Official Housing Mechanic Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Chris, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Russell

Russell Well-Known Member

you are literally lying through your teeth every house there has been there, seriously just stop. Also a patio is 15 tiles wide a tower is 16 and requires wing clearances. A patio does fit there, a tower does not.
  2. TrojanCow

TrojanCow Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

You had to know this was going to happen.

This spot has been open for many days.

emo.png
    Basoosh and BlackEye like this.
  3. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  4. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

In general I just think that the more liquid things are - tradeable, moving around the community, etc. - the better the community is suited towards a growing and constantly challenged playerbase. Like an efficient marketplace or whatever.

Basically, if you join this shard and see the Justice Tower and say "I want that!" and someone says "That's some guy's and he said he'd only sell it for 10M gold", I'd think "challenge accepted". But if you see it and someone says "that's some guy's, he's been refreshing it every week for the last year", I start looking for a different shard to settle in on.

Given that 90% of the people in this thread have houses they don't really use, which someone else on the shard could almost certainly do something better with, get more joy out of, etc., it's hard to really have an honest discussion about it.
    Baine, snap dragon, Ruck and 2 others like this.
  5. Russell

you drop one of your idoc empties to take that screenshot, still doesnt even prove a tower fits there.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Southside of the Fens of the Dead, just above a little outcropping of grassland, about center swamp, between a Patio and a Tower I believe it was. I don't feel like going to screenshot it for you.
  7. Nightwolf

Nightwolf Active Member

Sorry if this has already been suggested but perhaps keep the housing limit the way it is but disincentivize owning multiple houses. You could have it work in such a way that the decay timer decreases exponentially based on how many houses you own.

If I own 1 house, it will decay the regular 15 days.

If I own 3 houses, the first will decay the regular 15 days. However, the 2nd will decay in 14.50 days and the 3rd will decay in 13.75 days.

If I own 10 houses, the first will decay in 15 days. The 9th will decay in 3 days and the 10th will decay in 1 day, etc.....

(Example numbers, these might be too extreme)

This way it is introduces a level of difficulty for those whose business it is to control large amounts of real estate. As it is right now, they would just need to set a calendar reminder every 12 days and can refresh all the houses at once. In the example above, a person with 10 houses would have to refresh at least every day.

The downside is this could be confusing to those that are used to the normal house decay system, but could be helped by having a warning dialog of some sort saying it's decay time when the house is placed.
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  8. Gideon Jura

El Horno and The Crooked Warden like this.
  9. Russell

I see now why you dont feel like taking a screenshot, its righgt in that crazy spot .... that doesnt exist.

Grats so there is currently one unplaced tower spot on the entire map and 200 players, lets get back to talking about the thread topic.
    You didnt shit on anything, you just became my bitches and proved my point for me.
  10. Gideon Jura

11. napo

napo Well-Known Member

People can say it's ridiculous and say that they don't know many hoarders all they want, but it seems like a fairly simple issue to me.
    When a large house drops, people swoop down and place smalls all over it so they can built it back up and sell it at a later date. It happens every time. As a former IDOC guy, I'm sure Telamon is also aware this is the case.
    I have no doubt that the new players who are complaining that there are no housing spots are telling the truth, I don't think it would be very easy at all to go out there and actually place a decent sized house on a decent spot.

Now whether it's a reasonable expectation for a player to be able to do that on a shard this old is something I think could be a reasonable point to debate.

I think it's a bit crazy that you can own 15 houses here, on OSI you could own one per account. I don't think a one house per account rule would be very effective though, as everybody who is in the know knows that tons of players around here regularly break the account holding/sharing rules and if you needed accounts to mule houses for you, many of you would easily be able to. Because of the ease with which some people seem to access more than three accounts, I don't think that a 1 house per account rule would be effective against house flippers.
    I also think such a change would only be bundled with grandfathering accounts along with it due to the outcry it would produce. Because of this, I don't think a one house per account rule would be effective against people who have been sitting on their houses for years.
    So basically, it's not a good rule because it would only actually set back new players who want to follow the rules - which is not the group we're looking to regulate here.

So it basically comes down to a song I've sung several times before - it's player behavior, players need to stop being assholes, and there's not too much telamon can do about it if they decide they don't want to.

Anyway, my UO interests revolve almost entirely around killing people, so housing isn't really an issue I care too much about. I'll leave you guys to figure it out, or more likely, make a couple more pages of people from the IDOC group saying that the IDOC group has nothing to do with it before everyone forgets the issue exists.
    Ruck likes this.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

A villa is a VERY decent sized house. Seriously livable for an entire UO career, if one had no aspirations for greater properties. I saw no fewer than 30 villa spaces in a run around the shard today. I found a tower spot I noted earlier, not far from town.
    BlackEye likes this.
  13. Russell

Guys I found 3 open fortress spots just now you wouldnt believe this!
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Delete all housing. Sell only villas. Problem solved.
  15. Tsarkon

Tsarkon Active Member

Seriously? I hate you so much.

I've been looking for a tower spot nearly every day for weeks and haven't found one.

You jerk. lol
  16. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

What's the matter. For a little above deed value anybody can buy a large tower. I won't even mention all the smaller houses that are available everywhere. Even now I know of several smaller house spots directly in range of moongates that are free.
  17. STAVROGIN

STAVROGIN Well-Known Member

sell or demolish your moongate small towers that only advertises your rune library then
  18. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

I think he already gave them away (to Jupiter?). Still, they havent been sold or repurposed yet.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  19. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

They are part of the rune library. If they go, the library goes.

In order to try to centralize a rune library on a shard with 40 rune libraries, you need a great location and you need great advertising so that new players continue to find it, hopefully early in their UOR lifetimes.
  20. Dyne

Dyne Well-Known Member

And it's the best stinking rune library on any server i've ever played on including OSI. I bought my own 1 million dollar set for myself and another for the guild house, and I still use this man's rune library. His advertising houses could be multiplied by 10 and they would still serve a great purpose!

Altho...where is that damn Wind rune in there dalavar? I have looked and looked for 6 months and still haven't ever found a rune to Wind. Oh, and the rares books are missing a few, I would be willing to donate those missing pieces if you wanted to add them.