Patch 49: February 11th 2014 - Maintenance Patch

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by Chris, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

[​IMG]

Continued work improving server performance
    • Audited the processing system in which the world spawners are built on to improve performance
    • Enabled some advanced features to reduce the amount of spawned created in remote parts of the world
    • Note: This will help with performance and lower server save times.
    • Optimized a variety of timers to improve server performance.
    • Reduced the daily timer processing load by 150 million operations.

Valentines Event
    • Resolved a problem in which players could have started the Valentines event with valor rather than the correct scroll
    • Final refinements to the Cupid Boss

Young Program
    • Disabled the ability for Blade Spirits and Energy Vortex's to target young players.

Blade Spirit / Energy Vortex Spells
    • Due to a line of sight issue that was discovered we had to make a few changes to these spells.
    • Disallowed targeting a blade spirit or energy vortex into a house region from outside a house region.
    • Disallowed targeting a blade spirit or energy vortex into a house region from another unrelated house region.
    • Note: These rules will be relaxed once we address the line of sight issue to our satisfaction.
    • Players may still cast these spells inside their house, and from inside the house to outside the house.

Explosion Potions
    • Adjusted the logic in which explosion potions operate while in a house region.
    • Damage will no longer bleed multiple tiles into a house through a wall.
    • Players standing directly next to a wall while inside a house can still take damage from a potion outside.
    • Potions thrown at the wall of a house will no longer do damage through the wall to hit the players inside.
    • These changes apply specifically to house regions. No over-world changes were made to explosion potion mechanics.

Runebooks
    • Disabled the ability to use the "(" ")" "]" "[" characters when naming a runebook. Thanks Descartes

World Website Interface
    • Added a world broadcast for the item interface of the website as on rare occasions it can cause a 1-2 second pause when processing
    • This process only runs once a day.
  2. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

• Players standing directly next to a wall while inside a house can still take damage from a potion outside.
    • Potions thrown at the wall of a house will no longer do damage through the wall to hit the players inside.
    Aren't these two contradicting?
  3. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I assume it means if you throw a potion at the grass next to a house wall, it can hit someone standing on the edge of their house on the inside. But if you throw the potion at the wall of the house, it won't hit them.
  4. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

trammel w/o trammel
    snap dragon likes this.
  5. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

If he's got to incorporate some trammel to fix obvious exploits then so be it.

You shouldn't be able to cast an energy vortex into my CY or into some areas of a house (through the roof). The LOS issues aren't easy to fix and he said it in the notes, it'll be relaxed once they get it under control.

I was able to chuck purple pots through the window of a log cabin and into the center of the house, this needed a bandage to avoid further exploit.
  6. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Our goal is always to preserve as much of the felucca mechanics that we know and love. There are a variety of unbalanced mechanics that were never addressed properly in felucca as OSI/EA jumped right into trammel and never looked back. If people were house killed on Felucca they just moved to trammel. If you didn't like people recalling into your courtyard, they made another heavy handed fix so no one could recall into your courtyard.

I played during this time and I remember how badly thought out these solutions were and will always avoid that type of heavy handed changes here. @Ezekiel and I spent 6+ hours last night looking for long term solutions to both these issues and are satisfied that the changes are specific enough to solve the problem while generally going unnoticed by the population. Thus buying me more time to address these issues down the road, rather than responding to 10 pages a week with questions about how they died in the center of their house. Or how someone destroyed all the stuff in their courtyard.

Another server when faced with the same issue, simply disabled targeting any summon spell within 5 tiles of a house region.

These changes buy us time to focus on the bigger projects like the server performance, CTF overhaul, and crafting updates that are at the top of our list at the moment.
  7. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Honestly the only people who will notice the purple pot and summoning chances are players that kill house sitters and while they are a valuable part of the UO experience and add much in the way of excitement I won't be losing too much sleep over their griefing powers being temporarily curbed. As this change benefits about >99% of the population and only temporarily inconveniences <1% I think its a great change.

And for you <1%, I think you should be happy because as Chris said, other servers simply turn off any feature related to abuse whereas here, he will be doing his utmost to get a solution in place which will make our virtual world better as a whole for everyone.

In the meanwhile I will keep my characters right next to the walls of my houses so you guys still have something to blow pots and regs on ;)
    Markos likes this.
  8. Liberation

when tel says "temporary", though, he means very long term. MeteorSwarm/ChainLightning doing 1 damage in houses is also "temporary" and that change has been in for the entire seven months that i have been here. seven months is not temporary.

if we're being honest with ourselves then we have to admit that the optimal solution will never be instated because it is too large of an investment of time. i would hope that a solution could be devised that would address this issue without affecting other systems.

i will put some thought into this, but i also hope that you will.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Temporary has no time frame. Temporary means it is decidedly not the final intended mechanic or result. When it is actually changed doesn't really matter. Quite frankly, hitting people through walls with Explosion potions is silly anyway. Same thing with casting Meteor Swarm and Chain Lightning on people in houses. Houses should be a player's safe zone, providing they take appropriate security measures. Being able to kill someone through the walls of their house is utterly stupid and should never be considered appropriate, in my rarely humble opinion.

Earthquake is borderline and considering the base logic of the effect, it makes sense to impact anyone in the area. People with magic houses that appear when a deed is used, should have matching magical rooftops that are impervious to airborne assaults. :p
    Avery and Paradigm like this.
  10. Liberation

blaise posted his opinion. thread over!
    Jakob likes this.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The definition of the term temporary is not an opinion. The rest of it though, sure.
  12. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

I personally dont have a problem with being able to chuck a bomb through a window.....lol......put a chest over it if you dont want terrorists tossing cocktails in your house!!!
  13. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Stone walls should shield you from Purple Pot blasts... I personally have used BS and EV dropped into someone's patio to exact a bit of player driven justice... These types of things are easily combatted with locked doors and locking down chests so they don't get destroyed.

If a spell does not damage the structure, it should not damage the person inside as a secondary effect. If I send a spell directly at you (including a summon), it should hurt you if it has LOS and an open path to you.