Mindblast

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Eisensaft, Aug 17, 2012.

1. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

That would be a switch wouldnt it.....
  2. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I requested awhile back that some area of the lost lands could have a melee only zone with a castle and evil knights.

I guess if you want melee to work you need DP or LJ. I just want the low end rolls (maybe bottom 3 rolls) removed on the slower type weapons. We could easily test these out, at least I think it would be easy to test.
  3. Brymstone

Brymstone Well-Known Member

Mages have wind, I would like to see warriors get something like that.
    Jupiter likes this.
  4. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Yeah. Not just a specific urk, paws area. but a little area where mages over 20 can't enter. Urk majokas and Paws mages can suck it!

No offense Jupiter.... wait I'm Jupiter!

But I like this idea. It would be fun to test what creatures warriors can take on. Creatures in this area would not necessarily have to be non magic users. Ogre mages, titans, could be possible.
    Wulver likes this.
  5. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  6. Brymstone

Make the requirements like that of wind, maybe you need to have three melee skills gm'd and no magery (or maybe not over 30). That might cut down on the bards and tamers
  7. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

Honestly, if theres not a ton of gold to be made extremely fast there would be no reason for tamers or bards.

That said, i mean, i do fine on my warrior in some hot spots. I dont need a dungeon for warriors.

And Im npt terrified of the small ampunt of reds here. start hunting together guys of your that scared. Thats not me bing mean honestly, just saying. If i can do fone and Im super new here, then Im sure anyone can.
  8. Jupiter

I would agree with your response komp if the premise of these ideas was "escaping" murderers, but you've failed to see this is far from that. What is being proposed is an area akin to wind for the same spirit of having an isolated access for a specific class. Murderous warriors would be able to enter this area as well as valorous nothing we have stated would suggest otherwise.

Now I know the next argument some will make is "why don't we make a specific place for every template? Where does it end?"

To that argument I reply that you need to study your kingdom and phylums of characters. If you break it down you will find the most basic building block to determining a character capable of doing damage is to decide "how do I want to finish things off? With Corp Por or Klink/smash?"

There are of course some instances of hybrids with almost equivalent magery and melee skills, but in over 95% of character development for an adventurer you have to pick are you more mage or more melee? Even if you have barding, cooking, camping, etc.

So should every plausible template receive an area like this? No. Two areas would sufficiently serve all derivatives of mage/warrior templates.

In closing, please don't base any other counter arguments on the premise of trying to escape pk's
    Brymstone likes this.
  9. Brymstone

Well said Jupiter, it would be more for flavor and honor than a "special" farming spot. Even heated battles between valiant and murderous warriors might break out from time to time. Fighters pitting skill, muscle and steel against each other in glorious combat, and no magic to decide the outcome.
  10. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

Just saying, this started off with people "complaining" about Mindblast, then turned into a conversation on "well I'm a warrior and shouldn't have to worry about mindblast so much" to "why don't warriors have a place to get away from mages".

To far from that grey line that WAS/IS the old days if yah ask me.
  11. Jupiter

I'll agree with you here. 6 pages in I forgot this stemmed from the mind blast dilemma. The topic of a possible warrior area could merit it's own thread. It just seems there is no clear answer to mind blast. 63 other spells and this is the only one that directly impacts stats. To me that alone makes mind blast more powerful than flame strike. I've never found myself wondering if I should increase my mana to account for flame strike. However changing it at this point in the game is like extracting metal shrapnel from iron man's heart........
  12. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

If it was a lvl 7 spell no-one would be as upset Id say...only be able to cast 2 in a row.
  13. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Whoa jupedor, you are getting forgetful, grey wizard. There are many spells that impact stats! :)

The short answer to - why mindblast? - is it makes hybrid templates more viable. If there was no mindblast then every single character, pve or pvp, would be a 100/25/100 variation. The variety adds depth to the game.
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
    Jupiter likes this.
  14. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I'm just glad that the struggling tamers out there get a specific area/quest for them... life is hard.
  15. Jupiter

sorry i should have specified, spells that impact the decision of setting permanent stats. I believe I was under the effects of Rel Wis when I wrote that. There are spells that drop your stats effectively doing damage in form of temporarily reduced stats, but mindblast is salt on that wound. "here i'll reduce your health by ~11%, and then i'll do 40+ damage to you.
  16. Jupiter

also, i should respectfully remove myself from this thread. i have no business interfering with PvP. I just do that when I'm trying to not die, but I'm not actively engaged in it so any suggestions I make are solely based on theory of what I have heard and have no applicable experience.

I think what caught my interest was an added melee only area and it has solid premise for making it. Wind exists because we accept that mages would make a secret place.

A warrior place could also be built around the same premise that warriors are racist against wizards and train to keep them in check so they cannot over take the WORLD..

(also, random plug for, where is Lord British??)
    Kochampftt likes this.
  17. Brymstone

Kinda looks like your looking for an argument, I could be wrong and I hope I am.

Ko, buddy I still hate Mindblast, it's an overpowered spell for the mana and potential damage it's capable of. It's the only spell (fifth circle mind you) that FORCES people to change their stats to accomodate for it if they even want to have a chance in PvP, that in and of itself is ridiculous IMO (It's just an opinion)

I still play here and if the mechanics change then so be it, if they don't I'll still play here.

This shard has alot to offer other than PvP, so I like to explore many different aspects of this shard, PvP is o.k. and I have ran a pseudo-hybrid and I've done o.k., it's just not my gig, is it the end of the world? No, so with that being said, I think Jupiter needs to start another thread so we can discuss a warrior's version of Wind, it sounds very promising.

Before you get on about that as well, it's not to get away from mages, it's something different and could be extremely fun, just as many other ideas players on this shard might have.

That's my 2 cents, simply my opinions, and I'm sure there are those that feel short-changed.
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  18. napo

napo Well-Known Member

Mindblast is the way that it is for a reason. Despite sentiments that it is anti-dexer, it's actually there for dexers.

To be viable in pvp, dexers need magery to cast gheal. To be able to cast more than two gheals, dexers need a moderate level of intelligence. Dex is kind of a terrible stat to have maxed for pvp anyway, because to get the full benefit of your dex you need to be standing on your opponent every time that your swing timer is up, and that isn't something that happens often in pvp even when you are using slow weapons.
    Because of these reasons, dexers usually have moderate amounts of intelligence. A properly designed dexer will never be 100/100/25 even in a world without mindblast.
    This isn't the case for mages, even tank mages benefit from being able to go 100/25/100. Mages, unlike dexers who are forced to balance their stats out of a necessity born from needing to cast gheal, are forced to balance their stats for the sake of avoiding being killed easily by mindblast. If this wasn't the case, mages would be running around with maxed strength and would be harder to kill in general than dexers.

Mindblast is seen as a feather in the mage's cap, but the reality is that it being the way it is creates an environment where mages are forced to not min/max their stats.
    Jupiter and Godric Greycliff like this.
  19. orb

orb Active Member

I hope all this talk about mindblast and pvp, etc will get people excited to start pvping or at least learn to pvp. Join factions, chaos/order.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    Jupiter likes this.