Miscellaneous Suggestions to Improve PvP Balance

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Zim, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Hello there.
    Id like to chime in on a few things that I was thinking about the other day to try and help improve the PvP scene here on UO:R.
    My main main reason for posting this is that I would love to spark a creative discussion to help improve overall PvP balance, diversity of templates in the field, and to address some of the wonky stuff thats been going on for a while now.
    I do understand that PvM content, all the super cool holiday events, and general pixel crack type stuff is first priority. I still would like to just lay my thoughts out as I believe that it would benefit the shard as a whole to have both a SUPER robust PvM scene as well as one of the most balanced and engaging PvP system to date.
    So anywho, here are my Ideas.

Weapon Specials and Stun/Disarm:
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    I think weapon specials should be manually activated, cost stamina, and function much like Stun and Disarm do for wrestling. I propose using the PrimaryAbility Action thats already built into the client so you can even set it to a macro. I do mean to add in the 50% chance to fail as well.
    (I am NOT advocating for AoS weapon specials!)
    Reasoning: Make more templates viable for PvP combat. Improve overall balance and to try and remove the domination of one style of PvP.

Either this, or have stun and disarm function like the other weapon specials. ie, cost nothing, but be random.

Combat should be about skill. One of the reasons a stun mage is so popular and powerful, in my opinion, is the fact that theres a minimum of random chance involved in the combat. You KNOW when youre attempting to stun, so you can expect that more often than not it will land, so you plan for it and include it in a combo. This is HUGE!! If you could activate the other weapon specials in the same way, you could co-ordinate with other warriors, or plan to include it in your combos.
    By adding the 50% Fail chance this will increase the amount of time warriors land specials overall if you spam the ability, but still make it so one person cant reliably stunlock someone with a spear.. The cost of stamina will slow their weapon speed and force them to use potions as well.
    The most beautiful part to this in my mind, is that it would be an indirect buff to Macefighting. 25% more crushing blows means more poor mans axes out in the field.

Ethy Mounts:
    ------------------------------------
    Simple change here. Make mounting an ethy not break stealth. For its cost, an ethy should be a stealth assassins wet dream.
    Reasoning: More viable PvP templates

Reactive Armor:
    Another simple thing here. Treat hits while RA is up as hits and have it interrupt spellcasting. The spell should be a damage absorb and a damage reflect. It should NOT act as a better version of the spell Protection.
    Reasoning: Pretty sure this is a bug. PvP Balance.

Wrestling and Weapon Damage:
    ---------------------------------------
    A successful hit should always interrupt spellcasting. There should be no 0 damage hits unless parried. This might have already been fixed.
    Reasoning: PvP Balance

Archery:
    -------------------------------------
    hahahahahahahahahahaha
    No, seriously. Make the hit chance while standing still 50% at any range. Remove the hit while moving thing. Make it so you have to stop for .5 seconds to shoot.
    or
    Just remove the sweet spot mechanic and make it 50% to hit period.
    Reasoning: PvP Balance. More viable templates on the field
    Archery here just feels broken. Archery was super powerful back in the day. Having to carry a set amount of ammo and having no active special besides range is balance enough in my opinion. I was thinking about this this the other day while playing my provo warrior. I was wondering if archery would be better than macing because I dont have resist. Being at range would give me just that many less steps to run out of range if my provo attempt failed. Then I thought about how much ammo Id have to take per hunting session so I started counting how many times I swung my warhammer. I stopped counting at 300. It would be just an insane amount of ammo.
    that right there is a HUGE balance factor for archery. You either make someone rich, or spend money and time crafting/buying the arrows. All that crap JUST so you can do damage with a weapon. Compared to a spear or warhammer which you just buy and equip and spam your specials, its just and insane amount of work when you really think about it.

Provo onto Players and Peacemaking Pets:
    Allow a player to provoke a wild (not tamed!!!) monster or animal onto other players or themselves. Allow single target peacemaking to peace tamed pets.
    Reasoning: PvP Balance. More Templates fighting in the field.
    In my opinion, Peacemaking should be a hard counter to pets in PvP.

Tamers are already at a HUGE advantage with the taming quest for more slots. I have my feelings on the subject of so many taming slots but...
    I understand that the taning quests are expensive, and time consuming.
    I understand that its a huge part of what makes the PvM here awesome and unique.
    I understand that its not really an issue right now, and peacemaking has been used to grief Harrower/Champs in the past and that is a huge deal.
    Still, I think there needs to be some balance in the system regardless. This is a Fel shard, and while its not a hardcore and blood-soaked mad max style world we have here, tamers shouldnt have the ability to dominate PvP if they so desire.

