NPC Arrow Prices

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by DarkWing, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Dragkiris

Dragkiris New Member

if there is a demand I will sell them :)
  2. Marvaless

Marvaless New Member

I understand your concern for arrow prices!! I wouldn't mind seeing them lowered!! But why is there exclamation marks after everything you say?!!
  3. Dragkiris

Dragkiris New Member

i got a few thousand i"ll sell if anyone wantst hem. just pm me or look for dragkos in irc
  4. Double Vision

Double Vision New Member

Besides the obvious of course arrows are gonna be higher because they are in demand... thought that was common sense. I'd rather pay the 8gp per arrow then go farm them, I don't understand why you would make a thread complaining about arrow prices lol, obviously no one else cares they are 8gp other then you. You want the whole market to change because you don't wanna pay the going rate? lol gtfo.. go farm them on ratmen ya cheap ass.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Double vision, if you want to devolve into trash talk, take it up in a thread in that forum. This is the place for logical or opinionated discussion of the topic at hand.

The point about 'who starts with an archer' is bullshit. This is UO. You can start with almost any of the active skills and make money at it, if the resources required are affordable within the range of ability in the early stages.

8gp per arrow is entirely prohibitive to fair or balanced skill gain for an archer, or even worse, an archer mage!
    Just because you built a bard at little to no cost, to fund the 'training' of all your other characters, doesn't mean everyone has to or should.

The cost of arrows and bows that wear out and cannot be repaired is currently incomparable (read: out of balance) in relation to swords, maces, fencing or even pure magery. Early on, at the low levels of magery, you're not casting FlameStrikes in the field.
    Fireball is 3gp per cast, right? Lightning is like 5?

If there are to be arrows as expensive as a Flame Strike, then make them hit %90 of the time at GM or let us POISON them!

One should be able to develop their character completely in the field making a modest living USING the skills they've chosen, in nearly all active skill cases.
  6. Zailm

Zailm New Member

i dont even play this shard yet. but i watch the forum since beta.

and since then im seeing this dancing tupac disagreeing with complains ppl have about the shard.

its ok that you love the shard, etc..but these ppl post their oppinions on these forums to help..

why dont you make an "i love this shard" thread or something and let the big guys talk ?

just the 2 cents from a spectator
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I will defend that HateCrime has done much in these forums and contributed well to the shard.
    However, his childish banter and trash talk does not belong in a civil discussion thread.

Which leads me to conclude that he is in fact, "not very good at UO".

HC, please stop being a dick in civil discussion threads. You're a moderator on some of these forums. Show some maturity please.
  8. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Lower arrow prices
    /ktnx

Also, poison arrows? Hail yeah!

Seriously though, on another server I built a stealth archer with gm magery just by raising skills at nujel'm and jhelom and buying arrows with the loot proceeds.

There is no way for an archer type player to get started with archery and hope to make it out alive let alone rise to prominence. I love archery but for the sake of efficiency I raised swords and magery first and made a bard on my alt account for money. What if someone just wants to casually play an archer? They simply can't at 8gp an arrow.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

This is entirely the point. Just because MOST people or A LOT are hardened UO vets who don't want the fun of the field in their infancy anymore doesn't mean they don't exist.
    Ultima is about that variety, that ability, to just pick something up and go do work with it.

With this price hike, Archery has turned into an expensive hobby, not a viable skill for a ranger (As it should be).
  10. Mikanele

Mikanele New Member

They have made it clear that they prefer increased npc prices to encourage player interaction which can be a good thing. Maybe 4-5gp for vendors and players would probaly sell for 3-4gp?
  11. Gharik

Gharik Active Member

Fireball takes a Black Pearl, costing 5 gp to cast. Lightning takes Mandrake Root and Sulfurous Ash, costing 6 gp to cast. However, when the mage's guild finally kicks in, Pearl will only cost 4 gp.

Now, don't bite my head off... I'm about to give my opinion and play a little devil's advocate.

