Question About Fishing

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Rheanon, Sep 17, 2017.

1. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

It's all a roll of the dice. I've had nights where I got a lot in just a few nets and I've had night's where I go thru 100 nets and don't get any. Gotta pray to the RNG.

It's hard to set an average
  2. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Can you only get colored amib through the fishing nets? I get the regular bottle from sea serpents without using nets.
  3. Savage

Savage Well-Known Member

All the AMiB's I fished up came from Serpents caught on a pole. The Compendium says at 100 Skill you have a 1 in 20 chance to get it as loot.
    But I would imagine any serpent caught net or pole would give the chance, Krakens as well.

0-65 - On land you will fish up Footwear, Magic Fish, and Normal Fish.
    80+ - Sea Serpents (No SoS Message), Special Fishing Nets.
    90+ - Treasure Maps 95+ - You can reel in Big Fish which can be used to make Trophys via Taxidermi Kits.
    100 - Messages in a Bottle (aka MIB) / Waterstained SoS Message
    100 - Ancient Messages in a Bottle (1 in 20)
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  4. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

You get amibs from both netting and pole fishing. With nets when you get an amib, you pull up a NPC pirate ship (with loot chests), a shipwrecked kraken (with an amib), and maybe a couple of serps. With pole fishing, you'll just pull up a shipwrecked kraken by itself.

Keep in mind that only krakens named "a shipwrecked kraken" have amibs. If you just get "a kraken", it won't.

Amibs and mibs are different. Amibs don't look like bottles, like mibs do. Amibs look like a colored rolled map.
    Jill Stihl and Cheapsuit like this.
  5. Daenerys

Daenerys Member

As i understand it, getting an AMIB from a shipwrecked kraken from regular fishing is extremely rare. I did get a few but counting the hours I put in fishing, it comes out to MAYBE one every 48 hours of fishing w 3 fishers. I am not 100% sure this is a real number but it seems like a VERY low chance proposition
  6. compsays

compsays Active Member

That sounds about right, based on the hours I've so far put in with my 3 fishers.
  7. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

I know it seems like amibs are rare, but I can tell you from experience that amibs come up more often than Big Fish.
  8. Cheapsuit

The fishing macro I use only attack the serpents less than half of the time. It isn't dependable so I would dare try to fish with 3 fishermen. I fish with only one rod and have an extra character for reinforcement. Someone should make a macro that will provo if more than one serp or krak spawn, and peace if only one spawns.
  9. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

Fishing macros are an ever changing work in progress. I tweak mine all the time. Just keep working on your macro and you'll get it to work right. :)
  10. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

@compsays @Daenerys

You wanna shoot for the rarest fishing loot you can pull out of a fishing monster (I'm not including amib rares in this), watch out for colored fishing nets. They used to come up all the time. Up until about 6 months ago, I could fish for a full "shift" (8-12 hours straight) and get anywhere from 1-3 of them in a night. @Chris tells me there was no change to the drop rate but at one point, about 6 months ago, they just stopped coming. They still come up now and then, but they're extremely rare.

They used to sell for 50-100k, but I'm sure they might go for more now since they're coming up less.

I have a Blaze hue fishing net that I keep in one of my houses.
    compsays likes this.
  11. compsays

compsays Active Member

Got 3 big fish in about 4 days' worth of fishing and obviously plenty of nets/TMaps/MIBs but I haven't fished a coloured fishing net up yet. I've been saving all the common green fishing nets I get out of the guts of serpents for the time when my 3 fishers' magery and healing is high enough to give decent cover in the event of a heavier spawn.
  12. Cheapsuit

Share your macros guys!! :)
  13. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

If you have a tamer, it's really fun to go after nets with a tamer with some dragons and a mare.
  14. compsays

compsays Active Member

Not much point in mine, I don't think. Because of the danger of the AFK gump, and the fact I'm running 3 fishermen at the same time, I'm only partly mechanised, which I know isn't terribly efficient.

I have one macro that each fisherman just fishes 8 points of the compass from where he stands on deck.

Whoever's ordering the tillerman about has a line at the end of his cycle that tells the tillerman to move in a given direction. 3 seconds later he says "Stop", and the cycle begins.

This gives me a decent compromise between efficiency and avoiding the AFK gump (except when the phone rings and I go AFK, like it did yesterday afternoon :eek: )
  15. compsays

compsays Active Member

If I can permit myself a near-pun, given that this is a water-based thread ( :)), I like to swim against the tide here; I don't have a single tamer (except the odd character high enough to tame a horse), and I don't have a single bard/provoer. Maybe one day, but I don't yearn for any of the delights those things bring, and there are so many other things I wan't to do first before I consider either.
  16. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

My forum sig has a link to the Kirby Fishing System. The first line of that thread also has links to 2 more fishing macros ( @Ahirman and @Cynic )
  17. Cheapsuit

Wouldn't bard fishermen be more effective?

fishing
    magery
    med
    eval
    music
    peace
    provoke
  18. Cheapsuit

Can some intelligent man/woman/boy/girl/other/ please make a fishing macro that will provoke if more than one creature spawns, and peace if only one spawns?
  19. Cade

Cade Member

Thats crazy... Ive been fishing for 2 straight days now... 6 big fish.. ZERO AMIBs.

:(
  20. Cheapsuit

I'm also curious if exceptional crafted rods will yield better results than regular rods? I've been using the newbiefied rod that was created with my character.