provocation and proximity

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by El Horno, Aug 8, 2014.

1. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I do not know the best way to check something for era accuracy but maybe some others will be able to assist. I seem to remember being able to provoke 2 creatures then leave the area and return to collect the loot and finish off the survivor. On this shard, as soon as I leave the proximity they stop fighting. Is this how to is supposed to be for this era? If so, is there any chance at perfecting the history and changing it?

*edit
    I found out that publish 16 has changes to barding which includes:
    Ability Range
    All bard abilities will have a range. The bard must be within this range of the target to use the ability. Furthermore, the bard must remain within this range or the ability's effect ends. The base range of all bard abilities is 8 tiles, with each 15 points of skill in the ability being used increasing this range by one tile. The Peacemake ability will have an alternative mode usable as a radius of effect. For this variant, the radius of effect is identical to the ability’s range.

Continuation
    Once a bard ability has been used on a target, the bard must remain alive, visible, and within range of the target or the effect ends. Regarding creatures with “Dragon AI” (such as daemons, drakes, hellhounds, nightmares, and, of course, dragons): if at any point the bard moves while using any barding song, that may compel the creature to retarget on the moving characters.

I am new here so I may be wrong but it seems like we have a slightly different version of this on this shard. For instance you can hide within range of your provoked targets and they continue fighting, even though according to publish 16 "the bard must remain alive, visible, and within range of the target or the effect ends.
    I would imagine these changes were made due to trammel. In trammel a single bard would be able to provoke large areas of dungeons and retain all the looting rights, giving them a huge advantage versus warriors for instance. It probably would just seem very unfair to others in trammel who enter dungeons only to find all the monsters are already attacking each other and a single bard running around getting all the gold.
    That said, this shard has no trammel, and I would like to argue for having provocations continuation not be tied to range. Any thoughts?
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
  2. El Horno

3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I started that thread literally two years ago at this point. Barding range does work better now, as things will not break provocation for 30s after you off screen, generally speaking. The mobs will make a range check on 30s intervals I think it is, and if you're not around, provo breaks.
    I can rock Terathan Keep solo on my bard with some fancy footwork.

I will never be in support of bards being able to provoke things and just leave and come back when they feel like it, as they did on other shards. The 30s window is plenty of time to make an efficient bank run, drop gold, restock reagents and return, without losing your provo.

Discordance will wear off in 16s if you are hiding after you successfully discord a mob. Fortunately, provocation doesn't care about hiding, only range checks. This is already a boon to bards and does not need any further adjustment or benefit in my opinion.
  4. El Horno

Ah i didn't know there was a 30 second window. As you described sounds like a great compromise.
  5. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member

Agreed. Barding is really good as-is (coming from someone with multiple bards)
  6. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

Yep barding is fine.
    Only thing i dont like is that for example balrons do come out of peace too early and my peace-dexxer is also for a discordianced balron a "two hit + spell" - so its not possible to peace-kill it like tamers could easily.
    But this maybe more a "dexxer" problem than a bard problem. (fix magic shields and also maybe less damage with high end armor -> also in full invul cant stay a discordianced balron with crossheal ..... )