Official Housing Mechanic Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Chris, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I think you underestimate how pulverized ownership is. The sad truthis that a lot are just being refreshed.
    One likes this.
  2. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  3. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Nobody needs a keep or fortress. It's an optional end game goal. The arguments here are so bad. If these changes were adopted you all would STILL be complaining I guarantee it. When downsizing to whatever limit you guys are suggesting, who in their right mind would lift their fortress or keep? Other then the idea of opening up T2a and green acres idea(I hope you were being facetious), there is no chance you will get to walk around with a fortress deed looking for a spot to plop it down. You will still have to pay a premium to buy a fortress or keep. New players will still join and a handful of them will just play the game and make it their goal and after some time and effort will achieve that goal. Others will not put in the effort or time and will come to the forums and to lobby for changes to the mechanics.
    I own one house, a small stone tower. Can we please stop insisting that everyone needs and deserves a fortress? That is not how UO works and part of the allure of UO has always been the fact that there is only so much space for houses, ergo it actually has a housing market with some spots being much more desirable then others. From my perspective, that is an awesome feature and the very IDEA of just opening up green acres and t2a to housing so everyone can have their deed cost fortress completely ruins that feature of the game. Not to mention it ROBS people of their long term goals.

5 hours of farming @ 50k an hour X 52 weeks= 13 mil = Enough to buy 2 large keeps
    5 hours of farming @ 50k an hour x ANOTHER 52 weeks = 26 mil= Enough to buy literally the most expensive (overpriced) fortress on the market

Did you not run the #'s or something because I don't understand how this is not perfectly attainable for anyone who puts in the time and effort. Also I was pretty conservative on the gold per hour. Anyone who wants a large keep could pull it off far quicker then 1 year.

You want a recipe for player retention? Give them long term goals. When a player runs out of goals, they quit.
  4. El Horno

Are you high? There is space all the hell over the place. You want mountains? We got mountain plots. You want ocean? We got ocean plots. You want near a moongate? We got moongate plots. You want near a town? We got near town plots. You want near a dungeon? Ya, we got near a dungeon spots.

I've said this before. When there is an actual housing crisis, I would be more then happy to consider changing the game. But if it's not broken, don't fix it.
    As of today, the fact is: There is an abundance of space for the number of players. I dare you to challenge me on that. I am always more then happy to hold your hand and go on a walk through Sosaria with a deed.
    BlackEye and Vandalin like this.
  5. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member

I'm still failing to understand how this is an issue. The last 4 or 5 towers sold on the trade forum were practically given away right at deed cost or a little more. If you want something bigger, work for it. It looks like some newer players have managed to get themselves some keeps recently, too. There is no crisis. I find this so comparable to the idoc thing. Go out and compete! The only good idea to come out of all these housing threads is condemned status.
    TrojanCow and Pirul like this.
  6. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

Last place I'll post this, since there are so many different discussions going on about pretty much the same topic:

Per Chris from a post in January 2016:

Ahirman, Vandalin and El Horno like this.
  7. One

One Well-Known Member

8. El Horno

That's your rebuttal? Well, you managed to get your hands on a large keep in less then 2 years farming like a newb, congrats. So we agree there is no problem then?
  9. One

One Well-Known Member

10. One

One Well-Known Member

11. El Horno

1. Sure. I used the word complaining to take a subtle dig at those who are advocating for changes which I disagree with. This was unnecessary for my argument.
    2. I am very opposed to new land opening up for massive houses. Limited housing space that is not instanced is (in my opinion) a fundamental part of what made/makes UO such a remarkable game. When I try to explain UO to co-workers, one of the main concepts of the game I explain is how cool it is that you get to own property, and that the spaces for houses are finite.
    3. If you agree that there is no housing crisis currently, then taking seriously new players complaints that there is a crisis doesn't make sense to me. You should be reminding the new players that there is no such crisis, and helping them understand this by pointing out ALL the open spaces. Indulging them in what you KNOW to be a non existent crisis does not seem like the right answer. This just makes them think there really is a housing crisis (which there isn't).
    I cannot predict the future and see no value in trying to get ahead of a housing crisis that may or may not occur. If it occurs, it can be handled then. Certainly the case for change would be a heck of a lot stronger if there was an actual housing crisis going on that people could point to.
    4. Your #'s are SO low, but even then you can manage to get a large keep. You go so far as to say that the housing situation right now is good. I honestly don't understand how you can look at a system that is admittedly working well and want to change it.
    As of today, new players can imagine themselves in a large keep or fortress. If they cannot, then they are lacking imagination. I don't feel the need to get into anecdotes, but there are plenty of new players who are moving up the ranks and getting keeps these days.
    5. Yes, this is a fundamental difference between our arguments. I do not believe in changing systems that work. If and when it starts to not work, by all means, throw out some ideas to fix it. But until then, the ideas don't fix anything because there is currently nothing to fix.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Fullmetal likes this.
  12. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

What the fuck is going on in here..
  13. El Horno

advocating. lots of advocating.
    One likes this.
  14. One

One Well-Known Member

15. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I agree with @El Horno, and that was my point exactly. What crisis? A new player can get a large tower in a matter of 3-6 months, and a keep in well <2 years. The real problem is new players coming in wanting to buy a fortress deed, and run around for an hour and place it on grass. That is NEVER going to happen in a mature shard like this one. A fortress sold last month for 8.5mill, and it was full of stuff!! That is by no means expensive!! So MY reference price for a fort is 8.5mill, not 20mill!!

Again, there is NOTHING to fix. IF there is a HUGE influx of players, we'll have other, more pressing problems to worry about (lag, item count, etc.). Housing will sort itself out.
  16. Milky Milkerson

Milky Milkerson Active Member

I don't understand why people think you should be able to buy an end game house at deed after being here a month or two? Back in OSI days you would work for a year to be able to afford a small brick.

Also, continually refreshing 15 houses to me seems like it would be a non-trivial tedium. That's tax enough!
    Ahirman likes this.
  17. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member

I bought a keep on Catskills back around 2008 and it was 15 mil. And that was on ice!
  18. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

So depressing...

So, if I apply similar ideals found in ths thread and the many others as of late and believed that this server should change to suit ME, you all will be perfectly fine if tomorrow morning ...

• no taming, animal lore, or vet skill
    • no mounts
    • NO houses
    • no guard zone
    • magery caps at 66.7
    • recall with scroll 100
    • parry applies + 60 AR
    • power scrolls
    • crystals... crystals everywhere
    • I lied, there are mounts... two shades: pink or purple
    I being new to the server and having tried out the current ruleset for a week, find it to be undesireable. This hurts my feelings.
    I now use my right to rally for and expect changes via several posts. When one of my posts fails, I'll start a new one.

Anyone that opposes me is crazy and an enemy of the state.

Trammel Is Coming
    Gzus and Hoominaga like this.
  19. Milky Milkerson

Milky Milkerson Active Member

Wylwrk this is preposterous ... why would we need purple horses if we already have pink ones?
    PaddyOBrien and wylwrk like this.
  20. Player X

Player X Well-Known Member

ONE PER ACCOUNT, PUSSIES.

*Mic drop*