My thoughts on the new mining changes

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Paradigm, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

Mes, I am running 1 miner to get that kind of spawn. There is a good chance that I am the only person that already have a 5x gm mage as my miner. Homunculus is 7x GM!

It stands to reason that if I want to drop my troll sightings from 5 and hour to 1 an hour, I should lower my Magery to 63 (no fail recall). I feel like this is forcing my character design and thus 'trammel'.

The sad irony is that the only way to solo kill with a miner is the following template:
    GM: mage, med, eval, resist, mining, tinkering, wrestle

Of course, this template will make you spawn mad trollz!

Your choice is simple.. 7x GM and solo kill, or 63 magery and bring in another character/flee. Either way, I hate having my hand forced.

As far as the PVM aspect goes, sure it's exciting for a few weeks.. but what happens after I kill my 10000000 troll this October because I am still after my first Phoenix armor piece. At some point it becomes unfun.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I think with this change I might as well just share:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/8j5a90jow34vbx0/Mining.zip

The Smithy.xml in the folder is my smithy's profile (move to appropriate directory when copying).

You will have to retarget your own runebooks, re-record the dragging of containers and a few other bits. Don't PM me asking for help with it, yes, the core of the macro was given to me by someone else a long time ago and it still took a good long while to get it going just right.

Find a mining grid by mining a vein dry, walk away until you hit ore again, mine that dry. Once that is dry, turn 90 degrees and walk until you hit ore again, this will be a 'grid intersection' where you can mine NW/NE/SE/SW from a single tile, thus tapping four veins.

I don't know/care if anyone's got one more efficient, but I'm sharing for caring. Good luck out there and happy mining.
    Huzke and Stranger like this.
  3. Stranger

Stranger Active Member

The thing about the cave troll vs a regular troll, is speaking for myself, I would actually take the time to kill the cave troll and possibly benefit from it, whereas if it was a plain ol' regular troll, i'd likly just run away from it and see it as an inconvience.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Run, Paralyze, run back, invis, done.
  5. Pulse

Pulse Active Member

I am completely new here so my input into this matter carries little weight. Having said that, I am a bit discouraged at what I am hearing in relation to the strength of the spawned mobs. I have no interest in recall mining but just started a peacer iron miner

gm music/peace/swords/anat/tacts
    70 lumber
    64.9 mining
    65.1 magery (recall,heal,gate scrolls)

As others have stated, carrying around full resources to fight these things is impractical though with leap frogging and gating(assuming that works here) you don't need to carry the ore in your pack.

I was planning to just carry an axe, peace and tear em down, and go on about my way but that is sounding like I have greatly underestimated what the mob strength would be. :(

On a side note, many times peaced mobs still get a single hit in when you approach :(
    Jupiter likes this.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

There's no reason to run 70 Lumber, in all honesty, you'd be better suited with GM for the damage bonus, however painful it is to train it that high.
  7. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

My understanding is you won't see cave trolls unless you are recall mining. I don't know how these mechanics work exactly but its not like caves are overflowing with super trolls. Traditional miners are meant to see no change whatsoever. AFK recalling miners however may have some accidents. I have continued mining and seen quite a few guys with packies running around that seem to be doing alright.
  8. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

This. This. This. This.

How was it exploitative? What part? The recalling part or the mining part? I guess you mean the part where Razor does it automagically? In the same fashion it exists to help you raise skills like taming? Or scavenge? Or sell? Or restock? Or organize? If there were no Razor then this wouldn't be a problem, right?

Let's get something right here... an exploit is an abuse of a bug, i.e. 3 pick mining. If recall miners are exploiting then so is everyone else that plugs in a macro into Razor and sits back.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Guilty conscience is guilty, yo. There are very few macros in the game that can really be called gold pumps. One of them used to be sheering/farming of sheep. That got gumped and subsequent patches have restricted the amount they re-grow wool and now how many wool they give per shear. Another one used to be mining, wherein a gump was added and now some limiting factors that require you to actually play the game to get the resources you are profiting from. I imagine next in the line might be massive inscription macros, but we don't really see a plague of inscription mages out there tapping out NPCs who buy them. Regardless, I can say that it has been patched as well considering Ganyon used to actually profit not only from training Inscription, but a GREAT deal after he was done training and I recall him mentioning it getting nerfed to a degree that reduced profit potential but did not curb it.

