Ocllo New Player Housing - Under New Management

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by LanDarr, Dec 15, 2018.

1. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Ok, so I became the custodian of Rezon's New Player Housing... No promises were asked and none given as to what to do with them or how to run them...

What to do with it from here... I would like the playerbases ideas...

1. Continue as is
    2. Repurpose one house as yet another provo option
    3. Tear them down and have the land marked as unplaceable
    4. Cash Out Babay YEAH !
    5. "insert idea here"
    Mykos and SteelyDan like this.
  2. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

1 seems most appropriate. Over the years they have helped new players get established and familar with home ownership on UOR.
  3. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Auction them all individually with a 1GP SB.
  4. Animal Control

Animal Control Well-Known Member

Empty them of all items and keep refreshed until the end of time
    Hoominaga likes this.
  5. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I like option 1 as long as they are still in at least semi-regular use. Keeping something there and new player oriented would be nice.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  6. LanDarr

Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

its been done before...
  7. LanDarr

Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Yeah the idea is regular USE, Rezon seemed to have good participation and turn over... its meant to be a temporary solution until they are ready to come to the "real" UOR

As long as participation is good, Option 1 is the plan so far... If participation drops off, who knows, may just unlock to doors and deco them as scenery
  8. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

9. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  10. Earsnot

I'm not posting this to potentially de rail anything, but I will voice a probably unpopular opinion.

Ocllo is every new players first experience with our server and I am of the opinion that every house with a locked door that's void of a discernible feature or benefit to a new player is a massively missed and wasted opportunity.

I am incredibly pleased that @Kash 's recently auctioned spot is going to Mykos of H*O and super hopeful that this is the start of a resurgence of a guild that has done amazing things for the new player community.

@BlackEye 's new addition of the public boarding house is another extremely dope addition to Ocllo and I wish more people would utilise the opportunities to do something cool with their Ocllo homes.

Wylwrk says it all the time, but we really are responsible for the content we create here and every locked door on that island is a crying shame.

There are active vets here who could do some cool shit, a scribes house that takes donations of scrolls and helps newer players create their own full spell book in exchange for scavenged regs, a papa johns pizza, an alchemy school, an assassins HQ for those that "wish to practice the dark arts" a fish bait and tackle shop. All these spots could be sooooo utilised to help newer players learn and find out what they want to do in this game and create a fucking awesome landscape of different activities.

Shit man why is there no crazy cat lady of Ocllo? Taming cats and shouting at locals to get off her lawn?

I could go on....

My point is, please use Occlo homes.

If you don't you're part of the problem.
  11. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member

I think option 1 is always worthwhile, even if we have dips in activity here and there. There is no shortage of 'deco for the sake of deco' housing on UOR and the new player housing is pretty much a staple on UOR. I mean, if they are being used a little less than usual that still brings more benefit than most other types of player housing. Any time something like a tavern or other kind of project is started up it is usually dead within a month, so I'm not sure I want to see these houses enter that sort of cycle that lacks any traction. So I guess I have contradicted my original post! I think these should remain new player-centric regardless of immediate rates of usage. Once they change, I'm not sure the original spirit of them will be restored.

I agree with Earsnot however we all know it takes frequent and ongoing player engagement to keep any good idea sustainable, and that is always challenging.

So I'll alter my vote by still voting for option 1 but with the stipulation that any changes should retain real benefits to new players.
    Earsnot likes this.
  12. NCCML

NCCML Well-Known Member

Continue with new player housing. It's part of the spirit of the shard.
  13. Alvien

Alvien Well-Known Member

Does Ocllo have an open lockpicking training home? - Disregard, read contents in original thread
  14. bwillb

bwillb Active Member

I think temporary housing is probably the best usage. Hell, maybe even charge rent, say 1000g a day. Easily attainable on Ocllo (especially for a Young), but also provides incentive to move out, be independent, and own your own house somewhere. Then maybe pool that money and use it for low-end contest prizes, raffles, etc.
  15. DaBucs

DaBucs Well-Known Member

I like the idea of a spelllbook shop, or as @Earsnot said a scribe shop. When i first started I could not build up my spellbook because there was not a vendor selling individual scrolls that i could find.

I think @Hydrox was planning something like that on the west side of ocllo, but haven't checked to see if he implemented this

if not, I have a proposal for you @LanDarr . If you want to designate one building for this service, I will volunteer my services to stock up the scrolls. Any and all profits after vendor expenses will be donated to the resist events. I'll take nothing from it other than the pleasure of providing another service to the community.
    Any losses will get deducted from my donation fund (i dedicate 10% of my vendors profits to donate) to keep the shop running :D

and those that know me already know I'm anal about keeping my vendors stocked :)
    LanDarr and SteelyDan like this.
  16. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

There were seven active new players on the new player island last night. We had fun.

They survived without housing.

Big ups to the playa straight bare-hand pimp slapping harpies in the sewers.
    Jupiter likes this.
  17. Earsnot

@LanDarr why not give @wylwrk a house.

Name one other person who has individually done more for new players than him.

That gnome is out there 24/7 ferrying around new players and interacting with them if he's attended.

And he pays for all those gates with scavenged gems and his own dollar.

Plus I for one would love to see a gnome house.
    Jupiter and DaBucs like this.
  18. LanDarr

Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

I like this idea, I put out a scroll vendor like this at vesper castle.. got no traction, but Ocllo would be different I think.... Thing is, there are a couple of shops on the island already and ReZon has a new player shop, Might be good to put it there, it would draw in customers and help out the other vendors there.

FYI.. Wylwrk knows my IRC, if he wants to run a Gnome House... would be interested in seeing how that would look
    wylwrk likes this.
  19. SteelyDan

SteelyDan Well-Known Member

Since its common knowledge I believe Hydrox is undertaking the job of making a scroll vendor in Ocllo. If you want to help setup a temp one I am in control of Azoth's Tribute Small tower close to town, It has a alchemy lab on top. It could use a double purpose. I'm also up for any other ideas you may have for it.

This is a great topic and should stay on course. Great ideas to help our server population can spawn from these type of threads.
  20. Earsnot

Get it! Get it!