PKs

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Stoned Viking, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Heat of battle travel restrictions for non-criminals was removed. The nefarious still have to stick around after doing crimes.

This is highly relevant when chasing Faction thieves, or thieves in general. ;)
  2. Ervin

Ervin Well-Known Member

If you start a fight you should have to finish the fight. So a blue can attack a red and if the battle goes south for the blue he can still recall out?
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I think if you are the aggressor, you cannot flee or something like that.
  4. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

No, heat of battle was removed here some time ago. It only seems to apply to reds attacking blues now. If you're red and anyone attacks you they can recall right away. In factions everyone is just running around with recall prepped ready to hit their rune. Regardless of whether they start the fight if they are given a 1 sec window they'll be gone. It's much more efficient than even bothering to heal. I think there were some pvpers here maybe six months ago that argued for heat of battle to be removed and succeeded (i still strongly believe if you attack someone you should not be able to recall.)
  5. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Yes, here a blue can absolutely attack a red and recall right away. Even sillier when you see it in factions.
  6. Google-

Google- Member

this whole thread is TL|DR

Cliffs notes?

SIMPLE

Add a leet pixel reward driven Paladin system.

Problem solved

/end thread.
    Basoosh and Jupiter like this.
  7. Brymstone

Brymstone Well-Known Member

I like the way you roll Google lol
    Jupiter likes this.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Justice Virtue Rewards!

Or perhaps we align Justice with Order and all reds are naturally Chaos and a point allocation system for battles outside of houses or even more specifically in dungeons. By gaining in Justice/Chaos you achieve bleh bleh platinum/gold? This way, even reds will have an incentive to stick around for a fight and a chance to up their reward for their respective play style. An Order/Chaos leader board with public standings, etc.

:p
    snaggle and Google- like this.
  9. Brymstone

A Win/Win for everybody involved, I like it!
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

http://uo2.stratics.com/virtues/justice

Looks like they were getting there, but we could definitely try to perfect this system:
    Virtuous Ability:

The reward for following the path of this Virtue is the ability to protect the innocent, and through such protection comes a greater benefit.

Whenever a character that you’re protecting receives a “Scroll of Power” as a reward for killing a Champion of Evil

(the “boss monster” from a dynamic spawn area), you, as their protector, will also have a chance to receive an exact copy of that same scroll of power.

Each step gained in Justice will increase your chance of receiving a scroll in this manner.

• First step: 60% chance
    • Second step: 80% chance
    • Third step: 100% chance
    The benefits of Justice-based protection are only in effect while both characters are within the same non-consensual PvP ruleset area (like Felucca). You also must be on the same server as the character you are protecting in order to have the possibility of receiving a scroll of power. For example, no benefits are in effect if you’re in a dungeon server while the character you’re protecting is in the Lost Lands.

In order to gain points in the Justice Virtue, you must seek out and defeat murderer characters (red-hued players). Whenever you kill such a character, you may receive the message: “You have gained in Justice.”

There is a limit on how often you can gain points in Justice. The more points you gain from killing a murderer, the longer you will have to wait until you can acquire more points in the virtue. The amount of Justice points you can gain is dependent on the skill of the murderer you kill. The higher in skill the murderer is (in comparison with your own skills), the more points you will be able to gain.
  11. Brymstone

Blaise, that's awesome. I agree with you, I think this system can be expanded on and perfected here.
  12. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Blaise's idea is good if you put in heavy restrictions on Justice gains and reset everyone's current Justice status. People will create their own farmable Justice PK toons.
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Is Justice even working here? I haven't even tried it to find out yet.
    Hopefully there's a way to provide connections that will allow for automatic or systematic prevention/reprimand for something like self-farming. That's where I think the incentives on the nefarious side would come into good play. Really the only thing murderers have to look forward to are kill counts and Dread Lord status...oh and body party collecting ;). Providing some sort of anti-Virtue for Chaos/Evil characters to excel in just like the 8 'good' aligned Virtues would be cool.

How about something like:
    The reward for following the path of the Lawless Anti-Virtue is the ability to negate heat of battle travel restrictions X amount of times per day and/or at the highest levels, resurrect one time per week, without statloss. Kills of Knights of Justice reward platinum based on how many were involved.

