Patch 41: July 15th 2013 Item Identification, Mining Fixes

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by Chris, Jul 12, 2013.

1. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Re: Patch 41: July 15th 2013 Item Identification, Mining Fix

I don't believe we've placed any rules against it, but you're not likely to get the expected results from doing so ;)
  2. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

Casting involves two components: Cast Time and Recovery Time.

Recovery Time is the reason you can't instantly chain ebolt and instead have to wait a moment if you target immediately after the spell is finished casting.

When I asked Ez if he changed Recovery Time, he said that he did not. I know that he did not change the Cast Time, either, so he my logic is that he has added a new element to the spell timings.

Ez, please correct me if I am wrong.
  3. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

Cast Time, in the context you've used it would be interpreted as the actual time it takes to complete the spell from start to finish once casted, this has not changed at all.

What has changed, is the NextSpellDelay, which determines how long you must wait before being able to begin casting another spell after completing a previously casted spell. This is not the same thing as the RecoveryDelay, at least not as far as the code is concerned. The recovery delay between spells gets passed into the next-spell-delay when the server is not running under the AoS settings.

The recovery delay, as the code handles & references it, determines the amount of time you must wait before casting another spell after being interrupted while casting a previous spell.

The term "recovery" is a bit misleading for this since the code is very specific regarding what controls what.
  4. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

No.. the NextSpellDelay determines how long you have to wait before being able to cast another spell after beginning the cast of a previously cast spell.

Yeah, which makes them the same value. They are conceptually and functionally the same thing. Perhaps you did not realize this before our conversation yesterday.

Not really. o_O

When you start to cast a spell, two timers kick off. One for Cast Time and one for Recovery Time. Cast Time determines how long before you get a target cursor. Cast Time can be interrupted. Recovery Time determines when you can begin a new spell. Recovery Time is immutable (it can not be interrupted).
  5. napo

napo Well-Known Member

A few of us played around on test with the new spell timings the other day, and I thought stuff seemed pretty good. The cast recovery (and damage resolution on spells) felt about to me what spell timings felt like back in the day. If we aren't era accurate at the moment, we're quite close.
  6. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I noticed last night while dumping an explo-ebolt on a target that the flow of casting seemed a LOT smoother. I'm not great wizard but even I was getting hiccups with the delay to cast another spell. I don't really care what anyone or the code calls it, but being able to cast again right after targetting my explosion worked like a charm.
    Thanks for the great patch. Hopefully people can start to get over their assumptions and familiarities of casting developed on other custom shards. ;)
  8. Spooner

Spooner Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

When can we expect to see the lumberjacking issue fixed?
  9. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Its currently fixed and live on test center, but we are trying to work a few things into the next patch. So realistically 2-4 days.
  10. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Thread Archived.