Patch 56: September 16th 2014 - Renaissance Achievements! CTF v2!

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by Chris, Sep 5, 2014.

1. STAVROGIN

STAVROGIN Well-Known Member

amazing job. as always.
  2. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Fair enough! Thanks for response and absolutely amazing work.
  3. TrinnyTowny

TrinnyTowny New Member

Wow can't wait to finish my Cartography!!!
  4. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I had to link a thread in the patch, which is still under construction. Ill move this into a public area so that message goes away.
    Azerothian and CaptainMorgan like this.
  5. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

Where do you see the achievements you've completed?

Nevermind, I no read good. Looking forward to the web portal (bragging rights) portion of this. :)
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  6. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Thanks as always Telamon for your continued work for the citizens of your virtual train set! Looks like a BUNCH of fantastic changes. :))
    Gideon Jura likes this.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Hail and welcome aboard UO:R! For the record, this shard is not restricted to era accuracy. The Not Era Accurate, or NEA argument is best saved for shards whose goals are specifically era accuracy. While UO:R tends to start at a baseline of era accuracy, the goal is History Perfected. Thus, perfecting what was in era is what the intention is. Purple potions, magic spells, weapons and even tames, can still cause damage in town. I would guess, if anything were done to purples, it would be a delay to use them after passing through a moongate, or better yet, a delay to use a moongate until after the potion explodes. I see where you're going with that being a common town killing practice and personally I'd get behind some mitigation of that tactic but there should always be a way to kill someone who's not surrounded by guards or in line of sight to an NPC, or just simply calling guards themselves.

If you're getting killed out of town by mob luring or pet releasing, it is likely you were AFK and should find an Inn. Personally I don't see that as grief so much as they're not doing anything but standing around so coming back dead when you left yourself AFK out of GZ should be the expected outcome. Not a point of grievance.

Anyway, your input is always welcome even if not always agreed with (something I deal with daily :] ).
    dissident likes this.
  8. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

A real PK would never find themselves in town.

The solution is pretty simple. Tame your scorpions, release them outside of town, have them attack you, walk them to your target, cast invis on self.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

pre-cast invis and target self next to your victim just after saying "lol" in case they check their journal.
    Jupiter and Vlar like this.
  10. Pork Fried Rice

The patch looks great. My only complaint is the maps having the location given away. Back in the day, part of the hunt was actually finding the treasure. Then, they (players) documented all the maps and the Stratics map as we know it was created. This still required human skill to figure out the maps' number. Now you've gone and removed the last aspect of the treasure mapper challenge and skillset. What was the reason for this?
  11. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

There's no challenge to looking up the map location on the THB site, especially once you learn where each of the major areas is. This moves all of the activity into the game rather than requiring outside RL resource. I like it a lot, but I may be biased in that it saves me a couple minutes per map.

The challenge still lies in the completion of the map in game.
  12. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I don't see any challenge at all in looking on the THB site/app.

Showing the map's number is IMO a requirement to make this system work. That way you can trade for ones you need, etc.
    dissident likes this.
  13. Brymstone

Brymstone Well-Known Member

Very glad to see that the AR issues are being looked at by staff. Once that gets resolved maybe melee damage will be fixed as well.

Awesome job Chris and staff, as well as those who helped in testing for the patch!!

Hope to see more good things down the pipe :)
    Vlar likes this.
  14. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

This was a valid issue we considered, but in order to encourage/allow players to attempt to complete some of the new challenges knowing the location of the map was important. This has the side affect of creating a few new features players can enjoy without ruining the old experience.

• You can now sort maps by location/level, rather than level alone without having to decode them.
    • Players can now actively trade maps based on their location, again without decoding them.
    • And players can search for the map they might need on player vendors, or via the forums.

In the end this is why we linked it to the item id skill, rather than just providing the information without effort. This is a break from ERA norms but we think the end result is worth the small adjustment.
    Azerothian likes this.
  15. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Even with the attended verification system this was allowing overtly efficient macros that could effectively strip mine a 16x16 area of the map by the use of the "no resource" system messages. This would allow someone to recall to a cave type area and effectively mine it out. This was also behavior that a normal player would almost never use in a macro unless it was heavily automated via computer controlled behavior. However since each ore vein contains 16 possible pieces of ore, and that's about what a player can hold, this should have minimal effect on the classic recall, mine, recall, bank, repeat process some players enjoy while deterring strip mining operations.

See this post for additional clarification.
    http://uorforum.com/threads/patch-5...aissance-achievements-ctf-v2.6614/#post-52816

Once we are able to adjust all of the NPC's to react properly in these situations we will review this change and remove it if it is no longer necessary.
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    Azerothian likes this.
  16. Pork Fried Rice

My T-hunter, without any item ID skill, can see the level and location number of a map. My fisher, without any carto or item ID skill can see this as well.

Adding meaning to "useless" skills like item ID is fine, but giving the information away blatantly seems like too much of a gift.

Can we extend this idea to dungeon chests? A single click of a dungeon chest should reveal it's lock level using the same logic, no?
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I would love to see an application of say Item ID skill used or even at specific levels of Lockpicking, the ability to single click a chest to ID it's lock level and maybe even trap type with enough Detect Hidden skill?

The fact of the matter regarding Treasure Maps is that no one has hunted for a treasure map location in over 10 years. There's offline utilities, the stratics website and everyone and their mother (except me) has all the locations pinned in UOAM by now. This literally just removed the need for using a third party utility to give us the answers we weren't going to find the hard way, ever. So really all this did was remove the need to cheat my way around the location numbers and let me stay in the game client the whole time. Except when I die and have to ask for help in IRC.
  18. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

This is most likely due to the fact that one an item is identified, it is identified to everyone involved. As for dungeon chests that is a valid idea that could be easily tied to detect hidden to provide a message indicating the complexity of the lock/trap. Rewarding players who have the detect hidden skill in those situations.
    Azerothian, Vlar and Blaise like this.
  19. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I am not sure you are appreciating how ridiculous it would be to try to complete one of each of 200 maps without knowing which one they are beforehand. I think it would take about 1,176 maps to have a 50% chance of having at least one of each. If giving an easy numbering system is what's required to have this cool achievement system in place (and, IMO, it is required), I think it's a worthy tradeoff.

As for the dungeon chest level indication, I think the indication of its level would be similar to the traditional "plainly", "cleverly", map designations. I don't think the Item ID of the map number is as good of an analogy. In any case though, I for one think the click-to-see-dungeon-chest-level would be a nice addition. Maybe you meant it to be a hyperbole of something that should never be done, but I think it's a good idea actually :)
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I honestly can't tell you how many L2/3 chests I picked on my way to GM Lockpicking because I never had any idea other than how easy the lock sprung.