New player, busy life, looking for fun on UO:R

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Crohan, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Crohan

Crohan New Member

Hey everyone,

I've been on the shard for about a week and a half now so I figured I'd post something here to let people know I'm here. I played UO:R back in the day, but I was too young to get a grasp on what the hell I was actually doing. But it was fun, so I decided to see if I could find a free shard to play on. Low and behold, I found this shard which was the exact expansion I played on as a kid.
    I'm finishing up grad school (Mech Engineering, focusing on Biomedical, Design, Ergonomics, Manufacturing, Systems), so my time is extremely limited, but I do have some down time every once in a while. I decided to make a bard/dexxer as my first char since there were detailed guides and macros already out there to use. Though now that I'm getting the hang of the system, I'm wondering if I want to do some PvP instead of PvM. To be honest, I didn't play very many dungeons as a kid, so I may stick with my current build for a little while and explore some dungeons before deciding on flipping to PvP.
    I would really like to join a guild, but due to my schedule and workload, I'm not sure if I will be a useful member to anyone at the moment apart from maybe a social aspect. Depending on what happens post-graduation, I may not be on very much. It really depends on a few dice rolls in life.
    I noticed that factions are pretty much dead on this shard, which I at first I thought was a shame but have decided that it could be a good opportunity. If I decide that I want to go PvP, and that my schedule doesn't allow me to be super active in a guild, I may just consider becoming a solo member in a faction. It may be fun to do the activities completely on my own while pretending to be part of a large group. I don't know, maybe if people saw a solo member stealing sigils across towns it could call some people to action. The problem is I have no idea how to rebuild my char to fit this idea, but hey live and learn. I'm good at adapting, so if I get my ass handed to me I'll try something new.
    Anyway, nice to meet you. I still have a couple of noob questions if anyone is interesting in answering:

-How do I repair my gear?
    -How would you recommend rebuilding my bard/dexxer build into a PvP build (nothing is GM'd except music but my build is Anatomy, Musicianship, Healing, Fencing, Tactics, Provoke, and Enticement with 93/81/35 stats. Thinking about dropping enticement and picking up resist but I have no idea how to train that up)? How would you change that if you wanted a faction PvP build in the cuurent faction environment?
    -Still not decided on if I want to stay on PvM or go to PvP. Which is more fun for you and why? Feel free to go into detail, I'd like to know more about you and your experiences.
    -Not a game question, but I played on the Great Lakes shard and was part of a guild called Keepers of Maddox [K^M]. Are there any old members who happen to be on this shard?

Thanks for reading and answering my questions. Nice to meet you all.
  2. Skaught

Skaught Member

3. Mr. Green

Mr. Green Well-Known Member

Welcome! It’s nice to see another player on my level (extremely busy IRL.) There are many grown adults here with far too much free time to put into this game... LOL. But that’s just my jealousy speaking.

I can’t speak on PvP but...

To repair your gear you can buy repair contracts that look like brown scrolls, from player vendors. You must take the scroll to an NPC blacksmith shop to use (dbl-click, target gear.)

Note: leather armor and wooden weapons/shields cannot be repaired. Only metal gear.
  4. Surfrats

Surfrats Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

1. Repair deeds, as green said.
    2. Dont rebuild. Having a solid PVM template will help with keeping your other chars geared up. You can have 3 accounts of 5 chars each, so just get another one or two macroing AFK and you can build whatever you like.
    3. See Skaught's post about the resist event.
    4. PVM and PVP preferences are going to be different for everyone. Play what you enjoy.
  5. Riyne

Riyne Active Member

welcome. like surfrats said, with 15 char slots, most people have a wide range of characters, some that can do a wide range of things, some that are for very specific uses. Once you get a bard dex or mage, you can make some cash pretty quick and other chars can be trained up without worrying about the money
  6. Merlin

Merlin Active Member

LOL. There's probably lots of us who consider themselves "extremely busy IRL" but...who cares? Some have an hour a week to play, others have 16 hours a day to play. Yay for both groups!
  7. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Welcome :) Most of us are older with families / kids so we know what you're talking about.

My advice would be to utilize the young program to the fullest. And see my provocation guide below in my signature. Having GM provoke really opens things up for money making.
  8. Leopold

Leopold Well-Known Member

Welcome! It looks like I went through some of the same stuff you are when I started. http://uorforum.com/threads/please-...ce-2000-some-advice-on-getting-started.25541/

I wasn't sure I wanted to play here because of my limited time. If they had the same BS that OSI had (no AFK macroing, 8x8 required for skill gain, etc.) I would never have wanted to play UO again. But after the players here explained to me how skill gains work (resist parties, AFK is allowed, the young program, all the excellent guides on how to build skills) and a couple of players gave me some starting money, I do not regret at all joining. I am actually having more fun than I did back in the OSI days, but there are of course some aspects of the game back then than I miss.

If you have a lot going on just make sure you are getting important real life stuff done before you play. Many of us are in the same situation and so guilds understand that. They don't typically require you to play a certain amount. If they do, find another guild =). And as the shard owner has said before, it's not a race. You don't need 15 7x GM characters before your 6-month anniversary comes up.
    Jill Stihl and Mr. Green like this.
  9. Darken

Darken New Member

10. Mr. Mahony

Mr. Mahony Active Member

I played Great Lakes back on OSI. I was never part of any large guilds, spent alot of time flipping stuff, and selling shit at Ultima's vendor house. Spent most my time in delucia/t2a. Never gm'd taming or magery...

Mongbat King- most played
    Big man iron arms
    Rambling man

I wouldn't bother about changing your character into pvp... just roll a new one.

I've always enjoyed the merchant aspect of the game but that's mainly I've always had poor internet to PvP. I found PvP was fun for me in groups since it helped my gimp internet.

You can buy blacksmith repair deeds to repair metal gears from vendors in ocollo and other places.

The young program here is great for gaining skills and money. I followed the young program taming guide got lucky found some quest animals ( a couple as I gathered my scorpion army) had guyumon spawn a couple times and left it with about 200k gold.

I've ran into several Project Sanctuary members and they have always been helpful with information or in game help, i would suggest them for a guild.