One guide to rule them all. One guide to find them.

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Basoosh, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Lord Daemon

Lord Daemon New Member

You gain in animal lore, during the different LOS checks, when taming. This is believed to be when the animal lore skill be being checked. To gain in a skill, can only happen when there is a check calculation against it, and it has a chance to fail. So Animal Lore has to be calculated into taming.
    I'd like to ask GMs, or Devs, to test this by trying to take using 100 tame and 0 vet.
  2. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  3. Gideon Jura

4. Gideon Jura

5. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Really, STR * .3, +5 at 100+? Where did this formula come from? You're telling me I hit for 38 damage, minumum, if I have 100 STR?

Also, where did the 30-stamina-per-swing-speed-increase come from?

I've never heard of such formulas in UOR-era UO.
  6. Gideon Jura

7. Dalavar

Ah OK, thanks.

They definitely should be different if the goal is UOR-period accuracy.

IIRC, the Strength bonus in UOR was either .2 per STR up to a max of 20% at 100, or .2 STR up to 99 STR and then a bonus at 100 to hit the 30% max. (The latter should match Anatomy, I believe. Since we're going with just a flat 2% for Anatomy and no extra bonus for 100, I think that's what Strength should be as well).

For Stamina and swing speed, UOR was still a tick-based time period (I'm not sure this ever changed). Something like this I think was still in use:

SwingLatency = 60,000 ÷ ( [Stamina +100] x Weapon Speed )

That's in units of "ticks", where one tick is .25 seconds, and you round down to the nearest tick. So if the formula comes up to 5.27 "ticks", you round down to 5 and (5 * .25) = 1.25 seconds.

EDITED for clarity with my more recent post
  8. Gideon Jura

9. Tirane

Tirane New Member

blacksmithy guide is completely off. i did it the way he described and i am at 98 real and have already used the double the amount of ingots... last time 3000 per .1 gain with gorgets... he lists it at 300...
  10. Gideon Jura

11. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

I followed the blacksmithy guide and used almost exactly the listed amount of ingots.
  12. Dalavar

Haven't done the math on this, but I have to think Ballot Box deeds at 5 boards are still better than Wooden Shields at 9 boards, assuming you're just trash barreling both once completed.

I plan to do ballot box deeds until I have a roughly 90% chance to make them successfully.
  13. Gideon Jura

14. Dalavar

This is easy, thanks to a stopwatch (or computer clock) and the combat log book on test center.

My testing makes me think the formula is simply the classic:

SwingLatency = 15000 / {[STAM+100] * WepSpeed}

This I believe is default RunUO formula. SwingLatency is the number of seconds between swings.

Additionally, as far as I can tell, there is no "cap" or "floor". So swing speed does decrease in a linear fashion as weapon speed and/or stamina increase. On UOSA, for example, it was a step function (based on "ticks" of .25 seconds in length - you could only have a swing latency of 1.25 seconds, 1.5, 1.75, 2.0, 2.25, etc., and nothing in between). Additionally on UOSA, there was a floor of 1.25 seconds per swing which you couldn't be faster than.

Here, at 120 dex with a katana and/or a kryss, you are swinging faster than once every 1.25 seconds.

I think it's a nice feature for dexers, and well balanced given how Mind Blast works, so I'd like to see things stay this way. Just my .02.
  15. Gideon Jura

16. Dalavar

For tinkering, it should be Hammers to 45.0 *displayed*. Takes around 500 ingots to go from 30 to 45.0 doing hammers.

From there, you can do lockpicks.
  17. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

I'm currently working on Carpentry and this is my current status. I'm referring to the SHOWN SKILL at it determines your current success level and is relevant to pick the right thing to craft at a given skill level.

0-30 - from NPC (Shown Skill 45)
    45-52 - Medium Crates (bad choice ! Start with ballot boxes AS SOON AS POSSIBLE !)
    52-60 - Ballot Boxes
    ------------ 13k boards burned to get here from 30 - might be able to reduce it if you switch to ballot boxes earlier---------
    60-69 - Wooden shields (7k boards)
    69 - 77,4 Fishing Poles (I still have LOTS of cloth from my tailor gm) (4k boards + 4k cloths)
    77,4 - 85,0 Quarter Staff (6k boards)
    85,0 - 91,7 Gnarled Staff (10k boards first session)
    91,7 - 97,6 Gnarled Staff (15k boards second session=
    ------------- 55k boards burned and still a good step away from GM
    97,6 - 99,4 Gnarled Staff & shepherds crook (6k boards burned)
    99,4 - 100 Gnarled Staff & shepherds crook(1,5k boards burned)

Total : 62,5 k boards burned

Could have done it with below 60k if I switched to ballot boxes earlier I think !

Lessons learned :
    Only do medium crates up to the moment where you can craft ballot boxes. They are a horrible waste of boards. Keep some of the medium crates if you're looking for storage in your house
    Keep the wooden shields you craft and fill a couple of medium crates you crafted earlier. Just lock down the medium crates and fill them with wooden shields. The only other option is to trash them or break them. In case you ever want to train parrying you will be using quite a lot of shields. This will get you enough shields for 10 GM parry ...

In very high skill levels (>98) I did switch between Gnarled Staff & shepherds crook every few gains. I had a strong impression this improved board yield.
  18. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

For tailor Fancy Dress only takes you to 54. burned about 1000 cloth to verify. Instant gains when switching to robes at 54.
  19. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

Instead of wasting precious material, log on to the UO:R test shard, set the skill to the desired level and test with the endless material provided at brit bank.

I will actually gm a couple of smiths on Test shard before I do my gm smith since I want to get to the absolute minimum of ingots wasted.
    Same thing for tinkering ...

I don't care about carpentry & tailoring since the materials you waste are easily collected ...
  20. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Working two tailors side by side as i write this. Both are stuck at 58.1 SHOWN skill with fancy dresses. Will not budge, have burned lots of cloth. It should be noted that both tailors have differing values for real skill but are both stuck at 58.1 shown.

Instant gains switching to robes here.