I know some people are not a fan of this change but it is really in the best interests of the shard whether or not you agree or like it.
    Stranger likes this.
  10. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Prior to about... 2012 I think? I wasn't even aware that UO freeshard communities existed. My life was UO-less.

I tested out a few other places, but there are very few where I am willing to embrace the changes presented. I feel the leadership of this shard have their hearts and minds in the right place. Whether I agree or not with changes made, I will do what I can to embrace them.

[​IMG]
    (this was selected because 1) it was one of the first google results and 2) it looks like a troll's hand :) )
    Basoosh likes this.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Jupiter, will you ever stop one-upping me?

*sobs*
  12. Stranger

Stranger Active Member

No I ment the way it was, the 3 pick axe thing.
  13. Stranger

Stranger Active Member

Agreed.
  14. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

1 less now...

Running 3 recall miners while watching them IS playing the game. Not your game, but it was mine. For those times that I had other RL commitments, I could stop mining on a dime, take care of business, come back and still run a viable shop. When I had uninterrupted time, I played 110% doing event content, hunting on my tamer, champ spawns, ANYTHING but mining.

Anyone who knows me and my shop knows I did not horde resources or flip my own bods, I sold both freely.

I aint mad, dems the new rules and I made a conscious choice to live by them. But it also means that mining up my own ingots to make stuff to sell, or sell bulk ingots is a thing of the past. For those times where I have RL commitments that require my immediate attention and I need to interrupt my gaming on the spot... I just plain wont be playing UOR.... For those times that I have free and clear, I sure as hell aint gonna spend it mining up ingots for someone else.

Good luck, the vendor shop was fun while it lasted.
    Orion GM BD and Paradigm like this.
  15. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

Dat Xeguggs nub trowl.......uu lyke sheem? HOHOHOHOHO!!!!
    Jupiter likes this.
  16. Xegugg

Xegugg Well-Known Member

That's a nice hand you are holding there Jupiter :)
    Basoosh and Jupiter like this.
  17. Orion GM BD

Orion GM BD Well-Known Member

I just encountered the cave troll tonight while mining. My miner has like 20 magery
    enough to recall from home to the minoc bank and recall home when Im done mining. Mining is 92.2

I was about a 1/4 way thru my run and here pops a cave troll. Instantly 1/2 life with 100 str. It popped
    on top of me. After a fast retreat I get a hide off. I normally have a 2nd char there to help hold/move
    the non iron ore. With that char, 96 magery it took me 3 EV's and 10-13 ebolts to kill it. The loot
    was 691gp, power fork, hard chain tunic, guarding leather gorget.

Now Im all for trying to make things as fair as possible, but after killing the thing it just
    took the drive I had to mine in the 1st place.

I run 1 miner for my own use of ingots for char building. I didn't want to pay 8-9 per ingot.
    Looks like Im going back fishing and making gold that way and now forced to buy ingots.

I understand the dangers of being out in the world here, but having to deal with a mob that my miner
    can't kill is crazy.

Im mining, not hunting!!
    Vlar, Paradigm and Jupiter like this.
  18. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

I would like to see Diabolical Imps spawn on Crafters while they are crafting in their homes. Also, I would like to see Evil House Elves spawn when and if the plants patch comes in. Personally, I'd just like to see every single skill in the game require an uber dexxer, tamer, or elite mage in order for the skill to be used. This whole peaceful crafter thing that allowed the Weekend Warriors and those tending children in real life a chance to not be left in the dust by the powergamers that have nothing to do in real life...lets just get rid of that. :p
    Henderson! and Paradigm like this.
  19. Henderson!

Henderson! Well-Known Member

Wool elementals!
    Vlar and Mes like this.
  20. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

Simple fix to all of this. Irc me when you spawn these trolls. I'll gladly kill them for your miners and relieve these foul beasts of their treasures. :p