No Monster Respawn

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Zagyg, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Here is a picture of most of the area I'm referrring to:

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/ ... sters2.jpg

Almost the entire area inside the red line, including the rest to the south and some to the east/northeast that wouldn't fit in the picture, does not respawn monsters. After server launch the entire area was reasonably well stocked - I wouldn't have said there were too many or too few monsters there. But all the beige (desert) areas that have been hunted have not respawned monsters in days and almost the entire place is abandoned. Almost because, oddly enough, the green (swamp) areas in the center south on that picture do respawn - and very quickly at that.
  2. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

I checked the spawner, and the entire region that you've listed here. The spawner is not broken & actually has all of its units spawned. What seems to have happened here, is that somebody extensively farmed this location, to the extent that they farmed the bottom half of the Desert long enough to cause majority of the units for this region to be respawned in the northern sections, while only farming from the bottom half. The critters in the mountain/lava areas are specific to those locations, so they always respawn relatively close in that vicinity, however the desert-oriented creatures will range throughout the entire desert and what you describe here can happen under these circumstances.

There is currently work in progress to adjust the way the spawners calculate where the next unit will spawn, however the reason this work is in progress is not related to oddities such as this. I hope this explains the situation you've describe here, I tried to be as detailed as possible while making it (hopefully) easy to understand.
  3. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

Thanks Ezekiel for taking the time to look into it, respond, and explain in layman's terms what happened. At that basic level I do understand what you're saying. Sounds like until the spawners are changed those *ahem* mysterious unnamed over-farming rogues can self-regulate the issue by branching out a little. :D
  4. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

When spawning the world we took great care in utilizing as few spawners as possible in order to maintain server performance. And until players start wandering the world we cannot really get a feel for the migration and distribution of the spawn.

So posting issues like this helps us track down the issues, and possibly break 1 large spawner into multiple smaller ones.

As a point of reference I have reviewed several other free shards that are publicly available, and you would be surprised at how many spawners they have. On one server I actually found 27 individual spawners at the west britian bank. 3 of which were for individual rats.
  5. Zagyg

Zagyg Active Member

I'm glad it's helpful! Will continue to post related discoveries then.

Lol... I don't care who you are, that's funny right there :)