Platinum has little to no value.

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Erlkonig, Mar 18, 2018.

Tin foil hat?

1. Yes

53.8%
  2. No

46.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

This is probably my favorite of any wylwrk post.
    PaddyOBrien, LanDarr, wylwrk and 2 others like this.
  2. Fin

Fin Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I personally see an opportunity to corner the market on fishsteaks. Hit me up if you're interested in sharing a fishing boat for the next 3 months.
    Jesus Is King, wylwrk and One like this.
  3. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

The way I see it plat was attributed a value when Chris decided that X amount of time logged = max 10 coins a month per account.

With a combined maximum of 3 accounts equating to 30 a month.

That's the value of plat.

It's free.

You don't have to do anything except be logged in to acquire it.

You want more? Than 30 a month? Simple, pay a player who has collected more plat than you already via whichever method that have deemed beneficial to their play-style.

OR

Continue logging in - and doing WHATEVER YOU WANT until you have more.

I do agree that it would be great to have more items added to the reward store, but I'm also aware of the fine line Chris walks between adding items that wouldn't of been "era accurate" and appeasing/rewarding people who continue to play here.

I've loved El Hornos idea of the back room add on of a court yard to L towers since I first saw it.

Is it era accurate? No, is it Era Sympathetic? Yes.

The value of plat will forever be measured against nothing but impatience.

Because IT IS GIVEN TO YOU FOR FREE.
    Valrick and One like this.
  4. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

I would imagine a lot of people enjoy playing video games, I certainly do. So if people doing what they enjoy in their real life free time makes them losers, then count me among them :)
    I will continue to define losers as people who waste their real life doing things they don't enjoy.
    wylwrk and One like this.
  5. Fin

Fin Well-Known Member

The pricing of items in the UO:R economy doesn't correlate well with the amount of time it takes to find/craft/generate the item. Farming 80-100k/hour in gold is relatively achievable with a tamer. There are lots of items that take much longer than an hour to farm/obtain, but that sell for far less than 80-100k.

The fact that @Chris gives you 30 platinum coins every month does not mean that platinum has no value. It just means that you didn't have to pay for 30 of those coins. @Chris also hands out brightly colored sandals and masks every year. That doesn't mean that they are worthless... otherwise, do you think @Gideon Jura would be carrying like 14 of them in his pack at all times :confused:
  6. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

14? pssshhh...

[​IMG]
    wylwrk likes this.
  7. Fin

Fin Well-Known Member

Seriously, though, @Gideon Jura -- what's with the masks??

[​IMG]
  8. One

One Well-Known Member

...Why are you wasting Chris's time by tagging him here...
    Kiryana and wylwrk like this.
  9. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

I disagree dude. Respectfully,

Chris doesn't give out a pair of sandals and masks to everyone.

He gave out 16 blue pairs and 13 pink pairs in total.

Plat - EVERYONE gets.

Sandals - 29 people got.
  10. Mr. Green

Mr. Green Well-Known Member

542F60B2-EBA5-4940-BB19-F2FF39467D5B.jpeg
    Ruck and wylwrk like this.
  11. DaTamer

DaTamer Active Member

No way I could not post on this thread...

Problems with UO:R economy: (before I get started, let me say that I was a part of the problem 3 years ago)

1. 90% of the real estate is owned by 10-15 people
    2. A player can own 15 houses, and a smart player can own 30, and a devious player can easily own 45 (house spots are limited)
    3. Tamers are too easy to make (God I love them, but..) so everyone has 3+ and gold per hour is crazy. so large houses can sell for 50+ million
    4. Boss mobs spawn too often (had 7 in one hour)
    5. Taming scrolls too hard to fill, causing pets to be extremely expensive, causing people to charge too much for a spot, etc

I could go on listing things, but the problem is the stagnate players.

A new player, never been on UO:R before, logs in for the first time and sees what?
    25 million gold houses?
    2 million gold rune books?
    4 million gold ethys?
    no house spots for anything larger than a small marble?
    every vendor spot in game taken?

