Pub 16 Armors with no Powerscrolls makes dexers underwhelming

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Lunatic_High, Feb 21, 2016.

1. BIGSHOW

BIGSHOW Well-Known Member

Two of my favorite templates to play are dexers, but they are not viable in group fighting, so they don't get much play. Even my dexers have Magery as its just such a big advantage to have, lumber jack and poison fencer with magery. The deadly poison and the huge hits I get with the axe are really fun.

The thing that I hate most is that when I'm fighting a mage with wrestling, evaluate intelligence and anatomy, I feel like I can't get a hit consistently to keep them on the ropes. Wiff like 7 of 10 times.

Also, I would never want powers scrolls.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    One likes this.
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Even OSI tried to fix dexxers. They gave them a spell book, painted it white, and called it chivalry.

Oh wells, won't be a problem for long. I'm making tamers. Dragons dex way better than dexxers.
  3. Soulman

Soulman New Member

I wish healing was based off of Dex and not set at an 11 sec timer. Would definitely help survive ability but would probably want to make "slipping" decrease the amount healed a little more.
  4. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

http://www.uorenaissance.com/info/Healing
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

6. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

... been here since 2013.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Seemingly using bandages for the first time...
    wylwrk likes this.
  8. napo

napo Well-Known Member

I would also point out that the availability of vanq weapons and runics is much higher here than it was on OSI, there's a degree of era accuracy that is lost due to the greater amount of time that this server has spent in this particular era - people have had time to hoard things.
    Also, many of you new players don't know this, but there was a time early in shard history where magic weapon drop rates were "broken" and vanqs dropped like candy. This means that many older players have treasure chests filled to the brim with an inexhaustible supply of vanqs, and I am among them.

Back during this era on OSI, vanqs were relatively rare (not something you risked in pvp) and you rarely saw people use runics better than bronze. Bronze was considered the sweet spot, it did a respectable amount of damage and didn't hurt too bad to lose. The budget option was the tribal spear, which was slightly worse but quite a bit easier to get.
    Here, runics are a bit more plentiful and I feel that agapite or gold is probably the sweet spot.

Anyway, I fully expect to get blasted by a bunch people wanting to kill everyone in two hits, but I feel that much deserved pointing out.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Or the accuracy that is lost because LJs got the hard nerf here before the shard even launched. kthx Not too mention damage and armor absorption are entirely customized here to suit the 'perfect' goal of the shard.

Did everyone who played mages have 31AR on OSI for the entirety of this era, for 1500g a suit?
  10. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member

From what I remember most mages didn't even wear armor.
    One likes this.
  11. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

So do I... I miss those days *sniffle*

short pants: check
    black blessed sandals: check
    bag o' regs: check
    exceptional halberd: check
    precast-exp-hally hit-corp: checkity check check
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Exactly.

*throws mic out the window*
  13. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

Give wearing *any* armor a med penalty? Leather armor the weakest of the penalties but still a penalty, nonetheless?
  14. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Meh, at this point correctness regarding mages and armor is moot.

Tailors would need to be re-purposed. I reserve epic doubt that no armor mages or meditation penalties with leather would ever happen here.

Again, regardless of how absolutely correct both of you are.
    Alice Asteroid likes this.
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that would really sway things too far in the opposite direction. If mages didn't wear any armor, agapite or greater runics would absolutely be overpowered.

Though, in a 'perfect' world, I do think the med penalties should exist slightly with leathers (giving mages willing to risk their hides, quicker mana regeneration) then scaled for subsequent types. Like 10% with leathers, 25% studded, 50% non-plate metals, 75% plate.
    Alice Asteroid likes this.
  16. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member

If I wear just a plate gorget, do I receive the same med penalty as if I were wearing full platemail?
  17. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was wondering that as well in terms of how it could even code out. You'd have to base it on a single piece bumping you to the next tier, otherwise it would be way too complicated. So if you're wearing all dex gear but a plate gorget, you're screwed to 75%.

It could be something like a percentage based on the piece I guess. Like tunics would be 40, legs 20, arms 10, gloves 10, gorget 5, helm 10% of the total impedance value. Then give a value to each level of what type and blah blah maths.
  18. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I thought med penalty used to be tied to your armor value regardless of material used... at one point.
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I dunno about that, considering the AR values you'd get in Second Age using Protection (+10AR).
    Any armor at all was 50% reduction in med rate, if I recall correctly from UOSA.
  20. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I'm thinking precast-halbred-hauling-armorless-7x-mage days.

I vaguely remember having on plate arms and a gorget and being able to med with it on.

Oh well, doesn't matter.