Noob Questions

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Dagonmar, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Dagonmar

Dagonmar New Member

Hi All,

I've been playing for about a week now and I'm really digging this shard. I've been away from UO for a loooooong time so my memory is super fuzzy on a lot of things and I'm not sure about how some things work on this particular shard, so I figured I'd ask.

So far my main characters are gatherers/crafters to get some initial gold to fund magery training and whatnot on other characters. I have a miner with a pack horse and I'm unclear on the pet mechanics.
    1. I fed the thing for a while and it became "bonded." What does that mean?
    2. I read an old post on these forums that said you needed to feed items to your pets one at a time to increase happiness, because feeding a stack still counted as one item? That was several years ago, so I'm not sure if this is still true.
    3. How will I know if I'm feeding the horse enough? If I don't feed it for a while will I get any cues that it needs to be fed again?
    Also, some questions about trade...
    1. Are checks and filled commodity deeds blessed or do I need to worry about thieves when trading stuff?
    2. What's the best way to find out how much iron ingots are selling for these days other than skimming through posts over in the trade forum?
    Thanks for being patient with me lol. I love this community so far, and everyone is really nice in game. I'm excited to get established here!
    Kiryana, Halabinder and Lord Krake like this.
  2. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

Heya Dagonmar, and welcome!

To answer your first set of questions:

1. Bonded means that if the animal dies, its ghost will stay with you and you can have it resurrected by someone with high enough vet skill, or you can have an NPC stablemaster resurrect it by saying "heal".

2. Not sure, never really needed to feed my horses more than once, which was just to bond them after I had them long enough. There is no real benefit to stuffing your horse full of apples though, because of the answer for number 3...

3. There is a trick to increase your pets happiness easily and for free without needing to feed it. Just tell it to guard you a few times repeatedly. Saying All Guard Me will give your pet a command that it simply cannot fail to do. Normally pets who fail a command will lose a few loyalty points, and whenever a command is successful they will gain a loyalty point, so if the pet can never fail the guard command, you get free loyalty points. Just say it every so often and your pet will never be unhappy with you.

For the second set of questions:

1. Checks are fine, nobody can steal those from you as long as they are in the top pack of your bag (not in a sub-container). Commodity deeds I am not 100% sure about though... maybe someone else can answer that.

2. Iron ingots are sold at a pretty flat rate based on what you can mass purchase from an NPC (so the NPC price sets the price of iron ingots). You can buy/sell them typically for 8-9 gold apiece (you can buy ingots at 9 apiece usually, 8 if you are a member of the Miner's Guild).
    Kiryana, Halabinder and Dagonmar like this.
  3. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Alex is right : Checks are perfectly safe in your main backpack ( do not store them into a container inside you backpack as the container can be stolen)

Commodity deeds can be stolen.

Hope you have fun and watch your back!
    Bayara and PaddyOBrien like this.