Poll: Recall from runebook 100% regardless of magery skill.

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by wylwrk, Apr 1, 2016.

With 11 int and 0.0 magery skill using a charge from a runebook in player's backpack is 100%

Poll closed Apr 15, 2016.
  1. Yes

41.9%
  2. No

58.1%
  1. Mirr Maz

Mirr Maz Member

It would also give non-mages, equal skill points compared to mages to distribute for viable templates, and thus put them on a level playing field, no?
    One likes this.
  2. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Caska VS Trees likes this.
  3. Sathar

Sathar Member

I am for real rubbing my temples at this comment. Ok so like simple math. Take whatever skill level of Magery required to recall 100% of the time. Now add that toan existing skill in your ttemplate or a brand new one but still maintain the ability to recall 100% of the time and somehow pretend that you don't get the benefit of those skill points?

Really?
  4. One

One Well-Known Member

Sockz and Mirr Maz like this.
  5. Sathar

Sathar Member

I think we are agreeing about the fundamental changes, I just see itas bad and you see it as good, so difference of opinion and I'll leave it at that.
    Mirr Maz and One like this.
  6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

For an investment of what you would think would be two unassociated skills (anatomy/evaluate intelligence), a character will have the benefits of wrestling without the skill point investment. A sacrifice of access to the special ability associated with wrestling is made with this method while retaining the defensive capability.

In other words, yes. Crazy, huh?

Now, if you'll excuse me... I need to grind more gold to afford a Space Shuttle so I can return to Sosaria and become a Space Ace.
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Caska VS Trees likes this.
  7. Sathar

Sathar Member

I wholeheartedly am against defensive wrestling as it stands right now aswell.

I may be many things, but hypocritical I am not.
  8. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

I haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if this has been mentioned before.

*Add recall jewelry/wands*
    One likes this.
  9. One

One Well-Known Member

Duz-luk likes this.
  10. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

Agreed. If it was an insta-out then even mages would use it. Being interruptible and using mana is a good thing because the mages would leave them alone, leaving the economy of the item to the warriors and archers. I think you're 100% correct here
    wylwrk and One like this.
  11. Sathar

Sathar Member

Ok I'll bite...

Annnnnd there it is, magic without magic, though I would hazzard a guess that if jewelery was in play in a standardized way(ie: jewellery makes for the standard part of everyones template/euipment/skills/attributes/etc) then it would fare out a whole lot better. Then, at least, it would be sacrificing a part of your general ability to game in order to have the ability to recall without the magic skill.

As it stands now though, jewellery doesn't give any benefits... wait, ok I might be wrong about this so feel free to correct me and i'll retract the statement... and thusly giving jewellery the abilty to recall without any magic skill places us fairly and squarely back at the original arguement, that you propose everyone be able to recall with no magic skill with the added unfairness and complication that you so delicately mentioned through the economisation of ability.

Still a firm no, a wolf in sheeps clothing in still, in fact, a wolf.
  12. Marvelous Marv

Marvelous Marv Member

I know this is an old post, but didn't want to create a new one touching on this. As this has been discussed 100s of times. But seeing as Dexers will never be (and have never been) as good as Mages/Tamers/Bards in PVM I felt this would be a nice quality of life change. In PvP this would assist a fair amount.

Edit: Although Peace Dexers do pull a very respectable Gp/hr.

Chances are more than half of the players would not approve of this. I also wouldn't be shocked if this idea was already tossed out there. Was still curious to hear the feed back none the less. If you're a vet, try to think of this from the perspective of a new player (0-5 months). You 'member? O I 'member! When you actually left one of your 15 homes to hunt for your gold. (do not take offence, merely a slight friendly jab)

Warrior only Scrolls created by Inscription that use magic weapon/shield/armor types as their resources instead of regs.
    -Inscriber needs to know the spell (and potentially other requirements-be 'a warrior' themselves or a quest similar to the Tamers quest. A Quest allowing you to create Warrior Scrolls?)

Examples:
    Shield or Armor +1 Scroll- Create Magic Reflect Scroll
    One handed Weapon + 1 Scroll-Create Recall
    2 Handed Weapon + 1 Scroll -Create Cure

100% success rate requires GM in a Weapon Skill AND tactics ( and/or Anatomy)--would be treated the exact same as Recall/Reflect/Cure with 100 Magery, still can be interrupted, location can still be blocked, etc.

Further expanding on this idea. It could even be based on the quality of the Magic Item---some players have thousands of ruin/might/force/power/vanq weapons and armor.

1 Ruin War Mace +1 Scroll= 50% chance to create a Warrior Recall Scroll
    1 Might Viking Sword +1 Scrolll= 75% chance to create a Warrior Recall Scroll
    1 Force Kryss+2 scrolls=Has a 50% chance to create 2 scrolls,/ 90% chance to create 1 Scroll
    1 Power Maul +2 Scrolls=Has a 75% chcance to create 2 Warrior Recall scrolls-- 100% chance to create 1 Warrior Recall Scroll
    1 Vanq Broad Sword+3 Scrolls= 50%Chance to create 3-Warrior Recall Scrolls-- 100% chance to create 2 Warrior Recall Scrolls

I'll now run back to my ONE small tower and hide in the corner, and I swear I wont be touching myself....or will I? Alt B and Alt S...baby.

MM-
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    One likes this.
  13. Soma Holiday

Soma Holiday Active Member

14. One

One Well-Known Member

Spankrox likes this.
  15. Spankrox

Spankrox Active Member

I honestly don't see the issue helping the 17 dexers on this shard travel around easier.

Its not game breaking, and might actually create a bit more diversity. Or is everyone content making heal mages and tamers?
    Soma Holiday, Marvelous Marv and One like this.
  16. Marvelous Marv

Marvelous Marv Member

This made me laugh.

Funny cause it's true Spanky!
    One and Spankrox like this.
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The requirements for successful Recall have literally nothing at all to do with the imbalance between the templates. Such imbalances are applied skill related, in terms of damage capability, damage taken and absorbed/resisted and various specifics about difficulty in developing skills. The worst of which being excessive bonding slots and the ability to keep tames happy by command spam, after hitting GM Taming with almost no risk at all.
  18. One

One Well-Known Member

19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Waste of time. Real "dexxers" have Magery too because this is Ultima Online and to go without is folly only held onto by role players.

I've had plenty of fun with 0 Magery and fizzling Recall scrolls a few times. I ran a Parry/Swords/Archer on UOSA for my main and needing some help gating around occasionally was part of the fun of the template.

Solo play is fucking boring.