Patch 73 - Feburary 13th, Valentines Event, Combat Changes & More!

Discussion in 'Patch Notes' started by Chris, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Reading these notes, and be prepared to test these changes item by item once we open them up for public testing.

As for the pet spawn, I was already committed to fixing that in this patch, to cut down on pages to eject creatures, and rare situations where they spawn inside a house.
    One likes this.
  2. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

More changes added, with a major change to wands updated

Wands
    * Wands have been converted to the proper era accurate naming conventions.
    Magic Wand, Greater Heal:4 will become "a greater healing wand with 4 charges"
    * A wands magical charges can now be transferred to other wands.
    While holding a wand in your backpack, but not equipped, if the wand is identified you can double click it and target a wand of the same type.
    * Charges will be transferred to the target wand up to the maximum amount of charges that wand can naturally occur with.
    Example: Greater Heal Max:5, Fireball Wand Max:15, Lightning Wand Max: 20, Identification Wand Max:175, Most others:30
    * If there are no charges left in the original wand, it will be destroyed.
    * If there is not enough room for all the charges in the original wand, as many charges as can be transferred will be moved from wand to wand.
    This change will serve two purposes.
    It will encourage people to manage the global item count by consolidating wands into more functional wands.
    This will also negate various tactics players are utilizing with non approved 3rd party applications that are providing an advantage in pvp situations with wand use.
    Note: Non Approved 3rd party applications are still not allowed, and will result in the possible loss of access your accounts. This change simply makes sure that if someone manages to avoid detection for a brief period of time they do not receive and unfair advantage in combat situations.
    WandChange.jpg
    Fraggle, Hawkeye, Cynic and 1 other person like this.
  3. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

[​IMG]
    Vishakt, bart simpson and One like this.
  4. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  5. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

That is the plan, it is a long overdue change, but any adjustment to combat mechanics requires extensive research, testing, and review. After a year of looking into this we believe we have the correct mechanic for overages of strength and tactics that fit into our balanced combat system.
    SteelyDan and One like this.
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Congrats on the combat stuff, and especially the wand updates!

And congrats to whoever was non-actively farming Dread Spiders.
    One likes this.
  7. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I wonder who that was

upload_2017-1-25_14-8-50.png
    Dalavar likes this.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

lol Cynic.

Patch is looking pretty tits. You know I'm fuckin sprung for that wand naming convention more than the wand combination function. lol

Can't wait to feel out the combat changes. I might start scratching that UO itch again.

The wand combo thing is gonna be pretty sweet for ID wands too. :)
    One and bart simpson like this.
  9. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

New Account Restrictions
    * Explosion potions can no longer be used by new accounts in guarded regions.
    * The Poison/Poison Wall spells can no longer be used by new accounts in guarded regions.
    * Firebombs can no longer be used by new accounts in guarded regions.
    * Firecrackers can no longer be used by new accounts in guarded regions.
    Note: I have avoided this change for years, but lately there have been a rash of new accounts created for the express purpose of murdering players in town. While our official stance is that town killing is part of Ultima Online. We do not believe that creating accounts for the express purpose of murdering players is. In 90% of the cases in which we investigate this activity we find some other rule being broken (General Conduct, Account Limitations, 3rd Party application abuse)
    Our veteran players will not notice this chance at all. It will function much like the requirements to join a NPC guild like the thieves guild. A certain baseline amount of gametime and account history will be checked before allowing these actions in a guarded region. ​

To put this change into perspective I spent 4 hours this weekend dealing with players initially brought to my attention because of their efforts to kill everyone they found in town.

