New housing options

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Wise, Apr 8, 2013.

Would you like to see more staff made upgrades to existing housing options?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  2. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Awesome ideas... perhaps we can have a month long construction process and voting for a house size/style?

Make a contest for those that can create the houses? If there are enough designs per needed floor plan we could have a tournament type voting.
  3. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

3 story villa anyone? :D
  4. qbradq

qbradq Member

OK, so here's a quick stab at that medium tower Blasie wants. I'm still working on figuring out the tool chain. I used UO Architect for this, but that's very limited. WEME is very flexible but freaking tedious at times.

This probably wouldn't be practical for in-game use, but let me know what you think.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

That's very impressive actually.
  6. Gideon Jura

7. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Yes vote on planning, design, suggestions, and elimination. Perhaps we could have a few designs done up by any and all creative players and implemented. We could even have it as an annual event for everyone to partake in. This is as long as it fits in the era and is approved by everyone. Maybe for UO:R's birthday the winning construction is implemented.
  8. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Well, took me like 5 hours but I got something completed. Man, this is tedious... qbradq was right. I had to find an older version of UO Architect but I don't know how I can import it into a game. Oh well, I was just giving it a whirl. What I am about to unveil would be something I would like restricted to swamp zones only, but I don't know how possible that would be (Chris?). I based my designs off the houses in Papua, I have always loved that town and thought it would be cool to own something similar. I will try to build a house set of small, med, large/patio Papua style houses, each one with a unique "basement". This would be a large house that I have... I needed room to work here:

Basement, I would like only the inside room to change flooring (outside would be swamp):
    [​IMG]

"second floor" This is the tricky part about these houses, they skip the first floor:
    [​IMG]

With fencing/secure windows:
    [​IMG]

Third floor, double doors open to balcony and larger room:
    [​IMG]

Same floor but with fencing and smaller storage room with more open balcony/port, really liking this:
    [​IMG]

I don't know how to do roofing so there is no view of that. Again, if these were to ever pass and get voted in, I would like for them to be restricted to swamp area as it would be more fitting than ordinary homes.
  9. qbradq

qbradq Member

Great design Wulver! I like it :D I'm pretty sure that in order to do roofs you'd need to use another program like WEME. UO Architect is really intended to be used in combination with in-game editing commands. Also, roofing is tedious and hard to get right. That's why I started with the tower: there's no roof :D
  10. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Damn these are awesome, I feel like giving it a shot as well.

If anyone has a link to a good program shoot me a PM otherwise I will just start searching online.

Cheers
  11. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

qbradq, I agree.. will probably work on some roofless houses or towers for now. :p

I feel there are designs we can use without making houses seem too custom, as long as we base them off current arcitecture from towns in game. Your tower looks like a guard post almost, I really like that. I think some good designs could be taken from the houses in east Brit. Nujelm also has those little inn type houses that I think would be sweet for new player housing! =D

Doing this is fun, I have no internet at my place for now so I do this offline, walk to a wifi hotspot or use my phone to get on here. I may have a few more designs up later. :lol:
  12. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Few more designs... I went to Trinsic and used the city as a template, I love sandstone and wish we had more sandstone buildings. This is about the same dimensions as a sandstone patio:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am really enjoying this!

Here is something I thought Gideon or other land lords would love:

Nu player housing! Based off the houses in Nujelm:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wish we could utilize the houses in Nujelm (or any town), maybe an npc could sell you the room and you would refresh like a pet, the furniture would have to be removed though. These are just roughly put together so just for an idea at what we can do, as you can see it isn't too outrageous.
  13. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Apparently there are several world-builders in this thread..

These are all looking pretty cool, I like the bamboo theme simply because it's never been used before (at least prior to AoS & customizing houses)
  14. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I wouldn't claim world-builder... :lol: I'm sure there is much more work needed to implement these but if I can figure out how to bring stuff onto a server I wouldn't mind lending a hand every once in a while to help out. :geek:
  15. Gideon Jura

16. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Wulver and Grandpa, Uncle, Father, Brother, and Cousins Architecture just completed two new designs... these designs deviate minimally from what is already found amongst the townships across Britannia today! I would make a lot more but I feel I could be wasting my time. :p

Here is a small tower made out of sandstone:
    [​IMG]
    I made a few mistakes, and I am not really sure if my ladders work properly.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small Papua style shack:
    [​IMG]
    I was thinking they should only be placed in swamps.but possibly jungles as well. This way they fit in with their surroundings.
    [​IMG]
  17. Markos

Markos Well-Known Member

Here is a program you guys can use and play around with house designs if you want. Its a bit confusing to figure out, but once you do it works well. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

18. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Is that a build in outhouse?

Either way, AWESOME!
  19. qbradq

qbradq Member

Man these designs are great! I just love the sandstone tower :D I am really liking the idea of a housing design contest for the shard. I watched an interview between Markee Dragon an Lord British the other day. In it LB mentioned that one of the problems with player-created content is that most of it is bad. I don't see any badness in this thread, but it is the main reason I don't like the custom housing system. I think a housing design contest where the community gets to have input into what is and is not good content would be great.
  20. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I am one of them, I really think player custom housing looks like complete crap. I do not want it actually, it is an eye sore. However, like the Fortress and Large Keep, they are perfect and I feel we can design something similar that can fit in with the era and make players say, "why didn't they make this in the first place?"