Newish Build: The Elementalist

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Blendax, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Chadarius

Chadarius Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Thanks for the post. It seems like this could be a good treasure map hunting build to clean up spawn too?
  2. FisuUO:R

FisuUO:R Well-Known Member

Nice man! Its a fun build indeed. Most of times people may find that its easier to use a normal provo build, but I think this adds another color to it AND opens up some situations where you can solo some monsters that otherwise would be completely impossible.

Hit me up in discord anytime and we join forces :)
    Kiryana and Blendax like this.
  3. Pulse

Pulse Active Member

It could for 4's, 5's and 6's...maybe. drop eval/med for cart/lockpick.

Since many maps are in similar regions you could map a few nearby nodes...dig up 2 eles and provoke them on to each other near the map spot before digging it up. Dig up, provo away. With gm mining being on the single tile to dig up the treasure is no longer necessary either. The downside is that elementals are very susceptible to poison so you need to watch out for dread spiders, poison eles, and the ancient and shadow wyrms.

But, unlike pets, the mobs will not swarm the elementals, they must be provoked which leaves the control in your hands. so you provoke the eles onto the non poisonous spawned creatures (balrons/bloods,lich lords,titans,etc) first, and then the poisons ones on to each other or the other spawn. This could reduce the number of slayer instruments needed but probably not alleviate the need for them.

So yes, I think it would be viable and having lockpicking would be nice to hit the dungeon chests while waiting for stuff to die for a little extra loot.

It would be slower though as prep time digging eles and then slower kill speed vs a tamer but would allow for complete soloing those higher maps rather than dual clienting.
    Kiryana likes this.
  4. Blendax

Blendax Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

That sounds like a great idea!

Excellent writeup and screen shots! I've been considering starting a second elementalist with discord. I currently just run around with an alt if I feel like using discord, but the thing I like about this build is that it's very lightweight (Ie .. no need to gate out pets).
  5. Blendax

While elf hunting, I stumbled across a Purveyor. It was the first chance I've had to run my Elementalist up against it. Piece of cake! Took 2 provo attempts, but after that, it was smooth sailing.

I had to call in some tamer support though, i would have been there all day, with only a non-slayer war hammer.

upload_2021-1-4_8-56-10.png
  6. Xavant_BR

Xavant_BR Well-Known Member

i forgot how strong was this marble elementals till the day i found one you or any other left behind in fire island... at the same time it helped me to kill the mob, he burned my pets after a mistake i had in the hotkeys..
    Kiryana and Blendax like this.
  7. Pulse

Pulse Active Member

Just singing more praises of this build.

Many complaints on Discord about trouble provo mages have with the mage elves and the red reindeer. If verite+ ore is nearby, they are cake to the elementalist. Even the Battle Mage groups as seen here.

elementalistBattleMage.png

Dull copper nodes (Shadow elementals) would do in a pinch...just have to keep summoning BS/EV to get the damage in.

I played this event season almost exclusively on Scarlet. A couple days in to the event, I dropped Eval for Tracking and started buying up EV scrolls to speed the process. All in all a very profitable build this season (~600k in sold found slayers, 35 scrolls, 160 HC, 20 plat, Ice Golem statue, and somewhere around 1 million in straight gold/gem sales) Roughly 200 non slayer Force+ weapons too though not much value here.

At first I tried tracking on a separate toon but since I have been playing on a laptop, switching views constantly got old quick. Also, occasionally I would gate in my tamer for an elf mage or red reindeer when I didn't have marked nodes nearby, primarily in T2A since I don't have the ore marked there yet and none of those yielded a scroll drop :( I really think I did this less than 10 times though as it wasn't necessary often.

Anyway, still enjoying the build though she will soon be taking a back seat as I try to run these scrolls. I don't think the damage output is high enough to actually finish the scrolls in time with her and limits on followers if you want to get the Ironman trophy.