This is the story of one such player.
    - Has a friend that plays here.
    - Uses friends accounts as needed.
    - Created one account two weeks ago, character is already many counts into being a murder.
    - Character spend his first two weeks here following around new players in efforts to intimidate them.
    - Friday night player decides to kill everyone he can find in town.
    - Friends accounts have open character slots, his account has open character slots.
    - Player instead makes a 7th account. Creates a character with "bomb" in the name.
    - Player proceeds to kill a multitude of players in town using explosion potions made from his friends accounts.
    - This behavior is reported to me.
    - I investigate said behavior, notice account limitation violations.
    - Jail accounts involved.
    - 90 minute discussion with Player 1/2.
    - Situation is 2 players, using 6-7 accounts.
    - Player 1 goes immediately into character claiming he is playing a "chaotic evil role" and it is his job to kill all "dirty macro'ers" who "should not be allowed to macro AFK.
    - Player 2 sticks to standard verbal abuse "Fuck you" "You're a Tyrant" "This server sucks"
    - Players are aware of the rules, yet claim to have never read them.
    - Player 2's accounts are 3 years old, still claims to have never read the rules.
    - Players are given the option of respecting the server, our rules and our players.
    - Players demand to be able to continue their behavior.
    - Staff decides to leave players in jail as there are no assurances they will cease abusing the accounting rules or conduct rules.
    - Player 1 makes additional account, pages, wastes another 90 minutes of the staff time trying to explain how he should be able to role play an evil character.
    - Uses D&D terminology, seems to know little about Ultima Online.
    - Staff is still unable to get an assurance out of him that he can respect other playstyles and the servers rules.
    - Player 1 admits that Player1/2 were involved in harassing players in IRC two days earlier. (as Richard Garriot, EA Games. They received an IRC timeout for this)
    - Player 1 applies to be a counselor (while in jail)
    - Player 1 is denied a position as a counselor.
    - Staff determines Player 1 will remain in jail for the time being.

To be clear this situation is not about town killing, it is simply about players who have no respect for the server or its other players. They are simply here to "get off" in their own special way and see no value in anything else we offer. To them UOR is simply a source of victims/interactions. By removing the ability for new accounts to harass our players in this manner we can cut down on situations like above.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
    Kiryana, shad, Canis and 5 others like this.
  10. One

One Well-Known Member

11. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

When you poison someone in town, the guards kill you immediately. But the player targeted is still poisoned and with enough applications will eventually die. None of these methods allow you to avoid a murder count and most of the time once players realize they cannot easily delete murderers they stop.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
    One likes this.
  12. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Considering the circumstances I see no wrong in this at all. You're not going to see any "new" player complaining that they can't throw a purple pot in town.
    Zyler and One like this.
  13. Dalavar

Just LOL'ed in the office over this one.
    Canis, Avery, Vishakt and 3 others like this.
  14. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I wish I was kidding. I hate denying anyone the chance to play here. But in this case there was clearly something wrong. It seemed he simply wanted players to terrorize in his own special way.

Long ago I realized I can do the server way more good by directing these players to other free servers so their style of gameplay and the fact we do not allow them here will act as a recruiting tool for Renaissance. In the 4 years I have had this policy it has been very effective. Many many new players mention finding this server in order to get away from this type of unhinged behavior on other servers.

As for the mechanic change, yes we hope it has no effect on our veteran players.
    Canis and One like this.
  15. One

One Well-Known Member

16. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

Such a huge patch. Thanks, Telamon. I'm not a fan of the wand naming convention, but a minor thing. Looking forward to it.
  17. Dalavar

jihad joe likes this.
  18. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Personally I prefer the brackets, it looks cleaner and it's easier to read when sorting.

Of course I think Telamon is trying to break how a 3rd party program toggles wands too.
    CaptainMorgan likes this.
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Probably preferred that shit font in runebooks too. He can't break how third part progs use the wands really without changing the item types or something like that. This will make it less beneficial to use a third party prog though because you can just keep refilling whatever Razor is set for.

/me pukes in mouth

As far as I recall, the convention applied here now is what it was in era and the bracketing shit came later. I could be mistaken though and that could have ended with T2A.

Dalavar, I think you're correct on the grammatical part.
  20. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

This is something I was looking into as well, if my example is not the correct format that OSI used I will look into adjusting it. We were a bit unsure of the exact format when making the change.

Nail + Head.

Runebook fonts are still on my todo list.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    jihad joe and Blaise like this.