[NEW JOINER] Fencer? Which template?

Discussion in 'PvP Discussion' started by Berindon, Dec 9, 2018.

1. Berindon

Berindon New Member

Hi All!

I have just started playing yesterday and I am creating my provo-mage to farm a bit around and make some money.

I am planning to start to have my pvp char while I am going around with the PVM one as well. I was thinking a DEXXER FENCING, but i don't really want to say no to magery since it is handy for recall and other small bits.

What is the most common template for a fencer? Would you suggest other weapons as well? I don't want an archer since I have just started and only raising magery on the provomage is costing me a fortune.

Thanks!
  2. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    Nusir likes this.
  3. Berindon

Berindon New Member

cool great answer!

I am thinking to use your "pure mage" dropping wrestling for hiding since it is a lot handy to escape fights.

I am sorry to hear that the dexxer is not really in use. I am getting frustrated with the money to raise magery on my provomage and to do another mage is painful lol.

Is it normal that i have used 500 regs and it has increased only from 50 to 55?
    One likes this.
  4. One

One Well-Known Member

5. Berindon

Berindon New Member

ok cool!

Why would i need wrestling, Is Eval Int + Anatomy = 100 wrestling in this shard as well?
  6. Berindon

Berindon New Member

If you would suggest a spot for a noob with 55 magery i would appreciate as well :)

I have reached 75 provocation tonight AFK macroing, so i feel accomplished :p
  7. One

One Well-Known Member

8. One

One Well-Known Member

9. Berindon

Berindon New Member

ah ok, I didn't know I could be back in the program.

How can i ask? Shall I send an in-game msg from "help" menu?
  10. One

One Well-Known Member

11. trifectafunk

trifectafunk Well-Known Member

I started recently myself, about 2-3 weeks ago. I began with a provo/fencer and it was a breeze! Finished in a few short days and quickly bought my first home. If you're magery is only ~55 my advice to you is to switch your bard to a dexxer. Use this toon to amass money and when you've secured 100k+ gold then begin to macro ur PvP mage on a seperate account while PvM'ing. It will save you alot of time, gold, and headache.

I've already 7x GM'd two PvP stun/heal mages(1 for myself, and 1 for a friend to play with me)
    I'd recommend stun/heal because its very easy macro to cast offensive spells on yourself to gain magery/med/eval/resist and then heal yourself to full using bandages to gain healing/anatomy.
    One likes this.
  12. Nature

Nature New Member

I need a couple pvp partners, trifecta.
    trifectafunk likes this.
  13. trifectafunk

trifectafunk Well-Known Member

Sounds good, I'm killing ogres/gazers under ocllo to collect free pots and re-learn/set-up my hot-keys. Its been like a decade since I've played and the amount of keys this game requires to use a PvP mage is ridiculous! Feel free to hit me up whenever, I've been farming gold and macro'ing I literally have met 3 people so far on this shard :)
  14. Nature

Nature New Member

Ok. This week. I just ordered a new keyboard and am doing the same thing.. setting up macros and stuff.

My characters are already done though, so I'm good there.
  15. Willard

Willard New Member

I'm enjoying my fencer/mage for PvP. Same skills as One's "2) Tank Fencer". I'm using 90str/45dex/90int. Swing speed is pretty slow, but that's not a huge issue for this build. The spear is there to do a bit of damage and paralyze.

Fencer/mage and stun/heal mage are the builds I usually see in the field. Stun/scribe mage could work too.

Fencer/mage vs stun/mage:
    • Stun punch goes off more often (50% chance on hit I believe, which would be 25% chance per swing), but doesn't do any damage. It's harder to finish off your opponent - I think successful 1v1 stun mages need to be very good with purple pots.
    • Paralyzing blow happens less often (25% chance on hit, 12.5% per swing), but the weapon damage makes it a lot easier to finish them off when you do land a paralyze. 15dmg from weapon + 35dmg explosion + 35dmg ebolt + 15dmg purple pot = 100dmg. Even there you're a little short of a kill if they're full health with a str pot. Without the weapon hit, that combo is only 85dmg. You need another explosion pot in there, or they'll have a chance to heal before you can finish them.

Stun/heal mage or stun/scribe mage are probably better builds if you're not solo (and maybe also 1v1 if you're really good with pots). Getting kills with 2+ in your group usually comes down to getting good explosion+ebolt syncs, and the higher stun rate from stun-punch makes it easier to set up syncs or lock down fleeing opponents.

Disclaimer:
    I'm not a pro PvPer, so take that into account.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    One likes this.
  16. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

I personally prefer fencing tanks only because everyone and their mom just runs. Like as fast as they can. 90% of open field pVp and pKing is chasing a mofo down. This is of course when they dont just insta recall. I have much better luck preventing that with a poisoned kryss or a shortspear than I do with a punch. MAYBE once the 0 damage punch, or the Reactive Armor bugs get fixed, stun punchers will be easier to use.

When your chasing them down with a spear, they take damage and more often than not when they stop to heal is when you get the kill. With a stun mage after you stun them you still have to kill them from 80-100%. Thats hard (for me anyway) to do in the few seconds theyre rooted and then they just heal up a bit and start drinking potions and then its off to the races again.

In my book, a spear + purple potions > Stun punch + Purple potions.
  17. Willard

Willard New Member

What's the reactive armor bug? I don't see anything about it in the bug reports forum.
  18. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

You dont actually take any damage while RA is up so your spells never get interrupted when you get hit. Im pretty sure youre supposed to take one flat damage.
  19. Nakor II

Nakor II Member

Nature, Trifecta

I'm interested in joining you for some PVP mayhem. I'm a returning player and looking to regain my past glory. Still stuck in Ocllo training though. But just GM'd magery yesterday...

Got a provo/dexxer and mage/tamer at this point. Would be willing to train up another character to round out the group.

Let me know.
    One likes this.