Player Guide to the Night of Horrors and other Events.

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Blaise, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Howdie all, I'm just going to brain dump here to help folks out with some general info that will help more folks find success in the Night of Horrors or other events using similar mechanics.
    Spawning:
    Containers are all over in the starting area with various resources. Using restock agents can help get you the items you need but try not to apply too much greed, if you want the shard to succeed. I set mine for 50 bandages, 10 of each potion and one of each leather armor piece. I've primarily played a warrior so I just grab one or two of the reagent bags (almost every bag inside a container, is a reagent bag), a spellbook and a heal scroll (damn the shortage of cure scrolls!!) and if I'm patient I look for other scrolls. You could add those things to your agent as well making it easier to fill the book.

If you're starting in one of the back rooms, don't even bother stopping at the containers near the stairs. You might as well head downstairs and try to catch the chests there before they get stripped clean as well.

None of the weapons found in the world will be magical. Silver weapons and magic weapons only drop from mobs this year.

Progression:
    Things seem to progress rather rapidly and often folks are lingering well behind picking up a kill or two but missing the big picture. Every time a new area opens up, there are fresh resource containers within it. If you're still lingering behind on small spawn, you are very likely to be without the resources you need later on. The trick is to stay with the forward party that is attacking the boss spawns and pay attention to system messages. I know it's a hectic mess out there, but the message saying a new area is open, should be like moth to a flame reaction for everyone.

Bosses are the key to victory and should be the primary focus of all so when an area listed below opens up, get there and stay on the bosses if you can.
    Royal Mummy near Docks: drops bandages when hit? When he dies he poisons everyone in the area, and can also poison on hit when he's alive. Has a big stack of bandages on him when he dies. 1 Holiday Coin to all major damagers when he dies.
    Vampires on the roof of Britain Bank: Red names, easy to spot, take down the mistresses before the main boss for more efficient progression
    The Necromancer and the Undead Dragon in the Britain Graveyard: When the bosses on the bank drop, grab whatever resources you need and hustle for the GY. None of the spawn in between matters so run past it and get to slaying in the graveyard to spawn the Necromancer. If everyone would focus on one of them first, the second will fall faster and progression will be more efficient. The longer two are alive, the more often people will be dying.
    Balam and his Acolytes in Castle Britannia: When you bounce from the graveyard, hustle to the castle south, and hit those resource containers in the two rooms on the sides of the main entrance. There's also two more at the entrance to the castle, just past the courtyard. Balam will continue to spawn more mobs if his Acolytes are alive. Slay the Acolytes first for more efficient progression.
    The Black Knight behind Castle Britannia: This is the beast of them all. He does big area of effect damage and will leave you saying OoOOOo more than any other. If everyone works together to lure him around to the front of the castle, the chances of success will be improved. Perhaps not on the spawning area, but as close as makes sense.

Hotkeys:
    Knowing if you're hitting the target is a bit crazy in these events so if you don't already have them, I suggest the following keys:
    Target Nearest Grey
    Target Nearest Murderer
    Attack Last Target
    If you stand on the same tile as the mob you're after, that will make sure it's hitting them.
    If you have something to add or correct, please post it or PM me and I'll update.

Thanks and party through it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
    Hawkeye likes this.
  2. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

That Ballam/Acolyte thing is key and it's not really fair to the majority of players as the only way to know the best way to defeat him is to have been in on testing the event. (like I was)
  3. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Don't stand on Balam, the throne room boss, he creates some sort of super deadly vortex on his tile.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2014