Pure Warrior or Med Warrior? Things to consider

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by David Scraggs, Dec 23, 2014.

1. David Scraggs

David Scraggs Well-Known Member

Pure Warrior (wear plate mail or other heavy armor also Not really sure. Maybe good studded? open to suggestions)
    Stats
    100 str
    100 Dex
    25 Int

Skills (assume GM in all)
    Mace Fighting
    Tactics
    Parrying
    Anatomy
    Healing
    Magic Resists
    7th? Maybe another weapon skill? Split it 50/50 with two skills? I dunno Add archery? Hiding?

Or go with a Med Warrior (wear Studded Armor)

90 str
    90 dex
    65 int

Mace Fighting
    Tactics
    Anatomy
    Healing
    Magic Resists
    Magery
    Meditation

I ran a tank mage before meditation came in and did quite well.

How much does studded armor and metal armor slow down meditation?

Im new here. Have a bard/mage doing quite well with him. 3x GM and not much longer before 7x GM. Fun to play. Peace Dexxer too. ALso another super fun character to play. Almost GM'd all of his skills too. Just looking to fill a pure warrior spot or med warrior. I know there are plenty go guys out there who have a vast experience that can help me make the best decisions for this character and enlighten me to things I am over looking. Thanks in advance.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Any metal armor will impede Meditation by a drop of %50, I believe.

Due to the formula for Mind Blast, you will not ever want to run with 25 Int. MB will hit you for 37.5 damage and basically trainwreck you once PKs figure out you are "MB bait".
    The second set of stats you posited would be best for mitigating MB damage on any template. Adjust to suit but always consider MB is half of the difference between your highest and lowest stat (your second example would be 12.5 dmg).

If you want to run a warrior without Magery, be prepared to die a lot, ask for rides/gates a lot and just generally feel like you're limping for the rest of your career. While it is great for RP, it's a terrible idea to run without any Magery on that template. So if you're not going to RP a tough non-Magery warrior, at least pick up 60-70 Magery for safe travels and good heals in a pinch.

Med warriors are ok but only for their survivability. They're not going to be dealing a good deal of damage with that mana, without any Eval, so they can be fairly lackluster.
  3. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

I think you'll find 100/100/25 stats to be disappointing. Especially so without magery. Most people would take that as the seventh skill and raise Int (but maybe that's not pure enough warrior?)

As far as the med warrior goes, just wear regular leather. It's great stuff and won't mitigate your meditation at all. Seems strange to use a template named after a skill you won't be able to use. . .
  4. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

With unbalanced stats you will want to consider the effect that mind blast will have on your character.

From the compendium...
    Also you can see the various meditation penalties you will endure with various armor here.
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/itemlist/Armor
  5. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

What is your goal for the character?
  6. David Scraggs

All good things to consider. Learning from this has made me decide to adjust the stats on my Current characters. Things I didn't know. I really wanted to build a Parry/Macer while using the 700 skill points to make a great utility character. I would like them to be more warrior than mage though.

Im leaning toward the med warrior but trying to figure out how to work parrying in. I won't be wearing plate or any metal armor at all.

90 str
    90 dex
    65 int

Mace Fighting
    Tactics
    Anatomy
    Healing
    Magic Resists
    Magery
    Meditation

THought about dropping anatomy for parry. I would lose the 20% damage bonus and the healing bonuses. Decided thats a bad idea

Goal for the character is to make a Tough character that can hold their own against most creatures such as blood elementals. Using a slayer of course.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

http://www.uorenaissance.com/player/7713

That's my Parry/Macer. Tons of fun, great for PvM and great for PvP versus melee fighters.

If you're going to bother with Med, just make an Eval Tank, like Mace/Med/Mage/Res/Eval/Tact/Anat
  8. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

In that case, I wouldn't worry about balancing stats.

I also probably wouldn't advise Meditation. You're vulnerable when you cast, it slows down your swings due to lack of dex, etc. I suppose you could do some fun stuff though like cast Poison Field and draw the monster onto it, so they spend their spells curing themselves instead of firing damaging spells at you.

I'd definitely go with Maces... their slayers seem to be the cheapest, and reducing the monster stamina of course helps them hit you less.

Parrying could be OK, but the major issue with it in my eyes is that 1H maces are really bad from a damage-per-second standpoint. War Hammer and Qstaff really dwarf them.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I swear Dalavar PvMs with Dexxers on some other shard where mobs don't Mind Blast.

I would always and forever balance my stats on any character that is likely to be hit by spells. My bard, not a big deal.

PS: Clubs are pretty badass for one-handers. ;)
  10. Cero

Cero Well-Known Member

If you want to go the route of a parrier then I would go with the build blaise has, macing is great for this but you could also throw in swords as well, their 1h slayers are fairly cheap and you can always carry a poisoned blade around to help tic some health down.

As far as stats go, always balance! MB seems to be the most used spell by all mobs...I personally run with 95/85/45
  11. David Scraggs

I have been doing some reading on other templates used on this server. There are some very interesting things going on with damage bonuses and with other skills. Such as a scribe/mage. Never heard of one or a Nox/Mage. Can't seem to find a thread that describes the bonuses outright and the compendium only says "Inscription is used to craft spell scrolls and spell books. It also provides an effectiveness bonus to the following spells. Reactive Armor,Magic Reflection and Protection."

Not how much of a bonus. Anyway thats off target for this template

str 90
    dex 90
    int 65

Macing = 100
    Anatomy = 100
    Tactics = 100
    Healing = 100
    Resisting Spells = 100
    Magery = 100
    Meditation = 100

I may dump meditation and use parrying. 50% chance to block an attack with a shield but thats only blocking the melee attack. Next question…How much does Magic resist decrease the damage or delfect the magical damage? The compendium doesn't mention it.
  12. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

"str 90
    dex 90
    int 65"

This adds up to 245. You only have 225 points to play with. Its 90 90 45 or 80 80 65.

