Player interactions

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Stormwynd, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I already used that at the end of each sentence. Thanks for trying though.
    Alice Asteroid likes this.
  2. Savage

Savage Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Set Up a Bazaar on the edge of Town (Brit as a Test) with Counter Spaces for a few Players that would actually like to do a Street-side Vendor type set up with access to the Bank, Forges, and Spinning Wheels. That would add a rotating "Live" interactive Shop/Customer interaction, and for the other 3/4 of the Bazaar add Lease Spots(Gold Sync) for unattended Player Vendors. That would gather a multitude of Shoppers, Gawkers, and Ne'er-do-wells to one area to Shop and be seen, Flaunting their Pomp and Leet-ness in a multitude of cliques.
    The Leased Vendor Spots(Gold Sync) could be used for Stand Alone Vendors for People who don't have Shops, and Billboard Sample Vendors for those that own well established Shops.(sampling of goods and Runes to the Main Shop)
    A "Satellite" Banker would need to be present to address monetary/storage needs, along with a Guard presence, otherwise "5D" would just move their Guild Stone there!
    Right across the Bridge would be a nice Location for a Bazaar......maybe somewhere in this Area...
    [​IMG]

Of course it would help if Crafting Weapons and Armor were a viable Profession for the Street Vendor, but all I see is Apathy.

If the Trade Forum wasn't as popular as it is, I'd say this would be a functional addition..... who knows..maybe it would be like an in-game IRC Trade Channel for the In-Game People on at any given Time. The Trade Forum would still Rule as it reaches all Timezones, and is usually used for Major Deals.
    Ragnarok likes this.
  3. mafghine

mafghine Active Member

Back in the day when I tried learning c# for my first public server, I tried coding a 2x2 carpet deed that used a key to unlock/lock it down to the ground, like a boat does. Then it acted like a house floor plan and you could lock some items on it. Picture a side street in brit where you could lock down a carpet, lock down a few items on the carpet and people would walk by and made deals for your wares. like a flea market.

Was too great a coding project for me and soon gave it up.
  4. Savage

Savage Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Maybe it would be too difficult to Code, but I really didn't mean the "Live Street Vendors" would be displaying their Wares. I was thinking more along the lines of "spamming" services and "goods for sale" while congregating near Forges, Looms and Counters or whatever Area they would be associated with.
    The unattended/semi-attended Vendor Areas would be no different then a Player's House Shop, the Player would have to "lease a Tile", one of maybe only 100 Total Available, Max 1 per/account.

I'm really just throwing out Ideas on improving player interactions away from Spawns and PvP as the OP stated, maybe it's not code friendly.....
  5. Melochabre

Melochabre Well-Known Member

This sounds like a great idea to encourage interaction and enjoy some aspects of the crafting business, but I see this being heavily griefed by thieves.
    Savage likes this.
  6. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

All I remember of Paws in UO was its palm trees and crocodiles...
  7. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

There's no secret sauce to this problem.
    Get your character out there and actively interact.

Try, fail, learn, succeed, rinse, repeat.

I made some gold selling "good head" in Occlo today. By that I mean sunken shipwrecked heads.... what were you thinking?

Anyway, had fun and a couple of laughs with it and interacted with the otherwise quiet solo types.
  8. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Then employ thief protection like we used to in the old days.

This is about interaction of players. I would hope this wouldn't exclude anyone regardless of their playstyle.

It's the criminal-risk element that makes this game... right?

Or is this a create trammel thread in disguise?!?
    ReZon likes this.
  9. Melochabre

Melochabre Well-Known Member

You're completely right. UO wouldn't be half the game it is without the degree of risk involved in most things.
    wylwrk likes this.
  10. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Love the comm crystal idea.

A while back, someone created an auction house, and it was a pretty fun way to get people together for a bit.

Ocllo is the place to be though, the newbie population there is always thriving and it's great to let them see and experience the community on the shard.
    ReZon likes this.
  11. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Comm crystals are very cool and very useful. Get a central tower for comm stone broadcasts and put the receivers in strategic spots where people gather, maybe get treasureman to lock a receiver down at his occlo house so random people at the bank can see the broadcast. Make a bunch of broadcast stones linked to 3 receivers, hand those receivers out to people interested in random RP adventures. Those people will put those recievers turned on in their banks, so when someone steps into the communication tower to broadcast a message, everyone logged in will hear it if they've got a receiver. The broadcasts can be charged up to 60k i think with gems. GIve reciever stones to allied guilds to lock down in their meeting places too.
    Jupiter likes this.
  12. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Paws and the following locations are currently connected (has receivers in)
    TKB
    Stormhold
    Cape Adalet (PoB)
    URK (they stole a receiver! )
    Lumaria (East of Brit)
    The Mage Tower (Moonglow Rune library by Les Claypool)
    Cove Fortress Library
    + a few select players' bank boxes.

The bank box idea is handy, but it becomes very obnoxious if you are standing at the tower while talking. Everything is duplicated!

Also keep in mind that broadcast stones pick up speech from as far as about 7-10 tiles away. And walls and height don't matter.
    Alice Asteroid likes this.
  13. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

I am adding emotes to my 2-3 characters, like *nods in greeting*, *whistles a tune*, and even words of a traditional song like "Scarborough Fair" or "Greensleeves". I've noticed it is hard to get unknown characters to interact...
    Ragnarok likes this.
  14. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

I don't think this is possible in UOR. I've gone back to my characters and none of the emotes I input have worked. :(
  15. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

In the character window there are a list of options above logout , and in there are options to create macros to communicate. You should be able to create macros to enable your character to communicate like the examples in the first of these three posts. They add a dimension of distinctive traits to your character. I used these a lot in UO. They seem to be disabled, or am I doing something wrong? It might seem marginal but it would do much to bring all characters alive and make for more player interactions.
  16. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I use Razor for most of my macros.

I record myself 'saying' something then set that macro to a hotkey

one of my macros does

lift item (hat)
    emote: *tips battered hat*
    drop item (hat) on head

I only have to press one key, and I tip my hat to you :)

I've expounded on some others. Send me a PM and I can show you how to loop randomized phrases/emotes using Razor

Alternatively, you can bind two things to one hotkey using both Razor and the UO hotkeys. Most people do this with spells.

First you set your spell, say Greater Heal to a hotkey using Razor (lets say the number 4 key)
    Then using the ingame UO hotkeys you set yourself to say "By the waters of grace, I heal you" and bind that to the same key (number 4)

Voila, anytime you press 4 you both cast a spell and say a cool phrase.
    Alice Asteroid and Kishember like this.
  17. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member

Corp Por
    "Power Overwhelming"

In Ex Por
    *clenches fist*

Vas Rel Por
    *time and space begin to distort*

In Vas Flam
    " Flame burn asunder!"

just a few of mine :)
  18. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

This sounds promising. I must give it a try.:)
  19. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

I should make some of these, too.
    Kishember likes this.
  20. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

in all this we need to be aware that archery is a ranged weapon, as against melee. It is the only ranged weapon with the exception of certain mage skills like fireball. So it goes well with the hiding skill. I'm working on my hiding skill atm, and have got the skill up to 22, which isn't much. But once hidden you stay hidden unless someone uses the detect hidden skill or unless you move, say something, or make an emote. But once revealed by whatever means the only way for the archer to have a second shot is to move away fast, then shoot again. Of course if you also have the stealth skill it makes the bow even more potent.

A group of hiding archers can effectively ambush an individual or a smaller group moving up a road. Having done that the archers would need to change to a melee weapon, or have some heavy infantry waiting in the wings to reveal themselves and charge in.
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2015