PvM Dexxer Build - OssyTank

Discussion in 'Photography & Videography' started by Keza, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I'm sure archery would be, it's just finding a good bows will be a problem. :(
  2. diran

diran Well-Known Member

Could you go with something like this @Keza
    GM Swords
    90 Tactics
    GM Anatomy
    GM Veterinary
    GM Animal Lore
    80 taming
    GM Healing
    30 Magery

I would like to be able to control frenzied i could go up to 90 taming and drop healing to 90 again
  3. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member

4. Imbol

Imbol Active Member

Can I just borrow it?

I have a lovely outfit to match. ;)
    Killian and Ahirman like this.
  5. Andrakus

Andrakus Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of using this build for my lumberjack/dexxer. If you don't have animal lore/vet can this still work with just healing?
  6. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Sadly no, when using bandages on any tame the skill applied is from animal lore/vet. Your anatomy/healing can work on mercenaries, hirelings. I have a video "Hirelings Explained" that goes over how to use them as temporary tanks.
  7. Baler

Baler Well-Known Member

Thanks again for all your amazing videos Keza. You inspired me to try this shard and it was your frenzy ozzy tank build guide that got me started!
    I try to recommend it as much as possible to new players. The dps is bonkers and it's not that hard to play.

If anyone reading this has never tried this build, please give it a shot. This build makes dragons look super slow at killing.
    And if any new players are looking for frenzy ostards I have a bunch I'd be willing to part with. Decent stats too.
    Keza likes this.
  8. Andrakus

Andrakus Well-Known Member

I see... I think I am finally accepting that you really need some sort of tamer or vet skill to get far in the game. Even with my provomage i can only get so far. I'll do fine with general mobs but when i come upon a obsidian garg or diseased blood or some boss that i cannot bard and i have to just run for the hills. It sucks because thats where the good stuff is at.
  9. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

@Andrakus yes, the higher-end game play for PvM is pretty much all dragons. Champs, The Harrower, and the bosses you mentioned are killed by tamers with dragons 99.9% of the time.
  10. Bruzzer

Bruzzer New Member

Interesting, Looks like fun I think I'll give this build a try, how does it compare with a Provo dexxer when it comes to goldmaking ?
  11. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Not as much gold/hr as a provo can engage several targets at once and typically work more difficult areas like balrons or Tera keep. One BIG advantage of the ossytank is its power vs. single targets (provo lacks this) It may not seem like a big deal but during Xmas and other events you will find most event enemies alone. Unless there in another semi-powerful monster or animal around, a provo dexxer cant do much.

Example of my more recent ossytank tracker doing some Xmas spawn hunting.
    Baler likes this.
  12. Bruzzer

Bruzzer New Member

Nice videos btw,

OK i see, thanks.

it also seems that this build may be a solution for those who are tired of peacemaking being broken on higher end mobs. As has been mentioned earlier in the thread this could be a good battle miner build too, particularly with macing.
    Xavant_BR likes this.
  13. Bruzzer

Bruzzer New Member

Sorry for all the questions but this is my first time using taming, veterinary and animal lore, I read what I could find in the compendium.

Is 70 animal lore enough to consistently control a regular forest ostard ? What skills are needed to use a pack of forest ostards (say 4) ? Do I have to be dismounted to use a pack?

I'm trying for a battle miner build with the following skills...
    GM Macing
    Tactics
    Anatomy
    Veterinary
    Mining
    80 Healing
    70 Animal lore
    50 magery

I'm completely open to your suggestions as I'm in new territory here.

The ossy tank build seems to be really versatile which is awesome.

Thank you very much as always Keza.
  14. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Better to try this:

Macing
    90 Tactics
    Anatomy
    Veterinary
    Mining
    90 Healing
    100 Animal lore
    20 magery

You wont need a pack for mining though. Most elementals take reduced or NO damage from pets. One ostard for tanking them will be enough :)
    Xavant_BR likes this.
  15. Sapharious

Sapharious Active Member

Wait... you can pull skills out into tabs! I have been playing since I got my $3 beta CD and don't think I ever knew that!
  16. Bruzzer

Bruzzer New Member

Cool, I forgot about elementals taking reduced damage from pets, even so I think it will be an advantage not to have to worry about peace being broken on more powerful single monsters.

Thanks.
    Keza likes this.
  17. Serious

Serious Active Member

This build idea made me sign up on the forums and start to play on the server after only reading for a long time. Thank you Keza :)
    Ouroboros and Keza like this.
  18. Sapharious

Sapharious Active Member

Thank you for these great videos Keza. I turned my Lumberjack into an OssyJack using it.
    100 LJ
    100 Sword
    100 Tact
    100 Anat
    100 Heal
    100 Vet
    100 A. Lore

He has to kick start recall off scrollbook, use moongates, or be gated but it isn't that bad.
    I was very impressed at how easily he brought down an Ogre Lord! He will make a good non-magic using holiday creature hunter.

One thing I did learn: With 0 taming you cannot bond with forest ostard. I had to buy taming into 30s by taking it from Anatomy, then bond, then re-macro Anatomy back to GM.
    Keza likes this.
  19. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Ya, its strange because a freshly tamed forest ostard can be bonded with as little as 10 animal taming. However, if you have trained their combat skills it takes closer to 25 taming to bond. (training combat skills also increases barding difficulty) not sure if there is a connection.
  20. Sapharious

Sapharious Active Member

Ahh good to know in case I lose this one... don't let it fight... feed it and stable it. :)