That's enough to make people head on to the next server.
  12. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

I was told there would be cub character slots
  13. Ron Jeremy

Ron Jeremy Well-Known Member

Dear god please let the whole server try and champ, what fun I would have!
    RavenMagi likes this.
  14. RIN

RIN Well-Known Member

Yeah... no.

Yes there are some houses selling for 25m. But that is not the norm. The only ones that do are primo spots or the largest of the houses. Neither one is a realistic expectation for a new player to achieve. Despite that, there are many people who have attained keeps after playing for only a few months. This comes down to a matter of how much time one wants to throw at the game and how dedicated they are.

2m runebooks and 4m ethy's are again, excellent goals for a new player, not something they deserve upon logging in.

Now your last two boggle my mind.

lol whut? Seriously, you can easily go out right now and find spots up to a villa easily. With some dedicated looking you can place a large brick. I know. @El Horno found me a spot for 2 large bricks side by side when I was here but a week or two.

Really? For months you could place a vendor for no charge at either the Yew Bazzar ran by @LanDarr or S-Mart ran by @Evil Dead
    Rextacy, Jill Stihl, Zyler and 2 others like this.
  15. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

"Too many players here doing too much stuff." - Said no player looking to play UO in 2018 ever.
  16. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

You can place a vendor at my Yew Gate Villa anytime you like. Lots of activity at the gate, check out my WYNB Lives thread, ask the vendors there how well they do....

I don't charge rent or anything...
    Jill Stihl, Zyler, One and 3 others like this.
  17. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

No way I can't rebuttal this.
    1. Completely false. This is just such bullshit I don't even know what to say. You can't really think this is true? How deep up your ass did you have to dig to pull these made up numbers from? I would love to hear how you came to this conclusion, please share so the server can chuckle at your expense.
    2. True that it is possible to have 15 houses, and cheaters could have technically unlimited houses. Lets step back into reality though, nobody is doing this. Nobody is doing this.
    3. I would imagine the majority of players do not have 3+ tamers, although I have no data to back this up, just like you guaranteed have no data to make the original claim. I do know that I cannot think of a single large house that has sold for 50+ mil, so I have no idea what you are even talking about there, but is sounds made up. Link to the sales thread of a 50+ mil large house please.
    4. You were killing harpies and got a really good string of luck. Nobody cares. Any test of the harpy boss spawn rate with a decent sample size would demonstate that your 1 time experience is not the norm. How are you going to take the luckiest hour of your harpy spawning life and extrapolate that into not only all harpys killed over server history, but take it even farther and say that "boss mobs spawn too often". Wtf.
    5. I don't know, seems like plenty of people have managed to fill plenty of tamer scrolls. I've never heard of people thinking it was too difficult, on the contrary I've heard that they are too easy considering they provide 10 bonding slots.
  18. One

One Well-Known Member

*brushes off tin foil hat*

Almost feel like this Tamer guy was deliberately putting this weak arguments up for someone to shoot them down, in so doing, dispel the idea of economic problems.

Anyway:

I actually agree with the point made several times above that the biggest economic problem may well be the lack of new items (platinum and especially gold) to spend currency on.

Either new items should be introduced to the platinum store (and to the shopkeepers for gold purchase) or maybe gold and platinum should be included in the list of items trashable via CuB for copper rewards. At a very unfavorable rate though (lest people have no reason to donate for copper).
  19. Jesus Is King

Jesus Is King Well-Known Member

If gardening gets implemented, maybe seeds and pots could be new plat rewards. That would be pretty awesome. It would give me more incentive to start using mine, that's for sure!
    PaddyOBrien and One like this.
  20. Evil Dead

Evil Dead Well-Known Member

Create a currency exchange stone at every bank where you can turn your plat into gold/gold into plat and takes a percentage or fee per transaction. Builds a sink and derails the plat train.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.