Official Housing Mechanic Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Chris, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Erlkonig

Erlkonig Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

AI allowed you to purchase an NPC "House Watcher" which would be paid with gold. Along with maxed out house decay time the max was 90 days. But... AI had a different view on IDOCs as everything was deleted except for certain items (resources or weapons/armor, cant remember).
  2. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Hungry for indigestion and stupid teenagers getting your order wrong? :D

anyway, i vaguely remember the AI house decay thing but it seemed like nothing ever decayed... except when there was a shardwipe!
    Lightshade likes this.
  3. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

[02:51:04] <Blaise> you won't find a large house plot easily
    [02:51:05] <Random> &.&
    [02:51:25] <snap[cA]> I'm quoting that and posting it in that thread where you said "WHAT THERES LOTS OF HOUSE SPOTS I JUST PLACED 5 CASTLES TODAY"
    Baine and One like this.
  4. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

I have only 1 house and I'm perfectly content.

I would like to see 1 house per account to allow the realtor type to continue playing their game. Anything more is pure greed and demoralizes the newcomers.
    Player X, Creager, Ruck and 1 other person like this.
  5. T3h D4ve

T3h D4ve Well-Known Member

I think the penalties should be more weighed on the houses that sit vacant.
    The taxation idea I like, but I'm cheap so would prefer the numbers to drop by a 0 or two, however for the completely empty lots that sit unused and being refreshed to sit and gather more dust, those I'd be in favour of heavier taxation.
  6. Player X

Player X Well-Known Member

How would taxes based on usage be enforced though?

Number of items or containers? --- easy to circumvent with junk/cub
    How many players idle there? --- that would take away from active game play
    How many times the door opens? --- would only slow down the sign clickers

I think it would be nice but very unrealistic. So I agree with others. One house per account.
    Baine likes this.
  7. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Ruck, BlackEye and Baine like this.
  8. Emirikol

Emirikol Member

I have senn housing guides on web that actually have a outdated tag, where can i find updated info in order to place and secure my 1st home?
  9. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

10. Emirikol

Emirikol Member

Thank but as I said I have seen this web section but housing 101 and 102 have a OUTDATED tag, for this reason I'm asking if I can find there updated.
  11. El Horno

That information is still good. There is no updated yet as far as I know. If you have any questions regarding house security please ask here. Also there are plenty of helpful people who would legitimately go over a screen shot of your setup to confirm you are doing it correctly.
  12. blasfede

blasfede Active Member

Is this topic still alive? I found some very interesting considerations in
  13. Emirikol

Emirikol Member

Thanks, I'll do.

Locked items are secured in any spot?
  14. El Horno

Ya a locked down item is secure, but if its a container, the items within are not locked down.
  15. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

I skipped most of this thread as it's a lot of re-reading the same stuff over and over.

The problem as a new player that I've found is that there are a significant number of empty or little used houses (nothing in them except for a loom or a forge) in high value areas. I think forcing players to choose which houses are imperative to their play style is important...through limitation.

Does player A keep his joined tower/keep/tower combo at the x roads or his 3 small houses outside 3 different golem caves that sit vacant as his play style has changed?

I'd love to see some action done in this through limitation.
    Ruck likes this.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I have yet to see a long span of time where a keep or greater has not been listed on the forums. I just placed a Villa not too far from Yew last night.

People need to accept the housing rules are never going to change here and just get over it. One thing is pretty clear in the history of patches here, Telamon doesn't typically take away what he's given.
    BlackEye likes this.
  17. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'd vote for a house tax based on deed cost, escalating with # of properties per account (or possibly per IP). E.g first house per account is free, for each additional house, you get assessed +5% tax based on total deed cost of all properties.

This would probably force me to sell 1-2 houses, but it would be better for the server overall for multiple reasons.
    One likes this.
  18. Ducky

Ducky Well-Known Member

This topic continually gets talked about as if there is some kind of housing crisis. There is plenty of room for reasonable housing.

The proposed changes would be drastic, effect many long term players, and for no better reason then "I think" "I feel" "I want", not any real tangible reason.

Maybe the original limit should have been 1 house per account, but it wasn't. People have invested time and effort under these conditions, to forcefully take from them what they have earned would require a true crisis, a lot more then "but I want that prime house spot" or "that house is empty (as if anyone has the right to tell someone how to use their house)"
  19. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  20. Gavyn Lughna

Gavyn Lughna Member

My only problem with the housing in this shard is that it's clear that some people will have as many houses as they can, but never use them. While I was spot-hunting, the majority of the houses I ran into were empty, name-less, and even without a security set-up. I was looking around a certain area, but my point is, unless you've taken these spots to sell them to someone who wants them, why hog so much land that you'll never use? Then there's the thing of how people who want to sell a house way more than it's original worth, ( Something I see in most shards ) which seems more of a scam than an actual deal.
    One likes this.