Mining house questions

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Mopz, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Mopz

Mopz Member

Hey all, was searching a bit on forum but cant seem to find any comprehensive guide or a topic completely related to a specifics of setting up a mining house.
    I would appreciate some answers related to basics of house mining:

- Is it possible to find a relatively decent spot for a mining house, considering amount of houses placed?
    - What are the criteria of a decent spot? Max (or best to aim for) amount of nods reachable from the house or anything else?
    - What is the best choice - small marble workshop because of accessible roof for placing ladders?
    - What to consider in general when searching for a spot and placing a house?

Above are the first things that come into my mind when thinking of mining, but I will for sure have more questions to mining veterans of UOR.
    Thanks!
  2. Carm

Carm Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I'm by no means a veteran but I'll answer the best I can.

- Is it possible to find a relatively decent spot for a mining house, considering amount of houses placed?
    There are still places, it all depends on what you're trying to mine.
    - What are the criteria of a decent spot? Max (or best to aim for) amount of nods reachable from the house or anything else?
    Most players want a couple different things to consider. Amount of nodes and type of nodes. For example, if you have 3 nodes that produce agapite, bronze, and shadow that gives you all 3 masonry type of golems that will spawn from those nodes with a gargoyle pickaxe (Agapite turns to verite and produces marble, bronze to gold and sandstone, shadow to copper and stone)
    - What is the best choice - small marble workshop because of accessible roof for placing ladders?
    Best choice depends on the spot, small marbles or small stone towers are usually the houses that get placed just because of spacing but a sandstone patio can also work, all the way up to a tower for real money printing efforts.
    - What to consider in general when searching for a spot and placing a house?
    Know how to look at the nodes on either the world map and/or UOAM. It's helpful to understand where the resource grids are in comparison to the house spot. Understand that you can only hit nodes a maximum of 3 tiles away so if the ladder doesn't get you to that distance it's not doing anything for you.

Plenty of other folks can chime in here but those are some of my inputs.
    Moryn, Orion GM BD and Kiryana like this.
  3. Mopz

Mopz Member

Thanks Carm.
    So best case scenario is to have verite, gold and copper (or one tier below considering gargoyles)?
    So 3 nodes is a target, or perfect case scenario, in case of small house, that I consider as main option for now only because of lesser space and easier placing.

I have geo survey on, but I dont know how to apply resource grid on integrated into CUO world map. Is this possible at all?
  4. Carm

Carm Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Always consider gargoyle pickaxes if you're looking for plots for golem houses.

So usually that would min (at a minimum) agapite, copper, iron to get each of the 3 types of masonry golems. However, if you're less worried about type variety and more worried about let's say marble because it (when it does) has the better cost associated with the ingots, you could get away with a 2 node house that spawned marble elementals with a garg pickaxe. The more nodes you can hit from a house increases it's value if you want to sell it at a later date. More nodes=more golems=more gold typically.

Resource grid is only available on UOAM, link below:

https://uorforum.com/threads/uoam-resource-grid-8x8.8443/
  5. Mopz

Mopz Member

Why do I actually need grid for mining house if I have geo survey that already considers 8x8 grid? 2-3 nods around the house with different ore types already mean that nods located in separate tiles. If my understanding is correct ofc.

Does OUR World Map show up to date housing state? So on the pic below in both places there might be a mining house potential?

upload_2020-9-21_11-16-32.png

If yes - can please someone indicate interesting/convenient locations to start search from?
  6. Nusir

Nusir Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

@Carm has covered the basics, however the location is sometimes very important if you are able to get a location that keeps your spawned ore golems from wondering off, it can be a great benefit, also it can be worth having more than 1 mining house where you can just go between them for the difference of ore. Till you find that house with 3+ nodes.

Good luck with your search!
  7. Mopz

Mopz Member

I've placed 2 houses half-screen from each other, both have access to 2 nodes from the roof plus more nodes around, i'd say more then 10 total (iron, dull, copper, gold, shadow, verite, valorite).
    So I have few more questions until I'm looking for gargoyle pickaxes and can start

Mainly how to deal with elementals cuz I have no idea if they actually hit hard or die fast (I checked their stats on compendium but still).
    1. how to wear battle miner (sword-lj)? leather to avoid dex penalties?
    2. is it crucial to have slayer weapons? or some regular accurate 2h axe for the start can work well?

@Nusir
    I have set everything like you posted HERE, instead of anvil and small forge.
    Am I right that stairs should be fully blocked so elementals will by a default follow the only possible way through the footstools, if I will be mining from the roof?
    And if not roof i need to kite them there?

Thanks.
  8. Chafe

Chafe Well-Known Member

Hey Mopz,

I have a lumberjack battle miner that works v well for me. I'm on mobile at the mo so going to post links:

http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/2046346

Int for gating pack llama (sometimes mine in the wilds), casting poison fields when house battle mining, and blessed I can cast 8th lvl spells.

The armour he's wearing is 1 dex loss (can use studded leather gorget for 0) and is the typical 'dexxer suit' used by warriors.

Slayer weapons are not crucial but make your life a lot easier. I started with vanq axes, and then got a couple of low end slayers (might I think) that have really sped up the process.

I use a different setup for the house:

http://uorforum.com/threads/sold-4-node-mining-workshop.49218/

The trash barrel allows you to step up and hit them, and move back to heal if they get some big successive hits on you. You can toe to toe the easier elementals, but verite/val/marble hit hard.

I have a hatchet in my backpack at all times, and have 2 quick macros - one to place the trash barrel as I run through, and one to chop it to get back out. It also means you don't need to lock the door ever.

Drop me a message on discord (same name), more than happy to answer more questions etc.

Cheers.
    Mopz and Orion GM BD like this.
  9. Mopz

Mopz Member

Thanks @Chafe gonna be hard to catch you online from EU. But I can try.
    Trash barrels macro should help a bit.
    Poison field on trapped elems?

Anyhow, yesterday I tested trap and mining.
    Wearing vendor studded leather and +10 large battle axe of vanq. Mostly everything was killed relatively easy 1 on 1, except of marble/valoirite which hit hard and die slow.
    Gonna try with ring/chain, weapon will stay as is atm (I'm a bum).

My slightly adjusted setup:

upload_2020-10-2_9-48-46.png

Doing everything from the roof seems fine almost all the time as elems go inside the trap, not every thou, some remain outside.
    Current problem is that I hit from the roof only 2 nodes and while mining outside kiting seems to be a problem - as i cannot kite them one by one due to the narrow pass.

Maybe I can have some advises how to deal with this in a current setup? or the only way is to make trap 1 tile wider and kite after?

Also I faced another problem: mining verite from the roof ladder (castle ladder) all marble/valorite elems spawn directly on the ladder and start hitting me hard making the trap useless.
    Can this somehow be avoided?