :p
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Surely you jest!?!?!?

I'm not sure what Chivalry did but I'll go look it up. I do get what you're saying about the balance and support of hybrids and dexxers alike. It makes sense, but alas, I may never get to play a character without Magery for realsies without getting shat on in combat. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually :)
  9. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

In 'real life' mages were always more powerful than warriors :p
  10. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

unless the warrior got close enough to stab him.......
    Wise likes this.
  11. Brymstone

Wulver you might be on to something, the low end damage on this shard is a pain to say the least. Maybe this shard will one day realize what a majority of others did (problem is as in the past, everyone really knows MB is broken but will not admit it) when one spell influences the way every PvPer has to "balance" their stats to offset the damage then that spell is simply too powerful. At no point has one spell caused such a shard wide adjustment for characters to be competitive. In fact I was one of the people that wanted to keep MB when I was rolling dex-monkeys, in fact it was like performing the same cheap power move over and over again in mortal kombat (you know the one that pissed everyone off and they always accused you of cheating) but eventually the party was over and we all knew the spell was broken. It was fixed, play became more balanced and UO moved on.
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  12. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Were talking about real world magic here not some crazy hypothetical scenario, can we take this a little more seriously guys.

:p
  13. [Mobolin]

[Mobolin] Active Member

I can't agree more on the low damage hits...seeing 1-3dmg hits off of +25 Vanq (insert weapon of your choice here) ______, is super, SUPER annoying. Not to mention the random hit/miss ratio. Poor warriors will never get love :mad:
    Wulver likes this.
  14. Brymstone

I just can't understand letting mages wear the uber leather, letting them have passive wrestling, stun and MB while the dexxer class has special hits that don't amount to anything and consistent low end damage and inconsistent hit ratios. It truly is a mage shard and that saddens even one such as I who used to play nothing but tank mages through 1998-2006. A little warrior love wouldn't hurt.
  15. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Yeah, will probably just go back to refreshing houses.
  16. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

If you can't deal with he hit/miss randomness you will never be satisfied with any implementation of damage rolls.
  17. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

I posted this same post on the lumberjacking discussion but I feel it is just as viable here.

"Back in the day" I could run a naked/leather warrior/dexxer of any type with 100 str/100 dex/ 25 int and I did PRETTY well. I haven't been here long enough to test this even a little so I am merely going off of what I keep hearing "MINDBLAST OH NO! ITS THE END OF THE WORLD" and then I see people((Mes and someone else, can't remember his/her name)) saying things like "Well the truth is, it's hard out here for a pimp, you MUST have magery to have a viable pvp template, I am a big supporter of this, I think every class should have magery"....then I'm like seriously??? Someone actually had the testicular fortitude to say something like "I stand by EVERY template having magery, after all".

But hey, I'm just a new guy, and as said numerous times, I can dig it one way or the other :). I have and always will be a warrior, and where as, I might make a hybrid or a mage of one type or another, warrior will always be my chosen favorite class for PVP and PVM. Got tired of whining about mages like....15 years ago LoL, so made some adjustments and Stab/Chop/Bash Em' ALL! :)

However, that being said, I DO NOT like hearing ANYONE say something like....Chivalry is/was the best....screw chivalry, game killer.
  18. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

Man UP warriors! :)

19. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I mean this is a whole can of worms.

Should you do pretty well as a naked 100/100/25 dexer? should this be rewarded? The best dexers use a combination of poison, para blows, all potions (including purple), wands, and magery to get the job done. This isn't far from the era of the naked townie but I don't think it is a hallowed play style, and people are too knowledgeable of other game mechanics to lose to them regularly.

Do dexers do well? Sure. They're ideal for 1v1 situations and as the fights get bigger their strength becomes diminished because of ranged attacks and synchronized damage from teams.

Should they do well without magery? Well you could get along pretty well with just wands and pots. But what if you need to get somewhere fast? Are you going to hoof it or can we agree that recalling would be more efficient? This era of the game just doesn't have subsitutes for recalling. Or teleporting. Or dispelling. Or fifty other things. You would at the very least need chivalry to answer some of these problems.

So I don't build characters without magery. I have a dexer, and he has 100 magery for utility. It's never used to do damage but it is used to heal in a clutch situation or cast magic reflect or recall around. I wouldn't play without it.
  20. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

1.) You could heal in 6s or so in actual UOR, but, I'm confident that this was one of the worst changes to come from publish 16. It leads to dexers fighting until the other runs out of bandages. It makes non-magery dexers near-impossible to kill even with magery! (which I assume is why a few of you like it).
    http://www.wtfman.com/flash/commovie.htm <-- Valid in-era criticism

2.) You should just accept that you need Magery to compete. You needed Magery in UO. You needed Magery in UO:T2A. You needed Magery in UOR (Although it wasn't as required because of the above mentioned #1, but still Magery + Fencer = very scary)

3.) Balanced Stats are not a big deal. If you have Magery you can cast Cunning. Ever hear of a Magical Wizards Hat? Those are nice too. (and blue/white pots)

4.) Weapon damage here is super frustrating. I believe this is the fundamental problem that makes using any weapon frustrating (especially archery).

This is a simplified graph of two distribution types. The Y axis is the probability that a specific value on the X axis will be rolled.

[​IMG]

It's important to note that the damage per second of both of these distributions would be identical. There would be no change in total damage output over time.

So what is different? UOR uses the left distribution. In it, you have an equal chance to hit for minimum damage (1-3hp maybe) as you do to hit max damage. The problem here is that you never have any idea how much damage you are going to hit for. You can only hope that you get a few avg-high damage rolls in a row and manage to kill someone. Meanwhile, magery does consistent damage all the time, not a whole lot of guess work is involved.

The right (Normal) distribution is what most people would expect. It's how UO actually worked, and it's precisely the reason RPG's use multiple dice to determine damage. Under the normal distribution, you would more frequently hit for average damage, almost never hit for extremely low, or extremely high damage. With this distribution, you at least have some idea what your next hit will be. It's good for tank mages and dexers because it drastically eliminates the probability of hitting multiple 2hp hits in a row. But the total DPS remains the same.

Why doesn't UOR use the Normal distribution? It's not built into runuo by default. Other servers that use it have coded it in. It also increases server demand, possibly quite dramatically, there is no way to accurately account for this without stress testing.

5.) Archery. The range requirement makes archery pointless. You will almost never hit anything when moving, or if it's a reasonable distance away. Why is there a range check for this skill's hit chance?

That's my 2 cents, from my experience playing here.
    [Mobolin] and Wodan like this.