EDIT: I fail at quoting...
  13. David Scraggs

lol I fail at basic addition.

How does 85str 90dex 50int sound? I can still ress people with magery
  14. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

It sounds fine other than my brain not being able to deal with odd number Str since you get an hp point every 2 str.

If you want big hits but not as many and plan on hunting good 2hd weapons, I swould suggest 100-75-50. Specially without parrying. If you have magery and med and wear Studded you want big hits. Keep Blessing and drinking agility pots and your heal timer and swing time won't be bad at all.

Good luck
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I won't fuck with that either and always run an even number in Strength.
    Halabinder likes this.
  16. Petrus

Petrus Member

deleted
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
  17. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Whats the strength bonus to damage? I thought 100 strength was +20%. So thats a % for every 5 points correct?
  18. Petrus

Petrus Member

Whats your opinion on replacing healing with eval int, keeping a bit of meditation (up to 50) for passive regen rate bonus, and using magery to heal yourself instead of healing? Oh, and no shield either, might get in the way, this would be a 2 handed wep build.

If you GM'd anatomy, eval, magery, magic resist, weapon skill, tactics, you'd have 100 points left to play with.

You could either take some amount of lumberjacking for a damage bonus and use no healing, or maybe take up to cure rate healing (65?) and put the rest into meditation in either case. It's not much meditation, but you only have half of the mana of a mage. It'd be best to wear some of the best leather armors you could get, further slowing it down. The main purpose of the mana would be to heal and buff/cure. For PvM, metal armor would be good in many cases.

Sure it's not a true med warrior, if there is such a thing, but more of a dexxer with some specialization in back up magic. You could cast resurrect, cure and greater heal completely bypassing the 'need' for the healing skill while also being able to cast EV (PvM) with the eval bonus which also applies to your greater heals and cure strength.

For PvP, you could fight like a dexxer but heal through dumps like a mage. You only have half of the mana and a third of the regen rate of a PvP mage template but you aren't really using your magic offensively in the same manner at all, relying on melee damage. When PvPing a mage it'd probably be reasonable to wear no armor at all.

When fighting a traditional dexxer that uses healing and armor, if he's any good at it, you might just want to pack your bags, lol. But then again, you'd have a snowball's chance if you wore metal armor. Bless yourself, curse them, poison them continously, maybe paralyze them to heal yourself, if that works.
  19. David Scraggs

I bought some really good studded armor in preparation for this character. Tried it out on my peace/dexxer. It was destroyed in one fight by an elf with a war hammer. I learned some things though. Its expensive to run studded armor on a warrior. Costs to much to repair. I think a character with GM tailoring and GM smithing should be able to repair studded and tailor should be able to repair leather. Just my opinion. Second. Med on a warrior is that has to wear metal armor is a waste of a waste of 100 skill points. Also when you need anatomy for so many reasons and healing can be used to resurrect and cure when it is GM'd so healing is a no brainer for a warrior. First resource for healing should be the healing skill. Second would be pots and third would be running away to cast GH. GM magery will be useful though for a few reasons. I can cast anything I need to cast with it and with 55 int I can cast EV on a blood ele (for example) and let it take a lot of damage while I beat it down with a war hammer and finish him off with that. The reason for the 55 int is it will take less time to regen back to 11 mana for a quick recall if I need or greater heal if needed and lessens the effect of a mind blast is a nice bonus too. The magery will also lend nice bonuses to defensive spells to such as reactive armor and bless. At GM it will throw the first 33 points of damage back at the attacker. Not a lot but it will help! at GM magery Bless would offer me 10 to each stat which is pretty nice. I think those are the two biggest for a warrior as far as defensive spells go. So what Im thinking is

Str 90
    dex 80
    int 55

Anatomy
    Parry
    Healing
    Magery
    MagicResist
    Tactics
    Macing

Or basically what Blaise was running but with slightly different stats. Parry could easily be dropped and a second skill picked up such as fencing or archery. I mostly mention this because I may do that and use a war hammer….Those things fuck stuff up and stamina is robbed big time!
  20. Petrus

Petrus Member

I agree that leather should be repairable, that'd be a really cool, progressive addition that wouldn't hurt or unbalance anyone, IMO.

In regards to the magery and meditation, I have a couple of reasons that I'll list as to why I have my preferences with that.

I think fencing or macing would be better than swords for this type of template though only because of the sheer scarcity of available points. Not taking lumberjacking could afford one alot of points for healing and meditation.

If this server is like the previous server I played, evaluate intelligence makes energy vortex way, way stronger. It also makes your greater heals heal more hit points (i think), and has various other percs throughout the spellbook that in my opinion, kind of make or break the spells usefulness. As I said, if it's like the previous server I was playing on, energy vortex without evaluate intelligence was pretty wimpy and sometimes didn't even deadly poison, and it did alot less damage per hit.

Not to mention, if this is true, any offensive spells you might use in PvP would be mostly useless and resisted. While you might could take a mage without offensive magic, it'd be hard to beat a good dexxer as a med warrior without it.

Another perc of evaluate intelligence is that if GM'd and paired with anatomy, you get the defensive wrestling thing that effectively acts as 100 wrestling when determining hit chance on you while you're empty handed, so there'd be no need to 'run away' to heal, anymore so than usual. But this would be hard to manage if you had parrying and a shield to deal with unequipping also.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2014