New to Ultima Online? Start Here!

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Gideon Jura, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  2. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

There is a lot of very helpful info in this thread, I wish I had found it before starting!
    newme likes this.
  3. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Gideon. Not only is it helpful, but well thought out and your use of pictures great.

Also a giant thank you for taking the time to put this all together. :)

Marjo Governess of Wispfelt

Westra on IRC
    Gideon Jura and Kishember like this.
  4. musicano

musicano Member

I have to say, I started here recently, and even thought cotton requires no skill to harvest, and neither does cloth require any skill to make, I do not recommend tailoring to make money for a new player. Vendors I read at one point used to bolts of cloth here, but no longer do. So, you will have to sell clothes made with the tailoring skill. A 50 skill tailor can make plain and fancy shirts with an 100% chance, to gain from 50 make cloaks, but you will not have an 100% to make them.

When you sell clothes to a vendor they will only buy a limited amount of that specific piece of clothing (haven't tried other pieces though, but I'm guessing it's the same) and that is if someone hasn't been there already and they are no buying more. Britain is the best place to sell clothes to NPC vendors as there are 3 Tailor shops, but after that, being a new character and not having recall/gate you'll have to travel via public moongates to other cities to other tailors to sell clothes to (which I think is biggest pain of tailoring for a new player) or wait for the NPC vendor to start buying clothes again.

Wouldn't a better alternative be making 2 characters on two different accounts, one a miner/tinkerer and one a lumberjack? The miner/tinkers can make new axes for lumberjack, who can sell boards at 3gp each. In about 3 or 4 hours the lumberjack with have 30k in boards, which he can put on a commodity deed and sell to another player for 90k in gold, if finding a buyer isn't a problem.
    Draccus likes this.
  5. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

If you're selling to a vendor try saying 'vendor buy' when they quit buying from you. At least at one time this was necessary to reset their inventory timer and if it still works this way should get you back to selling quicker (if not right then.)
  6. musicano

musicano Member

I actually found out they WILL buy a different clothing item after they stop buying another. And, you're right it does work saying vendor buy to reset it.

Anyway selling boards still seems better, and less time consuming.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  7. Mystery

Mystery New Member

After a long long break from UO I found this shard and enjoyed my journey here a lot so far.

This guide was one of the best things I've found to get me going again. You've clearly put in a ton of work into this and I really appreciate it.

In my efforts to kind of recreate my first UO character, I accepted the Steel Embrace - The Warrior's Path quest and tried to at least challenge me a little bit. I'm fully aware that my Young status is still making things a ton easier for me, but after a 10+ year break, I wanted to take things a bit slow.

I chose to go classic with Anatomy, Tactics, Resisting, Parrying, Swordsmanship, Healing, 50.1 Magery and the rest in Item ID.

In the guide you wrote: "With a bank full of gold, loot, and bandages and 80+ in your skills and stats, you should be the strongest warrior in Ocllo. Monsters should be fearful of your wrath - fleeing at the sight of your blade."
    So I really tried my best to at least kill everything on the island once. It took a while, but today I finally got the Blood Elemental down, the strongest enemy I was able to find (the demon and drake were also tough, as well as the executioner, the harpy "boss" and the searing/blazing gargoyles). There were a few close calls, even without the added challenge of poison. I'll return as a non-Young for sure to do a proper kill, but I'll need more macros and a slayer weapon can't hurt either. Especially the last 20% took a while because I could barely out-damage the healing. On a previous attempt, with worse gear and skills, it healed back to ~60%+ and I just gave up ;)

Just wanted to say thanks for this great and motivating guide and share my completion of the Warrior's Path quest. I'm sure killing a blood elemental isn't a big deal, especially with the young player benefits, but to me in the pre-AoS days it always was scary as hell (probably also had to do something with me being a lot younger back then) ;)

be.png
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    GetZ Payd, Gideon Jura and Ahirman like this.
  8. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  9. Sapharious

Sapharious Active Member

First off, excellent guide!

now my 2c

Tools wear out too soon.. if you are using 1 point to get a newby item that stays on corpse after death there is only one choice... SCISSORS! Take 1 in tailor (or healing.. maybe anatomy).
  10. TexasRattler

TexasRattler New Member

Could someone let me in the bard house please lol