Current build:
    GM Mining
    98+ tracking
    GM Magery
    GM Med
    GM Music
    GM Provo
    GM DIsco

100 str, 25 dex, 100 int
    Kiryana, Blendax and FisuUO:R like this.
  8. Blendax

That's awesome. I did a little with my Elementalist this season, but I didn't run into to many battle mages to test it out on. I probably should've just solo'd with mine!

The nice thing about my build:

Anatomy 100
    Provocation 100
    Magery 100
    Musicianship 100
    Macing 100
    Mining 100
    Tactics 80
    Meditation 20

Is that even with a shadow elemental, I can get the damage in. Since overland is scattered with iron nodes, as long as I have a prospector tool on me, I'm good.
    Kiryana and Pulse like this.
  9. Mino

Mino Active Member

Necromancy UO:R style, the Elemancer:D
    Kiryana likes this.
  10. von Stuben

von Stuben Well-Known Member

For anyone curious, I don't believe this works anymore - I have dug up both shadow / valorite / marble eles and they are absolutely destroyed by the later Oaks spawn.
  11. Pulse

Pulse Active Member

Did the oaks spawn target them automatically? If so then yeah, they would get destroyed there. Might get aggroed due to karma level and would not have provo based protection.
    Blendax likes this.
  12. von Stuben

That's a good point. I don't know if it was a mob that i provo'd or an aggressive karma attack that killed them.
  13. Blendax

Yeah, it must've that they weren't provo'd
  14. von Stuben

some of the mob's i have tried that don't work include:
    1. khaldun - tenticles - not provokable
    2. khaldun - zealot - not provokable
    3. khaldun - ancient litch - not provokable
    4. hythloth - succubus - the AOE seems to destroy the marble ele
    Pulse likes this.
  15. Pulse

Pulse Active Member

Hrm, I have tried the tentacles and zealots in Khaldun with the same result. I have also done the succubi room in hythloth with just a single val or marble elemental and did not notice it taking any extra damage though. May have to try there again and will pay closer attention. May have had to do with the pacing as there was only 1 succubus in there at a time so the ele was always provoked against it.

I have used them for both the Thanksgiving and Christmas event mobs, balrons, succubus, lich and lich lords, daemons, gargoyles, ophid shaman, justicars,matriarchs,

I will try a few other areas once my dexer elementalist is ready. I want to explore the poison immunity of the shadow elemental a bit more. Right now I dont use them because I need the reflect of val/marble eles for extra damage as a provo mage elementalist.

Glad to hear there are more people giving this idea a try. It is still a niche build but fits the niche quite well :)
    Blendax likes this.
  16. Blendax

Shadow Ele's poison immunity won't help, I don't think. I tried one against a shadow wyrm, and it last maybe 2 minutes.

Yeah, Elementalists become provo/mage or provo/dexxers vs anything that hasAoE or can poison
    Pulse likes this.
  17. von Stuben

I can confirm that shadow eles work against shadow wyrms. They also work against the ancient wyrm / that blue ancient wyrm boss. Basically everything in destard except the Monarch.
    Val / marble do not.
    So far, my favorite is mining up two marble eles and proving them onto Lich Lords. Two take down a LL in the exact same time it takes another to spawn - and you have to stay on your toes.
    Have either of you or anyone else done a mining study of the dungeons / overland ore nodes?
    I have noticed that I often come across the “this has already been prospected” message.
    Pulse likes this.
  18. Pulse

Pulse Active Member

I just have the mountain nodes from the geological survey and then a couple of extra nodes I marked myself. A couple of runes to a couple nodes in dungeons but not marked on the map.

I want to add a lot more markers to my map but haven't done so yet.

I am looking forward to trying my hand at shadow wyrms :)
    Blendax likes this.
  19. Blendax

I didn't know that! I only tried marble. Good to know!

Yeah, I ran around and mapped some nodes. . but nothing comprehensive.
    Pulse likes this.
  20. von Stuben

the geological survey is just a CSV file - i have been marking my own nodes in there, but again, nothing comprehensive.