They've raised vendor prices to try and force player interaction. Is 8gp per arrow a bit much? Certainly. I'd probably push to have it lowered to 6 (Still fairly high, but not world ending). I also understand that very few people are selling arrows at the moment, but the same can be said for ships. As far as I've seen, only three people are capable of even making those, and only one chooses to sell them. (I'm not complaining, I've been on of the strongest supporters of the way ships are made here. I'm just stating fact.) We are still pretty fresh out of beta. People are still coming into their own. When the dust settles, there will be a more diverse culture and the market will even out as people choose to sell what people need.

Ratman archers drop 55-65 arrows, 300-350 gold, and 6 spined leather? Maybe 8, I can't remember. They're pretty profitable on their own, and don't hit hard at all. I think if a new player wanted to start as an archer, they'd be a very viable creature to hunt. Save enough hides and another player would make a suit for them in a heartbeat. Most people have GM tailors here as it is.

And as for HC, he's just a very passionate person here. Doesn't always voice his opinion in the best way, but he's done a lot for this shard and will continue to do much for the growth. He just gets a bit irritable when people ask to make things easier.
  12. Vandyke

Vandyke New Member

I would agree that 6gp Arrows on NPC's would still leave players enough room to profit if they want to spend the time crafting arrows to sell.
    As it is, with no-one or not many players crafting arrows to market, the whole pushing player interaction with the hi vendor price of arrows, isn't really doing that. (Unless you count this thread)
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hope HC doesn't take my commentary personally, I was just dishing it out in a manner more akin to how he dishes it himself. He knows I appreciate him here and all he's doing for the shard as well.

Agreed 6gp is much more reasonable than 8. I haven't wandered enough but where is another location for ratman archers other than Ice Dungeon? Perhaps one that doesn't have them backed up by the ratman mages that literally merk the hell out anyone with sub-80 Resist.
    I guess I should check Rat Valley, and the high volume arrow drops on those guys is a VERY valid point.

I have arrows in stock on the A^T Villa for 800gp per 100 ct.

I'm definitely not saying that NO increase is the only way to go, but 4x pricing is seriously crippling to the real archers out there (Me, WiseOne and DarkWing, in the least).
    I'm fairly certain we're not alone, but we will be if new players want to play that way and feel the sticker shock of it costing 300gp to kill a mob.

:)
  14. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

I too was unaware of the large arrow drops. However, those guys need to be easy enough to find and kill with a basic character otherwise new players just won't be able to cut it. I support whatever means actually get the trade between players going but there need to be more players able to provide arrows before the price hike. Maybe lower them for now until there is a bigger player base then raising it to 8 will get people on the arrow making wagon and player interaction would likely increase.
  15. Gharik

Gharik Active Member

My only concern is if you lower then raise it back up, you'll still have a ton of complaints. For now, there's a rather large spawn of rats by the Orc Cave on UOAM. It's marked and labeled as such in the Dungeon Runebooks I sell on my vendor. If you cannot afford it, and just want the one rune, let me know. I'll try and spread a few of the runes around to help out for now. Rat mages spawn too, but they can be easily separated since it's such an open area. Once I'm done with carpentry I'll start fletching. Maybe I'll have my newbie father farm harpies for feathers to try and help people out in the beginning. Give me a few days and I'll start stocking up on arrows... I'll sell them for 4gp a piece (as long as that isn't stepping on someone else's trade)
  16. Vandyke

Vandyke New Member

For newbies who want to make some money, All those tiny annoying little birds flitting around MG on the island are worth 25 feathers a pop (eagles 35 or more I think) Work your low level melee skills and sell those feathers to those who need em.
  17. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

NO WAI RLY
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

YA RLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  19. Robbbb

Robbbb Member

Same discussion 10 years ago! LOL

Jan 2002:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec....d0304f?lnk=gst&q=arrow price#5038912be8d0304f
  20. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Went to rat valley with this guy

Can barely handle rat mages one on one, they hit hard, fast and seem to have unlimited mana.

I managed to get by but there is no way a new character will survive there unless they are barding (which supports the argument that an archer can't get by on his own.)

I agree with Gharik that the cost shouldn't go up and down based on our moaning and groaning, for any item not just arrows.

I do think 8gm is too much regardless so maybe lower it once to 6gp and people can still sell their own at 4-5 and even 6 if its in bulk convenience.