New Spell??

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Evil Dead, Jan 19, 2017.

1. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Dalavar and Evil Dead like this.
  2. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

I wouldn't add anything. Start doing that and you create a different game. But I have mused it would be interesting to summon an undead dragon.
    Antos and Evil Dead like this.
  3. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

Phase prism - targeted person/mob switches places with caster. Spell range is same, 7th circle spell, can only be cast once every 2 minutes on same target.

So if I'm standing 8 tiles away, or 1 tile away from my target, when I select them, our places are switched instantly. This would not work however with people on boats or in houses.

Also, if the target has magic reflect up when targeted, the caster is charged with the cost of mana, and is also stunned in place for 4 seconds.
    One likes this.
  4. Riyne

Riyne Active Member

I liked pain spike. Was a necro spell that did disproportionately high damage with respect to its time to cast/mana cost/ability needed, but then became pretty useless to cast on the same target for I forget how long.
    Mandevu likes this.
  5. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Cool topic!

I recall there was a spell called Bird's Eye that was intended to be a level 1 spell and I guess give you a higher-level view of the world. These days we have maps on websites but I still think this would be cool, particularly if it showed mobiles.
    One likes this.
  6. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Dalavar and One like this.
  7. Rickbrent

Rickbrent Active Member

What about a spell called "clone".

You could either clone yourself or target anyone else, and you would take the name and form of you or the other person. Could be useful for a variety of purposes.

edit - take away the "self" options after thinking about it. That would make it to where there was another entity that had to be created, which would be a coding nightmare. But, the cloning of others would be cool...you keep your stats, but get their name and outfit, hair, etc.
  8. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

I believe it was also temporary damage too wasn't it? So if you used it too early the damage it did would go away and they would regain that health. I may be mistaken...
  9. Riyne

Riyne Active Member

It was never used early, I don't remember why, but this may well have been the reason, makes sense
  10. Antos

Antos Well-Known Member

I fully agree with this! The addition of new spells and spell-like abilities represent one of the worst additions EA made to the game. In fact, I have to wonder why this discussion even came up in the Era Discussion forum since adding new spells would be entirely contrary to the Renaissance era.

HOWEVER,

Re-vamping existing spells is a great idea and one I would fully support. Polymorph, Summon Creature, Incognito, Telekinesis and even Magic Trap/Untrap could use a complete overhaul.

Polymorph should also have more options beyond those currently granted. The more advanced the creature, the greater the difficulty/fizzle rate.

I love the idea of choosing which creature the caster could summon for the very reason stated here. Duration should scale according to skill in order to make a summoned horse last longer for higher level mages.

Incognito should last much, much longer. Perhaps until Dispelled? Also, the caster should have the option of choosing his or her new appearance and even gender. It should also toggle off your guild title. This would make it more useful for RP.

Telekinesis could be used to disarm opponents similar to the wrestling ability at higher magery levels. (70+)

I rarely use Magic Trap and Magic Untrap on this shard. Back in the old days, I used them occasionally to trap my reagent bag, but only if I was going into an are where PvP was almost certain to occur. Even the ability to trap your own inventory backpack would be a major improvement. Also, the damage should scale based on the caster's magery skill. That way, PKs could be in for a deadly surprise when opening a reg bag looted from a GM mage and snooping could become lethal as well!

While we are at it, Magic Lock should require a much higher lockpicking skill to unlock depending on the caster's skill. Unlock should be just a little bit more potent, too (Able to cancel Magic Lock but never equal to a GM lockpicking) Both of these should scale according to Magery, as well.

Sorry if I hijacked this thread, but these all seem to be viable ways of "perfecting" Renaissance era mechanics. Maybe this should be a new thread.
    Jaana and One like this.
  11. Too Old For This ...

Too Old For This ... Well-Known Member

don't forget mana vampire and mana drain
    Jaana likes this.
  12. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Seriously. Why have these spells never worked on any PRS ever? Does it have something to do with RunUO code or something?
    Jaana likes this.
  13. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023