Mindblast:
    Scale the max damage down to 35 and adjust the formulas to compensate. Should be as easy as tweaking a variable.
    Reasoning: PvP Balance. More Viable stat spreads (and thus templates) in the field.
    Manduvu ( sp?) put it well in another thread... ...which I cant find right now to give a direct quote... :/
    Basically he spelled out how he can and has run with the gold standard of stats here (90int) and how he deconstructs players with halfway balanced stats (80/100/45) while playing his stun/heal mage.
    I really wish I could find that thread.
    Anyway, with mindblast being so cheap and fast to cast, in my opinion the damage is just too high. -1 to -5 damage isnt much and I believe it would be a step in the right direction.
    I really think that a mage should be able to have 100int, and a warrior should be able to have either 100str or 100dex and not be completely man-handled for it by ONE SINGLE spell

Parry and Shields
    -------------------------------------
    Allow for 100% PASSIVE mana regeneration through a shield. Wearing a shield will still block active meditation because youre holding something.
    Reasoning: More viable PvP templates in the field
    This one is just to make another template viable. A Parry/Heal mage is already a niche template thats good for fighting groups of warriors and things that hit you physically. I honestly see no reason to NOT allow this here.

PHEW! Thanks for reading! Thoughts?
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Ghosted, Mr. Green, Holden and 5 others like this.
  2. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

Nothing shittier then you finally landing a stun punch for 0 and the target being an to recall away. All things you are requesting were present and active on a very PvP based shard I once played. I miss that place...how about you @Mandevu
    Rextacy likes this.
  3. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Whaaaaat? Passive meditation is not possible through a shield here? :/ thats bad if so, pretty bad.
    I very much liked the very defensive template of my parry-healing-mage I played on OSI. It was a lot of fun.
    Sad if it would not work here.
    One likes this.
  4. SativaGreen

SativaGreen Well-Known Member

Like where you're going with these and I'd like to add:

POISONING

If a character has the Poisoning skill, it should increase the level of poisoned weapons and spell casted Poison on successful application to targets. If someone devotes 100 skill points to this skill, they should be able to use it in combat without being nullified from Potions (level 5 poison should only be 20% chance to cure from Greater Cure).

Makes warriors more viable against mages and opens up more mage templates, as well.

WAND DELAY
    Add comparable delay based on actual Magery cast recovery time when spamming wands (Gheal, Lightning specifically).

REACTIVE ARMOR
    Reactive armor should not serve as a way to mitigate spell interruption. It needs to deal 1 damage to the caster when it's activated from an attack so it cannot serve as a "spell channeling" affect that allows mages to basically be uninterruptible on weapon attacks. I also think having it up (Reactive Armor), made your defensive chance 0%, making attacks happen more likely when it's up (nullifies Wrestling skill).

STUNS/SPECIALS
    If combat specials would be triggerable, there should probably be a delay on Refresh pots or have them take from Mana.

Both Stun Punch and Paralyzing Blow should have their stun duration reduced.

Side note:

Already in game:
    Can Peace and Discord tamed pets without criminal act. This should probably be a criminal act so tamers can respond to aggressive actions on their animals.

Also, you can provoke creatures onto onto tamed pets (unsure if this turns you criminal or not, success or fail dependent).
  5. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

I believe stealth ethy-mounting was disabled due to how easily thieves could stealth near you, loot your rare item, then bolt off on an ethy.

That being said, I'd love to see it put back in!
    One likes this.
  6. Imbol

Imbol Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I like a lot of these. I would sooo love to carry a bow as a sidearm but, right now, it's just not worth it.

Archery feels like this weird isolated skill that lacks the synergy/relevance of so many other skills.

A proper warrior should be a handful in your face, and fearsome at a range. I remember Archery as a particularly powerful deterrent against mages. The difference between running around with a reliable ranged weapon out and ready versus a melee weapon dramatically impacts the effectiveness of, say, an ambush.

Paralyzed me and started casting a big spell? Ok -- no problem. Here's 20 damage and a possible interrupt. ;p

Right now, Magery seems broken as hell. Not because it's ub3r1337 or whatever, but because other stuff is so underpowered (as you've described eloquently).