OMG... Archery is absolutely terrible...

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Zim, Mar 16, 2016.

1. napo

napo Well-Known Member

If you have a perpetual case of dragon envy, yes, you should make a tamer. I don't understand why people seem to think this is some crazy proposition.
    If you want to shoot arrows, make an archer.

This is all very easy, I don't really know why people seem to have such trouble with these ideas.
    Steady Mobbin and BlackEye like this.
  2. Dun Scaith

Dun Scaith Well-Known Member

Ouch. I thought it was make three?

*... I have to stop reading these old threads.
    Cordelia Black likes this.
  3. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

Or learn how to shoot arrows and use an archer
    They HAVE always been a support char not a primary solo char
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Can you show me the documentation that supports your belief that it is a 'support' skill and not a primary weapon skill like every other combat skill?

Calling it a support skill because it's shitty in relation to the others, isn't the answer to finding a healthy balance.
  5. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

I think he is talking in a group setting. As the char leading the damage, archers are on the back end, DPS is way to low.....but you dont take damage and can shoot over fences so.....
  6. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

7. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

I think it's only fitting that the Green Arrow doesn't kill anyone with archery anymore...
  8. Cordelia Black

Cordelia Black Well-Known Member

anyone that wears spandex and calls himself green arrow should not be a thing period
  9. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

My archer in CTF once led in kills with 18. I hit up to 40+ using a runic bow. I added magery recently and now I can take on an axer, get them low on hits without getting hit once since ranged, then ebolt them for the kill.

My fisher uses archery and healing and since on a boat, I only get hit by magics. I have some magery just in case I need a quick cure but you could also use pots.

In my experience in UO, archery was never a main PvP skill unless it was later buffed on OSI after I left. I used it as a support char in group PvP and now in CTF. Other UO servers people have played may of had buffed archery.

Thus in my experience, archery has always been a support skill in PvP, not a solo fighting skill that is effective. However, crooks uses an archery/mage and is quite effective from what I understand, thus I've been testing it out. An archer/mage seems very viable. In addition, a battery of 3+ archers can be deadly in PvP.

I do think a special hit (critical hit), with +25-50% damage would be nice. One would need GM archery/tacts. Perhaps a 5-10% chance for the special hit.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    skratt and Cordelia Black like this.
  10. Cordelia Black

Cordelia Black Well-Known Member

well put, like a version of macings Crushing blow which might be easier to base it off than create something from scratch given chris's workload. Wether its balanced or not, i cannot judge for but your way of playing the archer with your runic bow sounds fun and effective.

What i will say is,i never played CTF and for me the main thing is that archery just doesnt feel as fun or competitive. You can tell me of people who pull it off great, but theyre doing that because theyre just phenomenal at the game and could beat your average joe with a club/begging dexxer and 60 healing.
  11. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

I like Armor Piercing - Ignores armor damage reduction

Whether archery was or was not a "support skill" shouldn't matter. This is history perfected, not history replicated. Make Archery Great Again
    Zyler and Cordelia Black like this.
  12. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

When I hear people say, "archery was always a support skill" ; what I hear is, "archery has always been broken".

Just let it hit comparable to a melee weapon from max to three tiles.... incure a huge -tohit penalty from 0-3 tiles.
    No melee defensive bonuses either. AKA you get in melee range with an archer you will hit them 9-10 times.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
    BlackEye, Cordelia Black and Zyler like this.
  13. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

I'm sold. Both great points.
  14. nilmer

nilmer Active Member

We just need Archery Runic weapons. You can't under power the skill, and ALSO offer only weaker weapons. then it gets silly.

please Add runics, or delete the skill so ppl don't waste their time
  15. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  16. nilmer

nilmer Active Member

that would be great

but ya the valentines bows are too pricey to just take out hunting, or use in pvp. i usually hunt with a Gold runic axe. Would be very happy with a archery equivalent
    One likes this.
  17. Steady Mobbin

Steady Mobbin Well-Known Member

Didn’t Archery get a boon “recently”?
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  18. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

No, the last archery update (patch 80) was released on December 28, 2017 before this whole thread started. Keep in mind, Telamon/Chris doesn't intend for every build to be completely balanced. If that were the case, taming would be altered. The goal of this server is to be a more refined version of the game as it was 1997-1999 "history perfected".

In my eyes the only balanced change to archery would have to have a balancing factor. Something like +damage to bow & Xbows with fetching skill, based off the renaissance concept of +damage to axes with lumberjacking. see below

Formula for axe damage bonus: ((Lumberjacking Skill / 10 ) -2) + (1 if GM) 50 skill (+3), 99.9 skill (+8), GM (+9)

Formula for bows damage bonus: ((Fletching Skill / 10 ) -2) + (1 if GM) 50 skill (+3), 99.9 skill (+8), GM (+9)
    Steady Mobbin likes this.
  19. Steady Mobbin

Steady Mobbin Well-Known Member

I like it. Makes sense.
  20. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

This thread is from An Corp'd from 2016 though.