Considering Justice is supposed to involve a protection deal with multiple people, Lawless can be built up by slaying the innocent (small amounts), slaying together with other followers of the path (slightly larger amounts), slaying followers of the path of Justice (largest amounts).

blah blah, decays over time, etc. The percentages of how things work would obviously have to be dialed in accordingly but I'm just braindumping. :)
  14. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

You can gain justice by killing reds here, but you can't use the gump. I don't want to poop on anyone's parades or anything - just want to say I'm not in favor of something that rewards guys for killing their alts. It wasn't a well thought out mechanic on OSI, just a silly way to double your scrolls. It was a good thought with bad implementation. If there is some good way to implement it without abuse, I'm sure Telamon would be glad to.
    Basoosh likes this.
  15. Ervin

Ervin Well-Known Member

I just keep track of all the people who pk me so I can plot my revenge.

[​IMG]
    Baine likes this.
  16. Volkov

Volkov New Member

A problem with systems like this is generally that they artificially add something out of nothing, which makes it very possible to abuse it and farm yourself for gains. Same problem with the bounty system. Now if the PK was the one actually losing something from the ordeal... they would probably not be so keen to farm themselves either. Not much point farming yourself for the bounty if if came out of your own wallet etc.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

PKs are already on the losing end of the deal, because no tangible reward item is given, just the ability to avoid detriment if they die as a high level Lawless player. Sure, they could spend days farming alts for murder counts, to then farm their murderer with their Justice Character, so they can then farm that Justice character for Lawless points, so they can avoid statloss...., all being done outside of houses and guarded regions.

ie: Almost prohibitively cumbersome and as such, very unlikely to be farmed. It's not going to make them rich or give them some wild advantage in combat, so not terribly likely to be abused but I could be missing some factor in my theory.
  18. Volkov

Volkov New Member

Aye, it might not happen at all. But usually if you can exploit something somehow you just know that someone will.
    I was way tired when I wrote that last night, so it was just a raw general idea. But I still think a good system is one that takes something you want away from you when you lose.
    The idea works well with stat loss, you don't see reds killing themselves to get more of that because why would you? You lose something you want to keep = ability to keep playing at full capacity.
    Its the main problem with the bounty system, there is potentially more to gain by the PK if they turn their own head in. They lose some stats and time that they can macro away while playing on another account, not much of a sting. Might be worth it for a million gold or whatever.

I just think that some kind of system where you in some way take something away from the other part, be it blue or PK, something that both sides what to keep. You take away a lot of the exploitation risk and you add yet another reason for people to want to avoid death by someone else.

And I think it sounds like it would be more compelling if you know you are taking something away from your opponent, I imagine that's one of the reasons people PK to start with. The issue is not only that they lose something when you die, it's that you gain something tangible that you want from killing them.

Its not very different from what you are already describing, just that it could take it away again without magically adding to the inflation.

I might be rambling, it is early still. It's not like it's something you easily solve I guess, or it would have been done ages ago. :)
  19. treetop

treetop Member

I'm sure my comment won't even be heard cause this thread is so deep, but Stoned Viking is the reason that UO was ruined. It is a Risk vs Reward game, and when paying users started to cry to OSI about how they were getting beat down, the game changed drastically (and people quit playing the game).

Instead, why don't you become a little more witty and figure out ways to prevent dying to gank squads.

Here are a few of my tips.
    1. Hide a char in the entrance of a dungeon, keep a corner of that window up so that you can see names appear as they come running in. Prepare your char down dungeon to recall before PKs arrive. If you have two monitors, all the better.
    2. Have a "escape" hot key to Recall, I have mine set to space bar.
    3. Farming chars should have hiding, at the least. If fighting non-magic mobs, use magic reflection.
    4. Don't go in to farming with expensive equipment, if you are not confident about getting out alive.

There are some other top secret methods I use, but I haven't been PK'd yet on this server and during my early days I spent a lot of time in dungeons. I dodged about 10 PKs to their frustration.

Just learn to adapt and quit being a fucking pussy.
  20. Pork Fried Rice

Pork Fried Rice Well-Known Member

Bards - Keep magic reflect up, even if fighting casters (do your provo/peace, then re-apply MR).

Tamers - Don't over estimate the power of your pets, you can still get dropped quickly in 1v1 if you don't pay attention.

Pay attention to your screen. Lingering in IRC for even 20 seconds is enough to kill you.

Be in a voice chat with your friends. Have runes to each other's farming spots. If a PK shows up, give you can have backup damn nearly instantly.
    Jupiter likes this.